Lord Campbell gained possession of the Moycullen and West Barna estates of Andrew Henry Lynch in the parishes of Kilcummin and Rahoon, county Galway, advertised for sale by Lynch's co heiresses in the Encumbered Estates' Court in June 1851. The estates were heavily mortgaged to Lord Campbell. In the early 1870s Lord Campbell owned over 5,000 acres in county Galway and over 3,000 in the county of the town of Galway. Almost 4,000 acres of his estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 31 Mar 1915.
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Lynch, 24 June 1851, Vol 8, MRGS 39/003, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Martin Papers, deeds and papers relating to the Connemara estate of Lord Campbell & others, 17th-19th centuries. D 20,511-20,550, M 3438a-3472; National Archives of Ireland
- Deeds, legal and estate papers, 17th-20th centuries. NRA Catalogue Ref. 10164 Hartrigge; Private Possession
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 47
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 430-431
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 299
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 148
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Union of Galway. p.128
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1886: 1288-1289
- LANE, Pádraig. The Encumbered Estates Court and Galway Land Ownership, 1849-58. In MORAN, Gerard (ed). ''History & Society''. Dublin: Geography Publications, 1996 : 395-419
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society'': LANE, Pádraig G. The General Impact of the Encumbered Estates Act of 1849 on Counties Galway and Mayo. XXXIII (1972), 44-74
- ROBINSON, Tim (ed). ''Connemara after the Famine: Journal of a Survey of the Martin Estate by Thomas Colville Scott, 1853''. Dublin: The Lilliput Press, 1995: p.101, footnote 62.