Landed Estates
NUI Galway
Reference Source

McTERNAN, John C. ''Sligo: the light of bygone days, Vol.I Houses of Sligo and associated families''. Sligo: Avena Publications, 2009.

Source Details

Category Modern printed sources

Estate Records Citing this Source

Found 131 estate records citing this source.

Reference Estate Name Estate Description
3-4 Phillips The Abbeyview estate, the property of the Phillips family, as well as premises in the town of Sligo,...
9-10 (Abbeyville), 434-435 (Roadstown) Fleming McTernan states that the Flemings came into possession of lands in Sligo in the wake of the Cromwell...
326-327 (Drumraine), 344-345 (Gleneask Cottage) Taaffe This branch of the Taaffe family appear to be linked to that of the Earls of Carlingford. Portions...
19-20 (Ballytivnan), 48-50 (Castle Neynoe), 162-163 (Port Royal) Griffith (Sligo) The Griffith family held land in County Sligo although they also had merchant interests in the town....
21-22 Knott (Battlefield) The Knott family held lands in various parts of the barony of Corran. Lands at Emlanaghtan, in the p...
27-28 Ormsby Ruttledge Margaret Ormsby Rutledge held property in Kilmacshalgan and Templeboy parishes, barony of Tireragh a...
27-28 (Belville), 446-447 (Seafield) McMunn The McMunn estate was centred on Belville House, near Dromore West, in the barony of Tireragh. In th...
31-32 (Bloomfield) 55-57 (Cleveragh), 173-174 (Rockbrook), 241-243 (Ardaghowen or Ellenville) Martin (later Wood-Martin) The Martin family owned extensive property in Sligo town and surrounding area. Many served in politi...
31-32 (Bloomfield), 183-184 (Spotfield) Phibbs (Spotfield) Major Richard Phibbs held land at Curry in Achonry & Cloonoghill parishes, baronies of Leyny and Cor...
33-34 (Branchfield), 271-271 (Carns Lodge), 205-206 (Willowbrook), 293-295 (Cloonskirt) Ormsby Gore LordHarlech's estate held land in the baronies of Leyny, Tireragh and Tirerrill in county Sligo as w...
39-40. McLoghry Henry McLoghry was occupying Bunnyconnellan Cottage at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He held t...
41 Burrowes (Sligo) In 1856 Alexander Burrowes offered for sale his estate at Carrowcrin, barony of Tirerrill. The sale...
42-43 (Castlefield), 141-142 (Mt. Dodwell), 377-378 (Knockadoo) Thompson (Knockadoo & Mount Dodwell) The Thompson estate at Knockadoo was held on long lease by the Thompson family, in the 1850s at leas...
46-47 (Castle Lodge), 246-247 (Arnasbrack), 280-281 (Castle Dargan) Fury The Fury or Furey family held an estate in the baronies of Tireragh and Tirerrill since at least the...
48-50. Stack (Tirerrill) The Stack family acquired the property at Castle Neynoe during the 19th century. In 1906 M.F.B. Stac...
48-50. Neynoe The Neynoe family owned this estate in Ballysumaghan parish since the 18th century. They appear to h...
51-52 Fenton The Fenton family held land in and around Easky throughtout the 19th century. Various family members...
53-54 (Chaffpool), 225-226 (Achonry) Armstrong (Chaffpool & Moyaliff) These Armstrongs are a junior branch of the Armstrong family of Mount Heaton, county Offaly and desc...
58-59 Holmes The Holmes family occupied the estate at Clogher for several generations. In the later 19th some of...
58-59 (Clogher), 155-156 (Old Coolavin), 300-301 (Coolavin) MacDermot (Coolavin) The MacDermots were the original hereditary owners of the lands in Coolavin, hence the family title...
60-61 (Cloonamahon), 185-186 (Strandhill) Meredith The Merediths acquired Cloonamahon and associated lands in the 18th century when a Meredith married...
62-63 Robinson Cloonbarry was the seat of the Robinson family who owned land in Kilmacteige and Achonry parishes. T...
64-65 Chambers The Chambers family came to Kilmacowen in the 18th century when they took over the former Smith esta...
66-67 Howley (Belleek Castle) The Howley family appear in both Hussey de Burgh and the 1876 Landowners Survey as owners of land in...
68-69 (Corkhill), 126-128 (Longford House) Crofton (Sligo) The Croftons acquired land in the 17th century from the McSweeneys which had previously been part of...
70-71(Corradoo), 121-122 (Lisconny), 173-174 (Rockbrook), 317-318 (Doonamurray), 351-352 (Heathfield) Phibbs (Tirerrill) The Phibbs family owned several estates in the barony of Tirerril including that at Corradoo East....
72-73 O'Connor (Corsallagh) The lands at Corsallagh were originally part of the Farrell estate but were leased by the O'Connor f...
74-75 Ormsby (Cummeen) Thomas Ormsby acquired land in Sligo in the mid-17th century and the family expanded to hold propert...
76-77(Dunally), 332-333 (Faughts Cottage) Parke According to O'Rorke, the Parkes received land under the Cromwellian settlement and established them...
78-79 (Elsinore), 255-256 (Avena) Middleton (Sligo) In the 1870s William Middleton, of Wine Street, Sligo, owned over 1600 acres in the county. In 1906...
78-79 (Elsinore), 392-395 (Markree), 414-415 (Quarryfield Cooper (Markree) Edward Cooper was a soldier in Richard Coote [Lord Collooney]'s, regiment of horse. He is known in...
82-83 Ormsby (Farrenmacfarrell) The Ormsby family held land in the parish of Kilmacshalgan through much of the 19th century. The pro...
82-83 Cuffe (Tireragh) Alexander Cuffe is recorded as the occupier of the property in Farrenmacfarrell townland, barony of...
84-85 (Flowerhill), 414-415 (Quarryfield) Irwin (Flower Hill) The representatives of Thomas R.T, Irwin held lands at Harristown, parish of Kilshalvy and barony of...
88-89 (Fortland), 236-238 (Ardagh House) Brinkley Richard Graves Brinkley purchased lands in various parts of County Sligo in the Encumbered Estates C...
88-89 Jones (Fortland) The estate at Fortland had originally belonged to the Browne family but had later come into the hand...
91-92 (Grange), 342-343 (Glen Lodge), 412-413 (Primrose Grange) Nicholson The Nicholsons received grants of land in Sligo under the Acts of Settlement and one of them became...
95-96 Rea The Ordnance Survey Field Name books record the purchase of the property at Lislea, barony of Corran...
97-98 McTernan The McTernans acquired the property at Heapstown, Kilmacallan parish, in the mid-nineteenth century....
99-100 Campbell (Sligo) Harper Campbell developed extensive business interests in Sligo in the 19th century. The family resi...
105-106 Costello (Edmondstown) The Costellos were settled at Castlemore, parish of Castlemore, barony of Costello, county Mayo, fro...
107-108 Cooke The estate at Kilturra was originally part of the property of the Archdeacon of Achonry. It was held...
111-112 (Knockalass), 248-250 (Ardtarmon Castle), 385-387 (Lissadell), 400-401 (Moorfield Cottage), 419-421 (Rahelly), 476-477 (Urlar) Gore Booth The Gore Booth family were descended from Sir Francis Booth who was granted land at Ardtermon, bar...
113-114 Weir The Weir family held an estate close to Lough Arrow at Doonsheeheen centred on Lakeview House. They...
119-120 Webber (Cos Sligo & Limerick) A family who were settled near the city of Cork in the early 17th century. Thomas Webber married Le...
121-122 (Lisconny) Toler The Earl of Norbury held land in various parts of Ireland including counties Sligo, Mayo and Clare,...
121-122 (Lisconny), 173-174 (Rockbrook) Cogan (Rockbrook) The Cogan family occupied a property which in the early 18th century had belonged to the Phibbs fami...
123-125 (Lisheen) Phibbs (Seafield) The Phibbs family acquired an estate in Kilmacowen in the late 18th century. The estate was based ar...
135-136 (Millbrook), 159-160 (Percymount), 241-243 (Ardaghowen or Ellenville), 291-292 (Clogherevagh), 307-309 (Cregg), 348-350 (Hazelwood), 358-360 (Hollywell), 381-382 (Lisnalurg), 390-391 (Lower Shannon), 402-403 (Mount Shannon), 458-459 (Summerhill) Wynne The Wynne family established themselves in Sligo in the later 17th century. They went on to become o...
138-139 (Moneygold), 147-148 (Mt. Temple) Soden In the 17th century granting of lands in Sligo, the Earl of Strafford received large grants of land...
138-139 (Moneygold) Eccles J.E. Eccles, a gentleman, is recorded as resident in the parish of Tumna, barony of Boyle, county Ro...
138-139 (Moneygold) Fawcett (Moneygold) The Fawcett estate was centred around Sligo but the family held lands in other parts of the county,...
141-142 (Mt. Dodwell), 311-312 (Derk Lodge) Crichton Sir Alexander Crichton of Seal Grove, Kent married Frances Dodwell in 1800. She was the heiress of E...
141-142 (Mt. Dodwell), 363-364 (Kevinsfort) Dodwell The Dodwell family were present in Sligo since the 17th century. . In 1800 Frances Dodwell of Carro...
143-144 (Mt. Edward), 456-457 (Streedagh) Jones (Streedagh) The Jones family were granted lands previously in the possession of O'Connor Sligo. It is thought th...
145-146.(Mt. Irwin) Sherlock The Mount Irvine estate (which sometimes appears in sources as Mount Irwin) was part of the Cooper e...
145-146.(Mt. Irwin) Thornhill (Mount Irvine & Castlekevin) In 1666 William Thornhill, a Cromwellian soldier, was granted "Castlekiffin" [Castlekevin] and other...
145-146.(Mt. Irwin), 187-188 (Streamstown) Irwin (Streamstown) Various members of the Irwin family are recorded as the owners of land in county Sligo in the 1870s....
147-148 (Mt. Temple), 289-290 (Classiebawn), 410-411 (Palmerston Lodge), 442-443 (Rundale Lodge) Temple/Temple-Cowper The association of the Temple family with county Sligo began in the seventeenth century when Sir Joh...
153-154 (Old Castle) Rogers (Co Sligo & Ashgrove, Co Cork) Robert A. Rogers, together with the Earl of Aldborough and William Beamish, were lessors of lands in...
157-158 (Orme's Lodge) Orme (Owenmore) The Orme family owned extensive property in county Mayo and also around the village of Enniscrone in...
159-160 (Percymount), 257-258 (Ballindoon), 323-325 (Drumcliff), 328-329 (Earlsfield), 358-360 (Hollywell) Gethin Under the Restoration settlement Richard Gethin, created a baronet in 1665, was granted a large esta...
164-165 (Powellsboro) Powell McTernan notes that the Powells settled in the barony of Leyny as grantees under the Cromwellian set...
167-168 (Rathanna) Barrett (Culleenamore) The Barrett family were descended from prosperous Sligo merchants in the later 17th and early 18th c...
169-170 (Rathellen), 484-485 (Wynnesfort) Lyons (Sligo) The representatives of Henry Lyons, a Sligo merchant, were the owners of over 1400 acres in county S...
169-170 (Rathellen), 484-485 (Wynnesfort) Wood The Wood family had held property in Sligo since at least the early 17th century, probably through T...
171-172 (Rathlee) Jones (Rathlee) The Jones family had acquired land in Tireragh in the mid 17th century and various branches establis...
173-174 (Rockbrook) Lougheed William Black Lougheed purchased the Fenton estate at Dromore West in the later 19th century. He is...
175-176 (Rose Hill) Davys Vernon Davys held substantial merchant interests in Sligo in the mid-19th century.
177-178 (Scurmore), 404-405 (Moyview) Wingfield Stratford Edward and John Wingfield were twin brothers, sons of Richard Wingfield, 3rd Viscount Powerscourt, a...
179-180 (Seafort) Wood (Skreen) Edward and Arthur Wood owned an estate of over 1000 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s, mostly in t...
179-180 (Seafort), 302-304 (Coopershill) Cooper The estate at Coopershill was founded by the Cooper family. In the mid 19th century Charles King O'H...
183-184 (Spotfield) White (Spotfield) McTernan states that the estate at Spotfield was in the possession of John White in the eighteenth c...
189-190 (Templevanny) Gorman Margaret and Henry Gorman were leasing 300 acres in Cloonshanbally, barony of Corran from the Gore B...
195-196 (Toberscanavan) Noble A Rev. W.Noble with an address at Edgeworthstown, county Longford, held 9 acres in Sligo in 1876. Mo...
199-200 (Tower Hill) Gardiner (Tirerrill) Richard Gardiner was leasing lands from Lord Lorton's estate at Carrowkeel, barony of Tirerrill at t...
229-230 (Altanelvick), 263-264 (Benada Abbey) Jones (Benada) The Jones family were descended from Sir Roger Jones who held mortgages on land which had previously...
231-232 (Annagh Lodge) Frazer The Frazer family leased property from the Whitney estate in the parish of Kilmactranny, barony of T...
231-232 (Annagh Lodge) Whitney In 1857 Thomas Whitney owned several townlands in the parish of Kilmactranny, county Sligo. His mai...
231-232 (Annagh Lodge) Hewitson [Hewetson] & Eden Amelia Sarah Hewitson or Hewetson, with an address at Merton, Enniscorthy, county Wexford, owned ove...
233-235 (Annaghmore), 302-304 (Coopershill), 309-310 (Cuiltybar), 406-407 (Newpark) O'Hara The O'Haras were the only Gaelic family to continue as major landowners in County Sligo up to modern...
236-238 (Ardagh House) Lloyd (Killoran) Several townlands in Killoran parish are described as the property of Owen Lloyd in the OS Name Book...
236-238 (Ardagh House) Lloyd (Croghan & Leitrim) The Lloyd estate was centred on Croghan, close to Carrick-on-Shannon but located in county Roscommon...
244-245 (Ardgallin), 429-431 (Redhill) Baker (Redhill) The Redhill or Mullaghroe estate was part of the King (viscount Lorton) estate centred on Rockingham...
259-261 (Ballyglass House) Gillmor/Gilmore McTernan traces the Gillmor family's arrival in Sligo toJames Gillmor,a member of the Cromwellian ar...
259-260 (Ballyglass), 472-473 (Toberpatrick) O'Connor Peter O'Connor, a successful merchant in Sligo, acquired land in various parishes in the baronies of...
267-268 (Camcuil) Niddrie Peter Niddrie, MD, rented the house at Carrowmacrory from Mrs. Esther Hillas in 1857. Grace [Nedden]...
273-274 (Carrowcullen) Guilfoyle At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Thomas Guilfoyle was one of the principal lessors in the parish...
275-277 (Carrowkeel) MacDonagh The MacDonagh family had an ancient association with this part of County Sligo. The lands at Carrowk...
278-279 (Carrownaleck), 313-314 (Doomore) Gray The Gray family held small estates in the parish of Achonry at Doomore and Carrownaleck. The family...
280-281 (Castle Dargan) Ormsby (Castle Dargan) The Ormsby family held property at Castledargan since the end of the 17th century. William Ormsby i...
280-281 (Castle Dargan) Hosie In 1906 John Hosie, is recorded as the occupier of property at Castle Dargan townland, barony of Tir...
282-283 (Castlegal) Dunn (Sligo) In 1853 Jeremiah Dunne purchased c.500 acres in the barony of Leyny in the Encumbered Estates Court....
284-286 (Castletown Manor), 334-335 (Finned) Boyd (Tireragh) The Boyd family purchased some of the Kirkwood estate at Castletown or Cottlestown, barony of Tirer...
284-286 (Castletown Manor) Kirkwood (Cottlestown & Clooncunny) The Kirkwood estate was centred on Cottlestown in the Barony of Tireragh, where they held extensive...
284-286 (Castletown Manor) Morgan (Tireragh) The Morgans were the original owners of the estate in Castlconnor parish, barony of Tireragh, known...
298-299 (Colgagh), 353-355 (Hollybrook) Ffolliott The ffolliott family held lands in the parish of Aghanagh since the early 18th century. At the time...
307-309 (Cregg) Jones (Fermanagh) The Jones family of Lisgoole, county Fermanagh, held a significant estate in county Leitrim, mainly...
313-314 (Doobeg) Phibbs The Phibbs family held estates in different parts of county Sligo, this branch settled at Doobeg in...
313-314 (Doobeg) McAlpine (Sligo) Conyngham McAlpine was the proprietor of over 700 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s. At the time of...
313-314 (Doobeg) Taaffe (Kilkelly) The Taaffe estate contained lands in the parishes of Bekan, Kilmovee, Annagh and Aghamore, barony of...
313-314 (Doomore) Knox (Castlereagh) The Knoxes came from county Donegal and settled at Castlereagh in the 17th century. By the early 1...
319-320 (Doonecoy) Hillas The Hillas family held property in several parishes in the Barony of Tireragh. They also held proper...
321-322 (Dromore) Fenton (Dromore) Various branches of the Fenton family held estates in the Barony of Tireragh, County Sligo. This bra...
334-335 (Finned) Tottenham The Tottenham family's main properties were based in Leinster, especially in the counties of Wicklow...
340-341 (Geevagh Lodge) Keogh (Tirerrill) At the time of the first Ordnance Survey in the 1830s John Keogh of Dublin was the proprietor of a n...
363-364 (Kevinsfort) Popham The Popham family held lands in counties Roscommon & Sligo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Ale...
363-364 (Kevinsfort), 450-451 (Somerton) L'Estrange Christopher L'Estrange, described in Hussey de Burgh as a land agent, was resident at Kevinsfort in...
367-368 (Kilglass) McCarrick/McCarrig At the time of Griffith's Valuation various members of the McCarrick family held townlands in the pa...
367-368 (Kilglass) Verschoyle The Irwin estate at Tanrego was purchased by Verschoyle in the 1860s. According to the OS name books...
369-370 (Kilmorgan) Trumble The Ordnance Survey field name books suggest that the Trumble family leased the lands at Old Rock fr...
369-370 (Kilmorgan), 406-407 (Newpark) Duke The Duke family were granted lands in Sligo in the mid 17th century through the patronage of Richard...
374-375 (Kinnard) Paget The Paget estate was mainly in the parishes of Crossmolina and Kilfian, barony of Tirawley, county M...
379-380 (Larkhill), 414-415 (Quarryfield), 450-451 (Somerton), 465-467 (Temple House), 470-471(Thornhill) Perceval The Perceval family succeeded to lands in Sligo in the mid 17th when George Perceval married Mary Cr...
381-382 (Lisnalurg), 484-485 (Wynnesfort) Robinson The Robinson family acted as agents for many of the landed estates in Sligo throughout the second ha...
388-389 (Lisserlough) Powell The Powell family leased lands at Ardgallen from the King estate. In January 1868, Jacob Powell was...
388-389 (Lisserlough) King (Kingston/Lorton) The King estate was one of the largest in Connacht including lands in Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo as wel...
402-403 Olpherts Capt. Richard Olpherts was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Dromard, barony of Tireragh...
404-405 (Moyview) Warren The Rinroe or Moyview estate was Wingfield property but was leased to the Warren family. McTernan no...
408-409 (Ohgill) Armstrong (Oghil) The Armstrong family are recorded as holding a modest estate in the parish of Kilglass in 18th centu...
416-417. Jones (Raghly) John Gore Jones is recorded as the owner of over 650 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s. McTernan wr...
419-421 Barber (Sligo) At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Francis Barber was leasing property, including a house, from Ro...
422-423 (Rathcarrick) Walker The Walker family were descended from prosperous merchants in Sligo town. James Walker, initially le...
426-7 (Rathtermon) Flanagan/Woulfe Flanagan At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Flanagan family held lands in the parish of Killaraght, baro...
434-435 (Roadstown) O'Connor The lands at Ballinvally or Roadstown were part of the Cooper of Markree estate but were rented on l...
465-467 (Temple House) Hall-Dare The Hall-Dare estates were in county Wexford, which they had purchased in 1861 when they bought the...
460-461 (Tanrego) Irwin (Tanrego) McTernan states that John Irwin, a Cromwellian soldier, wsa granted the lands at Tanrego in the seve...
468-469 (Temple View) Hale The Hales had merchant interests in the town of Sligo but also held extensive landed property in Tir...
93-94 (Grangemore), 472-473 (Toberpatrick) Jones (Skreen) Toberpatrick was one of the properties held by the Jones family since the 17th century. It was purch...
480-481 (Woodhill) Jones (Knockaculleen) Elizabeth Jones was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilmacshalgan at the time of Griff...