Landed Estates
NUI Galway



Name Description
Walker The Walker family were descended from prosperous merchants in Sligo town. James Walker, initially leased and then purchased land in Killaspugbrone parish in the later 18th century. The family established a seat at Rathcarrick and eventually owned over 1500 acres. In the 1870s the representatives of Roger Walker owned over 1580 acres while John F. Walker was the owner of over 600 acres. In 1906 John F. Walker is recorded as the occupier of property at Rathcarrick including a mansion house. The estate was sold in the 1950s and the house is now derelict.