Sir Alexander Crichton of Seal Grove, Kent married Frances Dodwell in 1800. She was the heiress of Edward Dodwell of Carrowgarry and that estate passed to the Crichton family. Sir Alexander Crichton was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kiltullagh, barony of Castlereagh, Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, Cloonfinlough, Elphin and Kiltrustan, barony of Roscommon, county Roscommon at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Alexander Crichton is listed as the occupier of property in Tanrego West townland, barony of Tireragh, in 1906, including a mansion house. Henry Crichton owned over 180 acres of untenanted land and a house at Ballinvoher, barony of Corran, at the same time. 1,092 acres belonging to Mrs Crichton were conveyed to the Congested Districts Board in October 1906 and a further 1,400+ acres of the Crichton's Roscommon estate was vested in the Board on 19 Mar 1914. Offers from the Board on over 500 acres belonging to H.M.R Crichton, over 100 acres the property of Mrs. Crichton and 1600 acres owned by Alex Crichton in county Sligo were accepted in November 1913
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Carrowgarry||Tanrego West||Drumard||Dromore West||Dromard East||Tireragh||Sligo||
OSI Ref: G594309
Discovery map: 25
|Dirk Lodge||Derk Beg||Skreen||Dromore West||Toberpatrick East||Tireragh||Sligo||
OSI Ref: G573347
OS Sheet: 13
Discovery map: 25
|Mount Dodwell||Ballinvoher||Toomour||Sligo||Bricklieve 32||Corran||Sligo||
OSI Ref: G705151
OS Sheet: 33
- Map of lands in Barony of Tirerrill, property of Sir Alex Crichton, 1824. ; Sligo County Library
- Map of Killaville estate, 1848. ; Sligo County Library
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 320
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 390 (Carrowgarry), 391 (Dirk Lodge), 392 (Ballinvoher).
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 59 & 60.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. '' 18th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 4927] HC 1909, xvi. Appendix XXXII: 139
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Dromore West Union, 75 (Derk Beg)
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1912: 147, Crichton of Dirk Lodge
- MONTGOMERY-MASSINGBERD, Hugh (ed). ''Burke's Irish Family Records''. London: Burke's Peerage, 1976: 289.
- NORTON, Desmond. ''Landlords, tenants, famine: the business of an Irish land agency in the 1840s.'' Dublin: University College Dublin Press, 2006.: 66-84.
- O'HORO, Michael. ''Skreen and Dromard: history and heritage''. Skreen, county Sligo: [the author], 2000. : McTernan, John C. Alexander J. Crichton, 120-121.
- O'HORO, Michael. ''Skreen and Dromard: history and heritage''. Skreen, county Sligo: [the author], 2000. : Crichton, Aleck. Carrowgarry Cheese, 42-43.
- PINE, L.G. (ed). ''Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. 4th ed. London: Burke's Peerage, 1958.: 189-190.
- ''Corran Herald'': DUFFY, P.J. The Congested Districts Board. XXXIV (2001-2002), 6-7.
- McTERNAN, John C. ''Sligo: the light of bygone days, Vol.I Houses of Sligo and associated families''. Sligo: Avena Publications, 2009. : 141-142 (Mt. Dodwell), 311-312 (Derk Lodge)
- McTERNAN, John C. ''The light of bygone days, Volume II: Sligo families''. Sligo: Avena Publications, 2009. : 66-69