Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Crichton

Sir Alexander Crichton of Seal Grove, Kent married Frances Dodwell in 1800. She was the heiress of Edward Dodwell of Carrowgarry and that estate passed to the Crichton family. Sir Alexander Crichton was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kiltullagh, barony of Castlereagh, Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, Cloonfinlough, Elphin and Kiltrustan, barony of Roscommon, county Roscommon at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Alexander Crichton is listed as the occupier of property in Tanrego West townland, barony of Tireragh, in 1906, including a mansion house. Henry Crichton owned over 180 acres of untenanted land and a house at Ballinvoher, barony of Corran, at the same time. 1,092 acres belonging to Mrs Crichton were conveyed to the Congested Districts Board in October 1906 and a further 1,400+ acres of the Crichton's Roscommon estate was vested in the Board on 19 Mar 1914. Offers from the Board on over 500 acres belonging to H.M.R Crichton, over 100 acres the property of Mrs. Crichton and 1600 acres owned by Alex Crichton in county Sligo were accepted in November 1913

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Carrowgarry Tanrego West Drumard Dromore West Dromard East Tireragh Sligo OSI Ref: G594309
OS Sheet:
Discovery map: 25
Dirk Lodge Derk Beg Skreen Dromore West Toberpatrick East Tireragh Sligo OSI Ref: G573347
OS Sheet: 13
Discovery map: 25
Mount Dodwell Ballinvoher Toomour Sligo Bricklieve 32 Corran Sligo OSI Ref: G705151
OS Sheet: 33
Discovery map:

Archival sources

  • Map of lands in Barony of Tirerrill, property of Sir Alex Crichton, 1824. ; Sligo County Library
  • Map of Killaville estate, 1848. ; Sligo County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources