Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Knox (Castlereagh)

Description

The Knoxes of Moyne Abbey and Knoxes of Castlereagh were the 2 main lines descended from William Knox of Lifford, Co Donegal. Lawrence Edward Knox, grandson of John Knox of Castlereagh (1783-1861), founded the 'Irish Times' in 1859. His father had moved to Sussex when the Castlereagh estate was sold in 1853 but some of his uncles remained in Co Mayo. The Knoxes of Mount Falcon are a junior branch of this family.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bartley At the time of Griffith's Valuation George Bartley, also spelt Bartlett, held the townlands of Rostoohy and Cushalogurt, parish of Kilmeena, barony of Burrishoole, and Glencalry Upper and Glenagh, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo. John Knox of Castlereagh was the proprietor of these townlands at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. In 1876 George Bartley of London owned 216 acres in county Mayo.
Livingstone William Livingstown, a Westport merchant, had extensive business interests all over county Mayo in the mid 19th century. He bought Claggarnagh East and West (Greenhills), parish of Islandeady, barony of Burrishoole, from the 3rd Marquess of Sligo in 1854. He also held two townlands in the parish of Kilmaclasser, barony of Burrishoole. John Knox was proprietor of the Kilmaclasser townlands in 1838. Livingstone also leased property from the Marquess of Sligo in Westport town and at Mount Browne. Richard Livingstone held two townlands in the parish of Kilmeena, barony of Burrishoole. By the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard Livingstone also held three townlands in the parish of Omey, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway. In 1876 William Livingstone owned 2,223 acres in county Mayo and five acres in the town of Galway. The Livingstones later lived at Belclare, near Westport. By March 1916 The Honourable Mrs Livingstone had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of 730 acres of her estate.
Townsend Richard W.Townsend held four townlands in the parish of Kilmovee, barony of Costello, county Mayo at the time of Griffith's Valuation, previously part of the estate of John Knox of Castlerea, barony of Tirawley. By the 1870s the Townsend estate was in the ownership of the Reverend William Gibbon.
Beere At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard Beere held two townlands in the parish of Bohola and one townland in the parish of Templemore, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, which he would appear to have bought from the sale of the Knox of Castlereagh estate. Richard Beere is recorded as owning 754 acres in county Mayo later in the nineteenth century.
Graham The Grahams owned 700 acres in the parish of Kilconduff, barony of Gallen, county Mayo previously part of the estate of John Knox of Castlerea and in the parish of Meelick, previously part of the Bolingbroke estate. William Graham also leased property from the Marquess of Sligo in Westport town. In 1873 William J. Graham advertised for sale 949 acres in the barony of Gallen.
Joynt At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry Joynt held seven townlands in the parish of Templemore, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, previously part of the estate of John Knox of Castlerea, barony of Tirawley. Lane contends that Joynt was a land agent. In 1873 Henry Joynt was among the purchasers of townlands in the parish of Killasser at the sale of the Evans estate. In 1876 Henry Joynt of Ballina, county Mayo owned over 4000 acres in county Mayo. Members of the Joynt sold their estate to the Congested Districts' Board between 1914 and 1916.
Paget The Paget estate was mainly in the parishes of Crossmolina and Kilfian, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo but they also held land in the parish of Kilglass, barony of Tireragh, county Sligo. Quinn writes that they sold some of their estate in 1851. In July 1853 the demesne and lands of Fahy and Ellagh with Glendavoolagh mountain, the estate of Thomas and James Paget, were advertised for sale. Fahy was held from the Earl of Arran. Lands at Kinnard, leased by the Pagets to the Simpson but latterly in the possession of Hannah Dempsey, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in June 1874. In 1876 the Pagets owned 2473 acres in county Mayo and 354 acres in county Sligo.
Bourke (Killala) Walter James Bourke of Killala Castle, Co Mayo, leased much of the land in the parish of Templemore, barony of Gallen, in the ownership of John Knox of Castlereagh, parish of Killala.
Fawcett (Ballykinlettragh) The Fawcetts were resident on the townlands of Ballykinlettragh, parish of Kilfian, and Ballinglen, parish of Doonfeeny, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, at the time of the first Ordnance Survey c 1838. Lewis records Mount Glynne, the residence of J. Faussett, and Gross Lodge of R. Faussett. John and Richard Fausett MD were brothers and they had sisters: Jane who married Reverend Francis Little, Anne who married Andrew Watts and Mary who married Robert Mostyn. John Fawcett was agent to his sister, Mrs Watts, who was leasing Glencolry Lower from the Knoxes of Castlereagh. John Fausett married Matilda, widow of John Knox of Stoneville, Crossmolina. They were also connected to the Bournes family of Rossport.
Knox (Castlereagh) The Knoxes came from county Donegal and settled at Castlereagh in the 17th century. By the early 19th century they held an extensive estate of more than 10,000 acres in the barony of Gallen, county Mayo, situated mainly in the parishes of Templemore, Kilconduff and Killedan. They also owned most of the parish of Doonfeeny, in the barony of Tirawley and land in the parish of Kilmeena, barony of Burrishoole. In 1835 Arthur Edward Knox married Jane, daughter of the 2nd Earl of Rosse of Birr Castle. In 1853 Arthur E. Knox sold his estates in the Encumbered Estates' Court. The first sale amounted to 16,178 acres in three county Mayo baronies Gallen, Burrishoole and Costello and in the barony of Coolavin, county Sligo and the second sale comprised 25,004 acres in the barony of Tirawley and 1059 acres in the barony of Gallen. He and his wife went to live at Trotton House in Sussex. Their eldest son, Laurence E. Knox, founded the ''Irish Times'' newspaper in 1859. In the 1870s the representatives of Laurence E. Knox, Dublin, owned 902 acres in county Tipperary.
Knox (Mount Falcon) An estate in the parish of Ballynahaglish, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, previously belonging to the Watts and amounting to 2065 acres in 1876. This family of Knoxes also owned 5434 acres in county Sligo. The Knox family estate in the parish of Achonry was derived from a grant of land to Jeremy Jones at the Restoration. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Reverend George Knox and Frederick Knox were lessors of townlands in the parish of Achonry, barony of Leyny. In the 1870s they owned over 800 acres in county Sligo. At the same time Utred Knox of Mountfalcon, Ballina, owned over 3500 acres in county Sligo. By March 1916 Utred A. Knox had accepted a final offer from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of his estate. This included over 1600 acres acquired by the Board in county Sligo, principally in the barony of Leyny. In 1916 Hercules and Reginald Knox accepted offers from the Board on 1900 and 900 acres respectively. .
Mead At the time of Griffith's Valuation Joseph F. Mead had three townlands in the parish of Doonfeeny, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, previously part of the Knox of Castlereagh estate. In 1876 he owned 2872 acres in county Mayo. The estate was sold to the Congested Districts' Board on 28 July 1906.
Mudge At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Zachary Mudge owned three townlands in the parish of Doonfeeny, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, previously part of the Knox of Castlereagh estate. In 1876 Arthur Mudge, an army officer of Plympton, Devonshire had an estate of 3634 acres in county Mayo.
Knox /Blake Knox (Moyne Abbey) The senior branch of the Knox family in county Mayo who were descended from William Knox of Castlereagh. In 1741 Mrs. Dorothy Knox was given a lease of Moyne Abbey in the parish of Killala, barony of Tirawley for 999 years by James O'Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley. The Knoxes leased Moyne to the Jones in the 19th century. In that century the Blake Knoxes owned an estate in the parishes of Kilconduff, Templemore and Kildacommoge, in the barony of Gallen, and in the parish of Kildacommage, barony of Carra, county Mayo. They also had some lands in the parish of Kilmoylan, barony of Clare, county Galway and in the parishes of Rahara, barony of Athlone and Cloonfinlough, barony and county of Roscommon. Their county Mayo agent in the 1830s was George Knipe of Carn Hill, Belturbet. In 1834 Francis Blake Knox married Jane Knipe. In the 1870s the representatives of Francis Blake Knox owned 1,337 acres in county Galway. Henry Blake Knox of Moyne Abbey and Dalkey, county Dublin, owned 4662 acres in county Mayo , while his brother, Ernest Edward Knox, owned 1074 acres in county Roscommon and their uncle, Lieutenant Colonel William Knox of Brittas Castle, Thurles, county Tipperary, owned 1352 acres in county Mayo and 993 acres in county Tipperary. Lieutenant-Colonel William Knox bought the Brittas estate from the Langley family in 1853. It was mainly located in the parish of Rahelty, barony of Eliogarty. The estate of Henry Blake Knox was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 19 Mar 1914.
Little At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Reverend Francis Little, held two townlands in the parish of Doonfeeny, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, previously part of the Knox of Castlereagh estate. In 1819 he had married Jane Fausett, sister of John Fausett. In 1867 this small estate was put up for sale in the Landed Estates' Court by John and William Little. The Irish Times reports that it was sold to Colonel Knox Gore for over £4000.
Madden At the time of Griffith's Valuation Daniel Madden held lands in the parishes of Doonfeeny, Kilbride, Kilfian and Killala, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo. These lands had been sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852 and 1853 by Robert Gardiner of Cloonskirtaun and the Knoxes of Castlereagh. Quinn writes that the family were extensive merchants in Ballycastle, who bought land but that they were badly affected by the Famine, sold their property and went to Australia. However John William Madden of Ballycastle still owned over 4000 acres in county Mayo in 1876. He sold 478 acres to the Congested Districts' Board on 26 Apr 1905.
Ormsby (Rinagry) A small estate in the parish of Kilbelfad, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, held by a junior branch of the Ormsby family of Gortnaraby. At the time of Griffith's Valuation they were leasing from Edward S. Pery. In 1876 the estate amounted to 553 acres. In the mid 19th century another family member, Duke Ormsby, held two townlands in the parish of Doonfeeny.
Palmer (Summerhill) In 1741 James O'Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley, leased an estate in the parish of Templemurry, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, to Arthur Knox of Castlereagh for 999 years. The Knoxes subsequently sublet it to Thomas Palmer for 444 years. The Palmers also held land in the parish of Bekan, barony of Costello, under a lease dated 1715 from Dominick Jordan for 999 years. In 1853 the Palmer estate of 1279 acres was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court.
Baxter In 1853 Edward Baxter of Dundee, Scotland, a brother of Sir David Baxter of Baxter Brothers, bought part of the estate of the Knoxes of Castlereagh, county Mayo, in the parishes of Meelick, Kilconduff and Killedan in the barony of Gallen. He also bought Carrowbeg, parish of Killasser in the same barony from the sale of the Jackson estate also in 1853. The Baxter estate of almost 2000 acres in the barony of Gallen was sold in 1874 and 1875. Quinn gives details of the purchasers.
McDonnell (Palmfield) The Statistical Survey of county Mayo records Myles McDonnell of Cloonmore, barony of Costello, as a resident landlord in 1802. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Mark Garvey McDonnell held the townlands of Srah Upper and Lower in the parish of Kilbeagh, barony of Costello, county Mayo. John Knox of Castlereagh and the Phillips of Cloonmore were recorded as owners of these lands at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. The Sniggeen estate of Loughlin Redican and Mark G, McDonnell, his administrator, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in June 1862. This property was located in the barony of Corran, county Sligo. In 1876 Mark G. McDonnell of Springlawn, county Roscommon, owned 863 acres in county Mayo. Sir Antony McDonnell second son of Mark G. McDonnell became a prominent British diplomat in the early 20th century.
Forde John Ross Forde of Rochester, Kent, England, held land in the parish of Doonfeeny, barony of Tirawley at the time of Griffith's Valuation. By the 1870s he owned over 9000 acres in county Mayo. On 31 Jan 1908 he sold 13,170 acres to the Congested Districts' Board for £4,804.