Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Paget

The Paget estate was mainly in the parishes of Crossmolina and Kilfian, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo but they also held land in the parish of Kilglass, barony of Tireragh, county Sligo. Quinn writes that they sold some of their estate in 1851. In July 1853 the demesne and lands of Fahy and Ellagh with Glendavoolagh mountain, the estate of Thomas and James Paget, were advertised for sale. Fahy was held from the Earl of Arran. Lands at Kinnard, leased by the Pagets to the Simpson but latterly in the possession of Hannah Dempsey, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in June 1874. In 1876 the Pagets owned 2473 acres in county Mayo and 354 acres in county Sligo.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Kinard Lodge Kinard Kilglass Dromore West Kilglass 16 Tireragh Sligo OSI Ref: G301304
OS Sheet: 16
Discovery map: 24
Knockglass Knockglass Crossmolina Ballina Ardagh 14 Tirawley Mayo OSI Ref: G152 203
OS Sheet: 29
Discovery map: 23
Fahy Fahy Kilfian Killala Kilfian East 99 Tirawley Mayo OSI Ref: G152 264
OS Sheet: 21
Discovery map: 23

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (Burke), Paget, 12 July 1853, Vol 17; National Library of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Authority. Topographical and General Survey, 1941-1945. File Mayo North 1-16, parish of Crossmolina (Knockglass); Mayo County Library
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Dempsey/Paget, 26 June 1874, Vol 115, MRGS 39/053, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources