Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Walker

The Walker family were descended from prosperous merchants in Sligo town. James Walker, initially leased and then purchased land in Killaspugbrone parish in the later 18th century. The family established a seat at Rathcarrick and eventually owned over 1500 acres. In the 1870s the representatives of Roger Walker owned over 1580 acres while John F. Walker was the owner of over 600 acres. In 1906 John F. Walker is recorded as the occupier of property at Rathcarrick including a mansion house. The estate was sold in the 1950s and the house is now derelict.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Rathcarrick Rathcarrick Killaspugbrone Sligo Knockaree 60 Carbury Sligo OSI Ref: G638353
OS Sheet: 14
Discovery map: 25
Doonaleragh Lodge Killaspugbrone Killaspugbrone Sligo Knocknarea 60 Carbury Sligo OSI Ref: G616373
OS Sheet: 14
Discovery map: 25

Archival sources

  • Walker Estate papers, Robinson Collection; Sligo County Library
  • Acount book of Roger Chambers Walker, 1836-45. S./R; Sligo County Library
  • Copies of miscellaneous family papers. F.C/D.2/80; Sligo County Library
  • Late 19th century estate valuations. Robinson Collection. ; Sligo County Library
  • Time Book, May 1911-May 1912. E 778, S.R. ; Sligo County Library
  • Rathcarrick. Photographs. 088/007; Irish Architectural Archive

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources