Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Parke


Estate(s)

Name Description
Parke According to O'Rorke, the Parkes received land under the Cromwellian settlement and established themselves in Sligo from that time. Captain Roger Parke built Newtown, now known as Parke's Castle, on the shores of Lough Gill. The family held land in many parts of county Sligo, including the baronies of Tireragh, Tirerrill and Carbury as well as in County Leitrim. Roger Parke was the lessor of several townlands in the parish of Killasnet, barony of Rosclogher in 1856. He is recorded as the owner of over 2100 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s. In 1853 the estate of John Parke of Castlecar, county Leitrim was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. The Freeman's Journal reported that it was purchased by Jacob Powell, in trust, for over £3000. In the 1870s both Roger and Johnston Parke were the proprietors of over 700 acres each in county Sligo. They had a UK residence in the 19th century at Chiselhampton, Wallingford. In 1906 Roger K. Parke is recorded as the occupier of property at Doonally townland, barony of Carbury, including a mansion house. The Congested Districts Board later acquired over 500 acres of Benjamin Parke's estate.
Trumble The Ordnance Survey field name books suggest that the Trumble family leased the lands at Old Rock from the Parke family .McTernan states that the family were descendents of a Cromwellian soldier who settled in the Kilmorgan area. In June 1855 Mary Trumble, a widow and Mary Trumble, spinster, offered for sale their property at Kilmorgan, barony of Corran, county Sligo. This property was purchased by members of the Duke family.
Cullen (Kilkerrin) The 'Parke' Cullens were another branch of the Cullen family of Manor Hamilton, county Leitrim. The Parke Cullens were descended from Patrick Cullen who married a daughter of William Parke of Castle Car, county Leitrim. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Parke Cullen held two townlands in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, on a lease renewable for ever, from Charles Kelly [of Newtown?]. Melvin notes that one of the Cullens married into the Waldron family of Kilkerrin in 1851. The Kelly interest was advertised for sale in June 1885. In the 1870s William Parke Cullen of Cloonkeen, Kilkerrin, owned 1,449 acres in county Leitrim and 677 acres in county Galway. Sometime after 1909 an offer on over 360 acres of the estate was accepted from the Congested Districts Board. http://www.lrbcg.com/jtcullen/Pedigree.htm