John Johnston is recorded as one of the principal lessors in the parish of Eastersnow, barony of Boyle, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. John Johnston, with an address at Roselawn, Celbridge, county Kildare, held over 1400 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s and 668 acres in county Sligo. The Sligo property may be represented by the townland of Tawran, barony of Coolavin. Over 1,500 acres in county Roscommon belonging to John G. Johnston were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 20 Mar 1913.
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Boyle Union, 62.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 316
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 237
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 57
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 167.