Landed Estates
NUI Galway
Reference Source

PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII

Source Details

Category Contemporary printed sources

Estate Records Citing this Source

Found 287 estate records citing this source.

Reference Estate Name Estate Description
50 & 53 Orme (Owenmore) The Orme family owned extensive property in county Mayo and also around the village of Enniscrone in...
50 & 52 Ormsby (Ballinamore) The Ballinamore estate, in the parish of Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, was granted to the...
50 Miller (Milford) A family of Cromwellian settlers who were granted over 1,000 acres in the parishes of Kilmainemore a...
50 Browne (Neale) A family established at The Neale, county Mayo, from the 16th century which they were regranted alon...
51 & 60. Ormsby Gore LordHarlech's estate held land in the baronies of Leyny, Tireragh and Tirerrill in county Sligo as w...
51, 56 & 59 Moore (Moore Hall) An estate in the parishes of Ballintober, Ballyovey and Burriscarra in the barony of Carra, county M...
51 McDougall At the time of Griffith's Valuation William McDougall of Drumlish, Howth, county Dublin, held 769 ac...
51 Bartley At the time of Griffith's Valuation George Bartley, also spelt Bartlett, held the townlands of Rosto...
51 & 57 Stoney James Butler Stoney and his son, Robert Vesey Stoney, built up a considerable estate in the Burrisho...
51 Bingham The Binghams were military commanders sent to Connacht in the 16th century, where they settled in th...
51 - 53 & 55 Knox (Castle Lackan) The Knoxes of Castle Lackan, parish of Killala, barony of Tirawley and later of Creagh, parish of Ba...
51 Blake (Ballinafad) In the early 17th century a younger son of the Blake family of Ballyglunin, county Galway, acquired...
48, 51 & 56 Russell In 1853 the Dalgan estate was bought by the Duke of Bedford for Lady de Clifford, who was the wife o...
51 Gore (Castle Gore) In 1666 the Gores were granted extensive estates, over 14,700 acres, in the barony of Tirawley, coun...
51 Logan Lieutenant Colonel Abraham Logan of the Barracks, Kinsale, county Cork, owned 1118 acres in county M...
51 More O'Ferrall The More O'Ferralls inherited an estate in the parishes of Bekan, Annagh and Aghamore in the barony...
51 Robertson At the time of Griffith's Valuation Caleb Robertson was the lessor of several properties in the pari...
51 O'Donel Some of the O'Donnells of Ulster settled in county Mayo in the 17th century, initially in the Ballyc...
51 & 53 Crampton Members of the Crampton family were rectors of the parishes of Headford on the border between counti...
51 Rutherford At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Rutherfords were leasing Turin, parish of Kilmainemore, baro...
51, 53 & 57 Brabazon This family were descended from Sir Anthony Brabazon of Ballinasloe Castle, a younger brother of Sir...
51 Waller (Newport) The first Waller came to Ireland as a soldier in Cromwell's army. Branches of the family settled at...
51 Bingham (Annagh) This family was a junior branch of the Binghams of Newbrook, parish of Robeen, county Mayo, who inhe...
51 Gibbings (Co Mayo) In the 1870s the Reverend Richard Gibbings, Professor of Ecclesiastical History at Trinity College,...
52 Fair (Fortville) In 1788 Robert Fair of Ballyjennings, parish of Kilmainemore, county Mayo, was leasing lands from a...
51 Coyne/Kyne At the time of Griffith's Valuation Anthony Coyne/Kyne held a large acreage of rough land in the bar...
52 Pratt The Jackson estate at Enniscoe, parish of Crossmolina, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo became the pr...
52 McGloin In the mid 1870s John McGloin of Foxford, county Mayo owned 1078 acres in the parish of Killasser, b...
52 & 56 Lyons Dean John Patrick Lyons, Parish Priest of Kilmore Erris, and his brother Luke held land in the Bingh...
52, 53 & 61 Knox Gore James Knox of Broadlands Park (1774-1818) was the third son of Francis Knox of Rappa Castle. Both h...
52 Lindsey (Hollymount) This branch of the Lindsey family were descended from a younger son of the first Lindsey of Turin, p...
52 Knox /Blake Knox (Moyne Abbey) The senior branch of the Knox family in county Mayo who were descended from William Knox of Castlere...
53 FitzGerald (Turlough) This family from Gorteens in county Kilkenny was transplanted to county Mayo under the Cromwellian s...
53 Clive (Croy Lodge) By the time of Griffith's Valuation Reverend Archer Clive of Herefordshire, England, had bought some...
53 Joynt At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry Joynt held seven townlands in the parish of Templemore, ba...
53 Bingham (Newbrook) This estate was founded by John Bingham of Foxford, county Mayo, younger brother of Sir Henry Bingha...
53 White (Lady Mary) In the 1870s Lady Mary White of 31 Montagu Square, London owned 2128 acres in county Mayo valued at...
53 & 60. Knox (Mount Falcon) An estate in the parish of Ballynahaglish, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, previously belonging to...
53 Clive (Rock House) George Clive, Member of Parliament and barrister, of Perrystone Court, Herefordshire, built up an ex...
53 Carey In the mid 19th century the Carey family, merchants of Belmullet, held lands in the parish of Kilcom...
53 McCarrick/McCarrig At the time of Griffith's Valuation various members of the McCarrick family held townlands in the pa...
53 Lynch (Ballycurrin) An estate in the parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, in the possession of the Lynch f...
53 McDonnell (Cloonagh) In 1837 Mathias McDonnell was given an assignment of the lease of the Octagon House in Westport, by...
53 Kennedy In the mid 1870s Charles Preston Kennedy of Inisherkin, Newport, county Mayo and Victor C. Kennedy o...
53 Chapman Sir Benjamin and William Chapman, two members of the Chapman family of Killua Castle, county Westmea...
54 Lynch (Partry) Sir Henry Lynch of Castlecarra, granted his mother the lands of Cloonlagheen, parish of Ballyovey, b...
54 D'Arcy (Newforest) This branch of the D'Arcy family were descended from Martin D'Arcy, second son of James 'Riveagh' D'...
54 Acton (Bridgemount) The Acton family had an estate of over a thousand acres in the parish of Drum, barony of Carra, coun...
54 Domvile The Domviles bought the county Mayo estate of the Trench family of Heywood, ,Queen's County [county...
45, 48 & 54 Churcher By 1876 Emanuel Churcher of Gosport, Hampshire, England, had bought some of the estate of James Thor...
54 Kenny (Ballinrobe) A family established in the Ballinrobe area, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, from the late 17th cen...
54 Crichton (Erne) The Earls of Erne owned property in several western counties including Sligo and Mayo. This was acqu...
54 Browne (Westport) A very large estate in county Mayo, much of it formerly Bourke property, was acquired by Colonel Joh...
43, 45 & 54 Vesey (Castlebar) George Vesey of Castlebar held the townland of Cahernabrock, parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, c...
54 O'Donnell (Kilcommon Erris) Some of the O'Donnell family of Ulster moved south into the barony of Erris in the 17th century and...
55 Seymour Reverend Donnellan Bolingbroke Seymour was born in Dover, England. He was the son of Colonel Eyre...
55 Browne (Castlemagarret) The Brownes of Carrowbrowne, parish of Oranmore, county Galway, had estates in the counties Galway,...
55, 56 & 61. Nicholson (Kilmoremoy) A John Nicholson was granted about a thousand acres in the baronies of Tireragh, county Sligo and Ga...
55 Kirkwood (Glencarha) The Kirkwoods owned an estate in the parish of Kilgarven, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. In 1876 Jo...
55 Toler The Earl of Norbury held land in various parts of Ireland including counties Sligo, Mayo and Clare,...
55 Griffith (Claremorris) James H. Griffith appears to have owned part of the Browne of Claremont estate, in particular the la...
55 Garvey (Murrisk) Under the Acts of Settlement the Garveys were granted lands at Murrisk and Carrowkeel in the parish...
55 Livingstone William Livingstown, a Westport merchant, had extensive business interests all over county Mayo in t...
55 Gibbons At the time of Griffith's Valuation Matthew Gibbons held one townland in the parish of Islandeady an...
55 Bourke (Bunacrower) The Earls of Mayo held an estate in the parishes of Kilmainemore and Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine,...
55 Crean A family transplanted to county Mayo from county Galway under the Cromwellian settlement. The Crean...
55 Sheffield John Charles Sheffield bought the Arbuthnot estate in the parish of Crossboyne, barony of Clanmorris...
46 & 55 Clements & Caulfeild The Rosshill estate in the parishes of Ross, Cong and Ballinchalla, barony of Ross, county Galway, w...
55 Cooper (Markree) Edward Cooper was a soldier in Richard Coote [Lord Collooney]'s, regiment of horse. He is known in...
55 Buchanan (Prospect) The Buchanans, a legal family, had a small estate of church land at Fahburren, in the parish of Ough...
55 McCormack In the early 1850s William McCormack of the Irish Beetroot and Sugar Manufacturing Company bought mo...
45, 47 & 55 Guinness Sir Benjamin Lee Guinness of the famous brewing family began to purchase Connacht estates for sale i...
55 Jordan (Rosslevin) The Jordans owned an estate in the barony of Gallen throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. At the t...
56 Atkinson (Glencastle) Matthew Atkinson, a Dublin lawyer and son of Charles Atkinson of Rahans, parish of Ballynahaglish, b...
56 Mostyn George Charles Mostyn, 6th Lord Vaux, bought Derryloughan East, West and South, parish of Burrishool...
56 Achill Mission The O'Donel estate on the island of Achill was bought by Trustees of the Achill Mission in associati...
56 Pike William Pike bought 7,791 acres of Carrickkildavnet, Dereen and Shraheens, parish of Achill, barony...
45 & 56 Chevers (Killian/Killyan) The Chevers/Cheevers family originally owned estates in counties Wexford and Meath. Following their...
56 Richey In the mid 19th century Alexander George Richey, historian and author of books on land law, held an...
52 Blake (Towerhill & Bunowen) The Blakes of Menlo Castle, county Galway, held the lands of Clonyne and Clooneen or Towerhill, pari...
52 Lynch/Crean Lynch A junior branch of the Lynch Blosse family baronets, who obtained leases of the Clogher estate, in t...
52 McDermott (Ramore/Rathmore) James Anthony McDermott of Ramore married Mary Agnes Blake of Cregg Castle in the early 19th century...
52 McDermott (Cloongee) The McDermotts owned Cloongee in the parish of Templemore, barony of Gallen, and also a townland in...
43 & 52 Kelly (St Helens) J. William Kelly of St Helens, Westport, county Mayo, purchased some of the county Mayo estate of th...
52 Rawson A small estate in the parishes of Bohola and Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo was held by the...
53 Grant (Lagduff) Henry John Grant owned an estate in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris, county Mayo at the tim...
55 Reilly In the mid 19th century John Reilly prospered in business in the town of Belmullet and began to acqu...
55 Larpent In 1895 the 3rd and last Baron Larpent married Rose widow of Lieutenant Colonel T. Camden Lambert of...
55 O'Rorke (Oldcastle) The O'Rorkes owned an estate in the parish of Meelick, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, which they app...
50 Perkins John Perkins was agent for some of the property owned by the Gores, Earls of Arran in the first half...
44 & 53 Ruttledge (Bloomfield) In May 1749, Peter Ruttledge of Cornfield and Carrowkillen, parish of Robeen, barony of Kilmaine, co...
44 & 45 O'Flahertie (Lemonfield) The O'Flaherties of Lemonfield are descended from the O'Flaherties of Aughnenure Castle near Oughter...
45 Digby (Aran) The Aran Islands comprised three parishes: Inisheer, Inishmaan and Inishmore, all in the barony of A...
45 Berridge In 1872 the Ballynahinch estate in county Galway, was bought by Richard Berridge, a London brewer, f...
46 Kendall In the mid 19th century John Kendall, a London lawyer, bought the estate of the Morrises of Ballinab...
47 Lighton At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend Sir Christopher Lighton held 4 townlands in the par...
46 & 47 O'Hara (Lenaboy) The O'Haras of Lenaboy had been established in the town of Galway since the early 18th century and m...
47 Graham (Ballynakill Lodge) Patrick Melvin writes that the Grahams bought a 6000 acre estate at Ballynakill, barony of Ballynahi...
47 Campbell Lord Campbell gained possession of the Moycullen and West Barna estates of Andrew Henry Lynch in the...
47 Morris (Spiddle/Spiddal) In 1684, George Morris who had served in the army of King James II married Catherine Fitzpatrick and...
43 O'Kelly (Creeraun) Teige Kelly was granted 191 acres in Creeraun, parish of Ballymacward, barony of Tiaquin, county Gal...
43 Blakeney (Abbert) Robert Blakeney, a member of a family of Elizabethan settlers, was granted lands at Castle Blakeney,...
43 & 59 McDonnell (Dunmore) Martin McDonnell was a merchant from Roscommon who prospered significantly in the mid 19th century....
43 Roche (Ryehill) In the late 18th century the Ryehill estate in the parish of Monivea, barony of Tiaquin, county Galw...
43 Mahon (Belleville) The Mahons bought the Belleville estate in the parish of Monivea, barony of Clare, county Galway, fr...
44 Digby (Moat Lodge) The Digby's title to their estate in the barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, commenced with the marria...
44 & 48 Cornwall At the time of Griffith's Valuation Matthew Cornwall held 3 townlands in the parish and barony of Ki...
44 Armstrong (Clooncah) The Armstrongs owned an estate of 1,520 acres in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballymoe, coun...
44 Redington (Kilcornan) The Redington family estate was centred on their house at Kilcornan. This had previously been a Burk...
44 Gore (Baronet) In the mid 1850s Sir St George Gore, 8th Baronet, held at least 15 townlands in the parishes of Boyo...
45 Comyn (Kilconnell) Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' states that Andrew Comyn of Ryefield, county Roscommon, married...
45 Lattey A document in a Galway solicitors' collection records Arthur Pittar Lattey and Robert John Lattey, b...
45 Lynch/Crean Lynch A junior branch of the Lynch Blosse family baronets, who obtained leases of the Clogher estate, in t...
46 Lynch (Ballymoe) At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Lynch of Galway held three townlands in the parish of Kilc...
46 Bellew (Mountbellew) The Bellew family of Williamstown, county Louth, were granted lands in the parish of Moylough, baron...
46 Henry (Toghermore) Hugh Robert Henry, a younger son of Hugh Henry of Lodge Park, Straffan, county Kildare was the first...
47 Dering George Edward Dering of Lockleys, Hertfordshire, inherited the Dunmore, county Galway estate of his...
47 Kirwan (Blindwell) Descended from a younger son of the Kirwans of Gardenfield, the Kirwans of Blindwell, built up a sub...
47 Richardson In the mid 19th century Thomas Richardson owned the Tiaquin estate in the parish of Monivea, barony...
48 Hallam C.M.Hallam with an address at Murvey Lodge, Roundstone, county Galway, owned 1073 acres in the count...
48 Thomson The Salrock/Salruck estate, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, originally belonged to the Miller...
46 Blake (Ballyglunin) In ''Blake Family Records'' Martin J. Blake states that Martin Blake of Cummer, county Galway, purch...
45 & 46 Fitzgerald/Vesey Fitzgerald Catherine Vesey Fitzgerald was elevated to the peerage of Ireland as Baroness Fitzgerald and Vesey i...
47 Martin (Bushy Park) Robert Martin held an estate in the parishes of Kilcummin and Kilannin, barony of Moycullen, county...
47 Newcomen In the late 17th century a junior branch of the Newcomen family of county Longford moved to Knock, c...
48 Henry (Toghermore) Hugh Robert Henry, a younger son of Hugh Henry of Lodge Park, Straffan, county Kildare was the first...
45 Smyth (Portlick Castle) From the early 18th century the Smyths of Portlick Castle, near Athlone, county Westmeath, owned a s...
47 Kirwan (Cregg) The Kirwans of Galway city were established at Cregg Castle in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of C...
43, 47 & 57 McDonnell (Roscommon) Griffith's Valuation shows that Farrell McDonnell was in possession of a townland in the parish of A...
45 Taaffe (Kilkelly) The Taaffe estate contained lands in the parishes of Bekan, Kilmovee, Annagh and Aghamore, barony of...
46 St. George (Headford) The St Georges were a Cambridgeshire family who were granted lands in the Headford area by the Cromw...
46 Joyce (Rusheen) In the 1870s Martin B. Joyce of Rusheen, Clonbur, county Galway, owned 6,059 acres in county Galway....
47 Joyce (Corgary) An estate bought by Walter Joyce of Mervue from the French family in 1806. In the mid 19th century i...
47 Murphy (Donaghpatrick) At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of John W. Murphy owned seven townlands in t...
44 Day At the time of Griffith's Valuation William M. Day held land in the parish of Kilbennan, barony of D...
45 & 46 Stannus Walter Trevor Stannus of the Manor House, Lisburn, county Antrim is recorded as the owner of almost...
57 Talbot (Mount Talbot) The Talbots were descended from a younger son of the Talbots of Malahide in the 16th century. They w...
57 Caulfeild (Dunamon) The Dunamon estate was held under a lease for 500 years from John King, Lord Kingston to Thomas Caul...
57 Sandford/Wills Sandford The descendants of Captain Theophilus Sandford of Moyglare, county Meath, settled at Castlerea, coun...
57 Pim (Co Roscommon) In the 1850s Thomas Pim junior held land in the parishes of Cam and Kiltoom, barony of Athlone, coun...
58 McIvor In the 1850s the Reverend James McIvor held 3 townlands in the parish of Taghboy, barony of Athlone,...
58 & 59 Waithman Robert William Waithman, a member of a Lancashire family, came to Ireland in the 1860s and purchased...
59 Newton (Carna) In the 1870s Philip Newton of the Newton family of Dunleckney Manor, Bagenalstown, county Carlow, ow...
59 St George (Cam) In 1703 Henry St George of Athlone purchased lands in the baronies of Athlone and Moycarn, county Ro...
59 Capell Griffith's Valuation as well as sale notices for the Landed Estates Court show that the Earl of Esse...
59 & 60. Crichton Sir Alexander Crichton of Seal Grove, Kent married Frances Dodwell in 1800. She was the heiress of E...
43. Lewis (Galway) An Aylward property from the 17th century, which passed by a marriage in 1824 to a branch of the Lew...
43. Daly (Raford) The Daly family of Raford were descended from the Dalys of Carnakelly. The Raford estate was bought...
43. Taylor (Clontuskert) Lands in the barony of Clonmacnowen, county Galway, were granted to Walter Taylor in December 1678....
43. Fair (Levally) In the early 19th century a branch of the Fair family held the lands of Levally and Cappagory situat...
44 & 57 Stanley James Stanley is recorded as the lessor of several townlands in the parish of Killinny, barony of Ki...
44. Lahiff The Lahiff family held property in various parishes in the barony of Kiltartan. They occupied a hous...
44. St. George (Tyrone House) The St.George estate was centred on the house at Tyrone, parish of Drumacoo, barony of Dunkellin, bu...
45. Joyce (Mervue) The Joyces of Mervue, Corgary and Rahasane were all descended from a family of Joyces long establish...
45. Nugent (Pallas) In 1677 Thomas Nugent was granted an estate of 3,250 acres in the baronies of Leitrim and Longford,...
45. Revington Thomas Revington is recorded as the owner of over 700 acres in county Galway in the 1870s as well as...
45. Macready (Galway) Robert Macready of Dublin is recorded as owning over 500 acres in county Galway in the 1870s as well...
45 & 60. Dodwell The Dodwell family were present in Sligo since the 17th century. . In 1800 Frances Dodwell of Carro...
45. Daly (Dunsandle & Carnakelly) The Daly family of Dunsandle derived from Daly of Carnakelly in the parish of Kiltullagh. They bough...
57 O'Conor (Dundermot) A branch of the O'Conor Don family who resided at Dundermot for 2 generations in the 19th century. I...
57 O'Conor Don The O'Conor Don ancestral lands were in County Roscommon centred on Clonalis House near Castlerea....
57 Mahon/Pakenham-Mahon In February 1666 Captain Nicholas Mahon was granted over 2,700 acres in the barony of Roscommon and...
57 Russell (Slane) Thomas Russell, of Slane or Nobber, county Meath, is recorded as owning almost 700 acres in county G...
45. Gregory The Coole estate was purchased by Robert Gregory from the Martyns of Tullira in 1768 on his return f...
45 Cullen (Kilkerrin) The 'Parke' Cullens were another branch of the Cullen family of Manor Hamilton, county Leitrim. The...
45. O'Hara (Raheen) It was to the Raheen area that some of the Kilkelly family moved when they were deprived of lands a...
46. Hemsworth The Hemsworth family descend from the Reverend Thomas Hemsworth of Abbeville, county Tipperary, rect...
46. Forster (Blake Forster) The Forster family were of English origin who first acquired property in Galway in the 1640s. The pr...
47. Turbett/Turbott The townland of Kilmacshane (Turbett) contains 2,167 acres in the parish of Clonfert, barony of Long...
47. Holmes (Rockwood) In 1853 John Galway Holmes bought 271 acres of Carraghy, parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, coun...
47. Carr (Lakeview) The Carrs were originally involved in linen weaving. By the 19th century they were large stock farme...
47. Burke (Clanricarde) The Clanricarde estate was one of the largest in county Galway. Lord Clanrickard, a minor, is liste...
48 Maguire (Meelick) At the time of Griffith's Valuation, William Maguire was the lessor of several townlands in the pari...
48. Barry (Gort) Mrs. Barry of Cork is recorded as the owner of almost 600 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. This...
48 Maher At the time of Griffith's Valuation John E. Maher was one of the principal lessors in the parish of...
49 Whyte (Newtown Manor) Colonel John James Whyte is recorded as the owner of over 9000 acres in county Leitrim in the 1880s....
49 , 50. Johnston (Kinlough) The Johnston family from Fermanagh purhased this land in Leitrim in the early 18th century. In 1802...
49. Flood Mrs. Amelia Flood is recorded as leasing townlands in the parish of Fenagh, county Leitrim, in 1856....
50. Duckworth William Duckworth held an estate at Erris close to Boyle at the time of Griffith's Valuation which h...
50. Dickson The Dickson family acquired lands in the Tullaghan area of the parish of Rossinver, county Leitrim,...
50 McTernan The McTernans acquired the property at Heapstown, Kilmacallan parish, in the mid-nineteenth century....
60. Griffith (Sligo) The Griffith family held land in County Sligo although they also had merchant interests in the town....
60 Boyd (Tireragh) The Boyd family purchased some of the Kirkwood estate at Castletown or Cottlestown, barony of Tirer...
60. Verschoyle The Irwin estate at Tanrego was purchased by Verschoyle in the 1860s. According to the OS name books...
60. Tweedy The estate at Cloonamahon passed into the hands of the Tweedy family thorough the marriage of Meredi...
60 Knott (Battlefield) The Knott family held lands in various parts of the barony of Corran. Lands at Emlanaghtan, in the p...
51 & 60 Palmer The Palmer family held extensive estates in counties Mayo and Sligo, some of which they were granted...
60. Lyons (Sligo) The representatives of Henry Lyons, a Sligo merchant, were the owners of over 1400 acres in county S...
60. Gore Booth The Gore Booth family were descended from Sir Francis Booth who was granted land at Ardtermon, bar...
60. Mossman The Mossman family acquired lands in Sligo through marriage into the Nicholson family. At the time o...
58 & 60 Worthington Raymond P. Worthington of Fleet Street, Dublin and 5 Rostrevor Terrace, Rathgar, Dublin, owned over...
61. Stack (Tirerrill) The Stack family acquired the property at Castle Neynoe during the 19th century. In 1906 M.F.B. Stac...
61. Gillmor/Gilmore McTernan traces the Gillmor family's arrival in Sligo toJames Gillmor,a member of the Cromwellian ar...
57 & 61. Brinkley Richard Graves Brinkley purchased lands in various parts of County Sligo in the Encumbered Estates C...
61. Costello (Edmondstown) The Costellos were settled at Castlemore, parish of Castlemore, barony of Costello, county Mayo, fro...
61. Powell McTernan notes that the Powells settled in the barony of Leyny as grantees under the Cromwellian set...
57 Broderick Charles Broderick of Tarmon House, Castlerea, county Roscommon owned 860 acres in the county in the...
57 Blakeney (Holywell) In 1761 Charles Blakeney, a member of a junior branch of the Blakeneys of Abbert, married Bridget, d...
57 Connaghton In the 1870s James Connaghten of Lecarrow owned 527 acres in county Roscommon. In 1906 Bernard Conn...
57 Neilan In the 1870s John Neilan of Stonepark, Roscommon owned 643 acres in county Roscommon. Over 500 acre...
57 & 59 Lloyd (Rockville) Rockville, originally a Blackburn property, came into the possession of the Lloyd family following t...
59 O'Beirne/Byrne/Burns (Tinny Park) Hugh Burns/O'Beirne held an estate in the parishes of Drumatemple, barony of Ballymoe, Kilglass, bar...
59 Hague/Heague At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Heague held the townland of Cloonahee, parish of Clooncraff...
58 & 59 Murphy (Castlereagh) Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' (1904) traces the descent of this family from William Murphy of...
59 French (Tulsk) This French family are descended from an uncle of the 1st Lord de Freyne of French Park. At the time...
59 Drought In the mid 19th century Captain George Warburton Drought owned a small estate centred on the house C...
59 McCausland (Limavady) The McCausland family of Drenagh or Fruit Hill, Limavady, county Derry, held almost 5000 acres in co...
59 Goodall John Goodall held the townland of Coolteige, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober, county Rosco...
59 O'Conor (Ballagh) According to "Our Correspondent" writing in the ''Tuam Herald'' of 1 Dec 1928, Ballagh was the prope...
58 Law Union & Crown Insurance Company In 1906 the Law Union and Crown Insurance Company held untenanted land at Rinnagan in the parish of...
58 Ward In 1906 John Ward owned 86 acres of untenanted land at Cloonbigny, parish of Taghmaconnell, barony o...
58 Kyle The Kyles were a family from Ayreshire who settled in county Derry in the 17th century. William Cot...
58 McGusty George McGusty was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilmacumsy, barony of Frenchpark, a...
58 Ferrall (Co Roscommon) In the early 19th century John Farrell or Ferrall acquired large tracts of land mainly in county Ros...
58 & 59 Goff This family were descended from the Goff family of Kingstown, Dublin who had married into the Caulfi...
58 Wills (Castlereagh) In 1703 two brothers, Caspar and James Wills, purchased part of the forfeited estate of King James I...
59 Caulfeild (Colamber Manor) In 1828 Col William Caulfeild [of Benown, Glassan, Athlone, Co. Westmeath] was a member of the Grand...
59 Hynes (Woodmount) In the 1870s John Hynes and William J. Hynes both of Ballinasloe owned over 4,000 acres in county Ro...
59 Popham The Popham family held lands in counties Roscommon & Sligo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Ale...
59 Lecky At the time of Griffith's Valuation Hugh Lecky held the townland of Cooly, parish of Fuerty, barony...
59 O'Conor (Ballagh) According to "Our Correspondent" writing in the ''Tuam Herald'' of 1 Dec 1928, Ballagh was the prope...
57 Johnston (Boyle) John Johnston is recorded as one of the principal lessors in the parish of Eastersnow, barony of Boy...
57 Stafford The Stafford property was leased from Lord Lorton's estate and was located in the parish of Creeve,...
57 Ellis (Ballymoe) Robert H. Elllis held land in the parish of Cloonygormican, barony of Ballymoe, county Roscommon at...
57 Lefroy (Leitrim & Limerick) Thomas Lefroy, residing at Ardmore, Bray, county Wicklow, is recorded as the owner of almost 1700 a...
60 Phibbs (Spotfield) Major Richard Phibbs held land at Curry in Achonry & Cloonoghill parishes, baronies of Leyny and Cor...
40 Smith (Ballynanty) Charles Wilmot Smith was the son of John Wilmot Smith and his wife, Mary Lloyd of Beechmount, county...
40 Brew The Brew family were resident in Ennis, county Clare, from the mid 18th century. An agreement dated...
40 Spaight The Spaight family was originally from Kent. In the late 17th century Thomas Spaight was seneschal...
40 Henn (Paradise) The Henns, an English family, were granted lands in county Clare by the Earl of Thomond at the end o...
40 Reeves (Besborough) A family originally from Sussex who settled in Ireland in the mid 17th century. Their connection wi...
40 Comyn (Woodstock) From the mid 17th century the Comyn family were established at Kilcorney in county Clare. In 1796 L...
40 Wilson (Caherconlish) Sir Ralph Wilson, knight, was granted 830 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, including Caherconlish...
40 Molony (Kiltanon) This family were established in county Clare from the early 17th century and the Kiltanon branch are...
40 Keane (Beech Park) The Keanes were established in county Clare from at least the mid 17th century and were residing at...
40 Casey (Kilmurry) From the mid 18th century the Caseys held land in the parish of Kilmurry, barony of Ibrickan, county...
40 Kenny/Kelly Kenny (Treanmanagh) David Kenny of Tiermanna, barony of Ibrickan, county Clare, married Mary O'Gorman and died in 1833....
40 O'Callaghan/O'Callaghan Westropp (Kilgory & Maryfort) The county Cork estates of the O'Callaghans were confiscated in the mid 17th century and the family...
41 MacDonnell (Newhall) This family was descended from the MacDonnell family of Dunluce, county Antrim. In the late 17th cen...
41 Walsh/Welsh (Newtown) Weir writes that this family were transplanted from county Kilkenny to county Clare in the 17th cent...
41 Morony (Milltown Malbay) The Moronys of Miltown Malbay, barony of Ibrickan, county Clare, share a common ancestry with the Mo...
41 Ball (Fort Fergus) William Hawkins Ball was the eldest son of Benjamin Ball of Dublin and his wife Elizabeth, daughter...
41 Crowe (Dromore) The Crowe family were living at Nutfield, near Ennis, county Clare in the 1780s. Burke records that...
41 Wakely James Wakely was the owner of over 1900 acres of untenanted land at Mountshannon, barony of Leitrim,...
40 Blood (Roxton & Cranagher) The Blood family was established in county Clare from the early 17th century. By the mid 18th centu...
40 Studdert (Clonderalaw) Five generations of Studderts lived at Clonderalaw, parish of Kilmurry, barony of Clonderalaw, count...
40 Hynes (Bayfield) The representatives of James Hynes held land in the parish of Carran, barony of Burren, county Clare...
40 O'Brien (Ballynalackan) Terence O'Brien was established at Elm Vale, south east of Kilfenora, county Clare, from at least th...
41 Maunsell (Oakly Park & Blackwater) This was a junior branch of the Maunsell family of Ballywilliam, county Limerick. Their main reside...
41 Studdert (Dangananella) This branch of the Studdert family was established at Dangananella, just outside Cooraclare, in the...
41 Fitzgerald/Foster Vesey Fitzgerald (Moyriesk) This family of Fitzgeralds was originally Fitzgerald Fitzgibbon but the surname Fitzgibbon was dropp...
54 Kelly/Roche Kelly Descended from an O’Kelly of county Kilkenny, the Kelly family were established in county Limerick b...
48 McCarthy/McCartie (Killaha) John McCartie was recorded as a principal lessor in the parish of Killaha, barony of Magunihy, at th...
48 & 49. Leonard (County Cork) In the 1870s, Rev. Samuel Leonard, of Banteer, county Cork, was the owner of over 1200 acres in cou...
48 de Moleyns (Lord Ventry) Smith indicates that Frederick Mullins was granted lands in Dingle, which he named Burnham after the...
48 Jermyn William Jermyn was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilcrohane, barony of Dunkerron Sou...
49 Drew (Rockfield & Mocollop Castle) This family were a junior branch of the Drews of Drewscourt, county Cork and held land in counties W...
49 Palmer In March 1860, a fee-farm rental, the property of John Palmer, was offered for sale in the Landed Es...
49 Leahy The Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to townlands in Aghadoe parish being leased by John Leahy of So...
49 Hickson (Corkaguiny) Both James and Robert Hickson held lands in several parishes in the barony of Corkaguiny at the time...
49 Drummond In the 1870s Robert Drummond’s estate in Kerry amounted to more than 29,000 acres. The Drummond esta...
49 O'Connell The O’Connells are an ancient Gaelic family, whom Burke claims had their origins in county Clare, be...
49 Butler (Waterville) The Waterville branch of the Butler family descended from Whitwell Butler who married into the Yield...
49 Fitzgerald (Knight of Kerry) According to the late Desmond Fitzgerald, last Knight of Glin, county Limerick, three of the cadet b...
49 Gun/Gunn The Gun (sometimes spelt Gunn) family were descended from Reverend William Gun, of Limerick, but wer...
49 Trinity College, Dublin, Provost & Fellows (Munster) In 1666 the Provost, Fellows and Scholars of Trinity College, Dublin, were granted a total of 61,017...
49 Herbert (Muckross) The Herberts were granted land in Kerry during the reign of Elizabeth I. Smith indicates that two me...
49 Creagh Francis and John Creagh, of Tarmon, county Kerry, were the owners of almost 400 acres in the 1870s....
49 Colomb/Columb In 1819 General George Colomb married Mary daughter of Sir Abraham Bradley King baronet. Their four...
49 Stoughton/Staughton (Kerry) Thomas Stoughton was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Caher and Dromod, barony of Ive...
49 Stack Eyre Stack was the principal lessor in the parish of Ballyconry, barony of Iraghticonnor, at the tim...
46 Bagot (Bagotstown, Ballyturin & Aghrane/Castlekelly) This family were first established at Bagotstown, county Limerick in the 13th century. They later he...
41 Clerke/Clarke (West Carbery) Various members of the Clerke/Clarke family held property around Skibbereen at the time of Griffith'...
41 Leahy (Bear) The county Cork estate of the Leahy family in the Bantry area and at Macroom and Cork was held from...
41 White/Hedges White Richard Hedges of Macroom Castle and Mount Hedges, county Cork, married Mary Eyre and had a son, Ric...
41 Hornibrook John Hornibrook and other members of the family are recorded as the owners of c.500 acres in county...
41 Longfield (Castlemary & Longueville) John Longfield, of Castle Mary, near Cloyne, county Cork married Mary Hawnby of Mallow, county Cork....
584 Hippisley In 1851 Elizabeth Sulivan married Henry Hippisley of Lamborne Place and Sparsholt House, Berkshire....