According to O'Rorke, the Parkes received land under the Cromwellian settlement and established themselves in Sligo from that time. Captain Roger Parke built Newtown, now known as Parke's Castle, on the shores of Lough Gill. The family held land in many parts of county Sligo, including the baronies of Tireragh, Tirerrill and Carbury as well as in County Leitrim. Roger Parke was the lessor of several townlands in the parish of Killasnet, barony of Rosclogher in 1856. He is recorded as the owner of over 2100 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s. In 1853 the estate of John Parke of Castlecar, county Leitrim was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. The Freeman's Journal reported that it was purchased by Jacob Powell, in trust, for over £3000. In the 1870s both Roger and Johnston Parke were the proprietors of over 700 acres each in county Sligo. They had a UK residence in the 19th century at Chiselhampton, Wallingford. In 1906 Roger K. Parke is recorded as the occupier of property at Doonally townland, barony of Carbury, including a mansion house. The Congested Districts Board later acquired over 500 acres of Benjamin Parke's estate.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Doonally||Doonally||Drumcliff||Sligo||Drumcliff East 55||Carbury||Sligo||
OSI Ref: G716390
OS Sheet: 15
Discovery map: 16
|Old Rock||Shancarrigeen or Old Rock||Cloonoghill||Tobercurry||Cloonoghil 79||Corran||Sligo||
OSI Ref: G630139
OS Sheet: 33 (house not marked)
Discovery map: 25
|Faughts Cottage||Faughts||Calry||Sligo||Calry 54||Carbury||Sligo||
OSI Ref: G721375
OS Sheet: 15
Discovery map: 16
- Account Books, Parke estate, Dunally, 1843-70. 2 vols. S,/R.. ; Sligo County Library
- Rental of Parke estate, Dunally, 1850-1865. S./R. ; Sligo County Library
- Rentals of the estate of Roger Charles Parke, c.1882. F.C/D.4/17. ; Sligo County Library
- Map of part of estate of Wm. Parke, 1753. ; Sligo County Library
- Map showing proposed railway through estate of Roger Parke, 1867. ; Sligo County Library
- Map & rental of Glackburn E, estate of Roger Parke, 1853. ; Sligo County Library
- Map of lands at Dunally, 1855. ; Sligo County Library
- Map of Glackburn W, estate of Roger Parke, 1855. ; Sligo County Library
- Plans for farm buildings at Old Rock, estate of Capt. Parke. 1883. ; Sligo County Library
- Rentals of Parke estate, 1879-82, 1885-1900. Robinson Collection. ; Sligo County Library
- Rentals of lands in Tireragh & Leyny, 1852-55. Robinson Collection. ; Sligo County Library
- Valuation of Parke estate, late 19th century. Robinson Collection. ; Sligo County Library
- Map of east part of Kiltycooly, barony of Carbury, property of Col. Roger Parke, 1804. S.R. ; Sligo County Library
- Deeds, papers & correspondence, 1666-1902. Contact Public Record Office, NI. ; Private Possession
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Parke, 19 April 1853, Vol 20, MRGS 39/009, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 362
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 305, 323
- TAYLOR, George & SKINNER, Andrew. ''Maps of the Roads of Ireland, surveyed in 1777 and corrected down to 1783''. Facsimile of 2nd edition. Shannon: Irish University Press, 1969: 226
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 171
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol I, 513
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Sligo: Vol I, 289
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 392 & 394.
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Sligo Union, 69 (Doonally), 85 (Faughts)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 168.
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Tobercurry Union, 7.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''15th Annual Report of the Commissioners of Public Records Ireland,'' 1825. Vol XVI, Appendix I, Grants under Acts of Settlement: 86 & 151, 159
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1912: 551
- O'RORKE, T. The History of Sligo, county and town. Dublin: J. Duffy, [n.d]. : Vol I 461-463
- DURAND, Stella. ''Drumcliffe: the Church of Ireland parish in its north Sligo setting.'' Manorhamilton: Drumlin Publications, 2000. : 47
- BENCE-JONES, Mark. ''A Guide to Irish Country Houses''. Revised ed. London: Constable, 1988. : 231
- ''Corran Herald'': DUFFY, P.J. The Congested Districts Board (including list of lands acquired in county Sligo under the Wyndham Act). XXXIV (2001-2002), 6-7.
- McTERNAN, John C. ''Sligo: the light of bygone days, Vol.I Houses of Sligo and associated families''. Sligo: Avena Publications, 2009. : 76-77(Dunally), 332-333 (Faughts Cottage)
- NATIONAL LIBRARY OF IRELAND. Special Lists.: List and partial calendar prepared for the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland) of the papers in the possession of G. H. Boyle, Esq., Bisbrooke Hall, Uppingham, Rutland, Leicestershire, consisting of the Carbery papers, 1760-1940, the Boyle papers, 19th c., the Cumberland and Gordon papers, 19th c. the Parke papers (re Co. Sligo), 1666-1914, the Pochin Papers, the Kennedy papers, and the papers of Lady Castletown, c. 1870-1919. Special List No 234
- ''Freeman's Journal'': Incumbered Estates Court sale reports, 20 April 1853, p.2.
- TIMONEY, Martin A (ed). ''Dedicated to Sligo: thirty-four essays on Sligo's past''. Sligo: Publishing Sligo's past, 2013. : Timoney, Martin A. "Hints towards a natural and topographical history of the county of Sligoe" by the Rev. William Henry, 1739", p.150.