Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Cullen (Kilkerrin)

The 'Parke' Cullens were another branch of the Cullen family of Manor Hamilton, county Leitrim. The Parke Cullens were descended from Patrick Cullen who married a daughter of William Parke of Castle Car, county Leitrim. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Parke Cullen held two townlands in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, on a lease renewable for ever, from Charles Kelly [of Newtown?]. Melvin notes that one of the Cullens married into the Waldron family of Kilkerrin in 1851. The Kelly interest was advertised for sale in June 1885. In the 1870s William Parke Cullen of Cloonkeen, Kilkerrin, owned 1,449 acres in county Leitrim and 677 acres in county Galway. Sometime after 1909 an offer on over 360 acres of the estate was accepted from the Congested Districts Board. http://www.lrbcg.com/jtcullen/Pedigree.htm

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Cloonkeen Lodge (Kilkerrin) Cloonkeennagran Kilkerrin Glenamaddy Cloonkeen 72 Tiaquin Galway OSI Ref: M599551
OS Sheet: 31
Discovery map: 39