In the early 19th century a branch of the Fair family held the lands of Levally and Cappagory situated just outside Ballinrobe, in the barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, from the Ruttledges of Bloomfield. By the time of Griffith's Valuation Levally was part of the farm leased by James Simpson from the Earl of Lucan. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Robert Fair held the townland of Cloonacauneen, parish of Oranmore, in the county of the town of Galway. He had acquired this land in 1843 from the Cullinanes. The townland remained in the possession of the Fair family until 1911 when it was vested in the Congested Districts Board by Robert and Maria Alicia Julia Fair. In the 1870s Frances Mary Fair owned a total of 478 acres in county Galway.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
OSI Ref: M221 663
OS Sheet: 118
Discovery map: 38
|Cloonacauneen Castle||Cloonacauneen||Oranmore||Galway||Carrowbrowne 40||Dunkellin||Galway||
OSI Ref: M343308
OS Sheet: 82
Discovery map: 46
- T.4029 Will of Robert Fair 1847; National Archives of Ireland
- Cloonacauneen Castle press cuttings. 131/008; Irish Architectural Archive
- J.H. Montgomery & Son, solicitors' collection, includes documents re a lease of Cloonacauneen & other lands in the county of the town of Galway, Martin Blake of Brooklawn to Martin & Thomas Cullinan of Claregalway, 1824 & by them to Campbell & Robert Fair, 1843. Also testamentary papers of Mark Blake, Brooklawn, 1838 & Robert Fair, 1847. Small Accs. Index 88, D.12,664 & D.12,667, T.4028-4032; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol I, 116
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Mayo: Vol I, 492
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 261
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 43.
Modern printed sources
- ''Jnl. of the South Mayo Family Research Society'': CLESHAM, Brigid. The Fair family of Levally, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo. IX (1996), 43-50
- BENCE-JONES, Mark. ''A Guide to Irish Country Houses''. Revised ed. London: Constable, 1988. : 88
- McGRATH, Mary. ''Landholding in the parish of Castlegar, county Galway: study of five townlands.'' Unpublished Dip, Local Studies dissertation, NUI, Maynooth, 1999. : 10.
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Family History Society : Galway Roots'': Ó’LAOI, Fr. Padraic. Aspects of Castlegar. IV (1996), 109
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society'': ATHY, Muriel Lynch. Notes on the Ordnance Survey Letters. VIII (1913-1914), 173-176