Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Cullen

Description

For an interesting pedigree of the Cullen family see http://www.lrbcg.com/jtcullen/Pedigree.htm


Estate(s)

Name Description
Cullen The Cullen family had held land in Leitrim, particularly in the Manorhamilton and Kinlough areas, since the time of Charles I, when Patrick Cullen came from Scotland as part of Sir Frederick Hamilton's troop in 1641. They married into other landed families in the area including the Wynne family of Hazelwood, Sligo. The Wray family were also married into the Cullen family and held over 500 acres in the Glenboy area of county Leitrim in 1878. McParlan includes Rev. Mr. Cullen of Skreeny on a list of "resident gentlemen of property" in 1802. In 1852 part of the estate of Cairncross T. Cullen was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Some 470 acres, a portion of the Skreeney estate, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in January 1855. In May 1859 Francis Nesbitt Cullen offered for sale his lands in the barony of Dromahaire including the house in the townland of Cavan. He purchased one lot while F.W. Cullen and Mr. Swansy purchased other lots. John James Cullen offered lands in the barony of Rosclogher for sale in the Landed Estates Court in November 1865 and June 1866. In May 1867 Cairncross and Hester Cullen offered land at Grange, barony of Carbury, county Sligo, for sale in the Landed Estates' Court. In November of that year the Irish Times reported that these lands had been purchased, in trust, by Mr. Kincaid for £2550. Henry Charles Cullen offered the demesne and lands at Corry for sale in November 1876. Some of this property was purchased by William Nixon while the sale of other lots was adjourned. Members of the Cullen family owned over 5000 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s.
Kelly (Newtown) A family with county Roscommon origins, members of 18th century generations of the Kellys served in the Austrian Army and were prominent landowners in Jamaica. In 1802 John Kelly bought the Newtown estate from the Brownes of Moyne and three generations of the family resided there in the 19th century. In the mid 19th century the estate amounted to nine townlands in the parish of Abbeyknockmoy, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. Charles Kelly is recorded as the owner of over 2,000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. Matilda, Countess de la Boisserie, wrote memoirs of her childhood at Newtown. In June 1885 Charles Kelly was advertising the sale of over 1,000 acres in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway and lands in the barony and county of Leitrim and in the baronies of Ballintober North and Athlone, county Roscommon. It is not clear if this is Charles Kelly of Newtown. The lands in the parish of Kilkerrin were leased to William Parke Cullen. The purchasers included John Marsham, Joseph Vaughan and the tenant of one of the properties, Michael Harrington.
Cullen (Kilkerrin) The 'Parke' Cullens were another branch of the Cullen family of Manor Hamilton, county Leitrim. The Parke Cullens were descended from Patrick Cullen who married a daughter of William Parke of Castle Car, county Leitrim. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Parke Cullen held two townlands in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, on a lease renewable for ever, from Charles Kelly [of Newtown?]. Melvin notes that one of the Cullens married into the Waldron family of Kilkerrin in 1851. The Kelly interest was advertised for sale in June 1885. In the 1870s William Parke Cullen of Cloonkeen, Kilkerrin, owned 1,449 acres in county Leitrim and 677 acres in county Galway. Sometime after 1909 an offer on over 360 acres of the estate was accepted from the Congested Districts Board. http://www.lrbcg.com/jtcullen/Pedigree.htm