Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Knox (Mount Falcon)

An estate in the parish of Ballynahaglish, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, previously belonging to the Watts and amounting to 2065 acres in 1876. This family of Knoxes also owned 5434 acres in county Sligo. The Knox family estate in the parish of Achonry was derived from a grant of land to Jeremy Jones at the Restoration. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Reverend George Knox and Frederick Knox were lessors of townlands in the parish of Achonry, barony of Leyny. In the 1870s they owned over 800 acres in county Sligo. At the same time Utred Knox of Mountfalcon, Ballina, owned over 3500 acres in county Sligo. By March 1916 Utred A. Knox had accepted a final offer from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of his estate. This included over 1600 acres acquired by the Board in county Sligo, principally in the barony of Leyny. In 1916 Hercules and Reginald Knox accepted offers from the Board on 1900 and 900 acres respectively. .

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Bunnacranagh House Bunnacranagh Achonry Tobercurry Achonry West 65 Leyny Sligo OSI Ref: G491057
OS Sheet: 42
Discovery map: 32
Mount Falcon Drumrevagh Ballynahaglish Ballina Mount Falcon 11 Tirawley Mayo OSI Ref: G242 134
OS Sheet: 39
Discovery map: 24
Rathmagurry House Rathmagurry Achonry Tobercurry Achonry West Leyny Sligo OSI Ref: G473073
OS Sheet: 37
Discovery map: 32

Archival sources

  • Pedigree of Knox of Mount Falcon, Hollywood and Greenwood Park, Co Mayo, 1789-1943. GO MS 182, 535-536; National Library of Ireland
  • Mount Falcon photos. 011/066; Irish Architectural Archive
  • Irish Tourist Association. Topographical and General Survey, 1941-1945. Parish of Backs. ITA/2/3; Mayo County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources