Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Palmer (Summerhill)

In 1741 James O'Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley, leased an estate in the parish of Templemurry, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, to Arthur Knox of Castlereagh for 999 years. The Knoxes subsequently sublet it to Thomas Palmer for 444 years. The Palmers also held land in the parish of Bekan, barony of Costello, under a lease dated 1715 from Dominick Jordan for 999 years. In 1853 the Palmer estate of 1279 acres was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Summerhill Rathfran Templemurry Killala Lackan South 101 Tirawley Mayo OSI Ref: G190 333
OS Sheet: 15
Discovery map: 24

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Knox, 15 June 1854, Vol 29, MRGS 39/013, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Palmer, 17 Feb 1853, Vol 20, MRGS 39/009, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Summerhill photos. 011/082; Irish Architectural Archive

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources