Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Campbell

Lord Campbell gained possession of the Moycullen and West Barna estates of Andrew Henry Lynch in the parishes of Kilcummin and Rahoon, county Galway, advertised for sale by Lynch's co heiresses in the Encumbered Estates' Court in June 1851. The estates were heavily mortgaged to Lord Campbell. In the early 1870s Lord Campbell owned over 5,000 acres in county Galway and over 3,000 in the county of the town of Galway. Almost 4,000 acres of his estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 31 Mar 1915.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Moycullen Lodge Moycullen Moycullen Galway Moycullen 49 Moycullen Galway OSI Ref: M233 331
OS Sheet: 68
Discovery map: 45

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Lynch, 24 June 1851, Vol 8, MRGS 39/003, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Martin Papers, deeds and papers relating to the Connemara estate of Lord Campbell & others, 17th-19th centuries. D 20,511-20,550, M 3438a-3472; National Archives of Ireland
  • Deeds, legal and estate papers, 17th-20th centuries. NRA Catalogue Ref. 10164 Hartrigge; Private Possession

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources