Landed Estates
NUI Galway
Reference Source

SLATER, Isaac. ''Royal National Directory of Ireland: List of the principal seats''. (Manchester: 1894)

Source Details

Category Contemporary printed sources

Estate Records Citing this Source

Found 376 estate records citing this source.

Reference Estate Name Estate Description
xxi, 78 Blakeney (Abbert) Robert Blakeney, a member of a family of Elizabethan settlers, was granted lands at Castle Blakeney,...
xxi, 66 Lambert (Cregclare) In 1824 Walter Lambert, Creggaclare, Walter Lambert, Castle Lambert, Walter Lambert, Lambert Lodge,...
xxi, 121 Roche (Aghada) The estate of James Joseph Roche at Aghada, barony of Barrymore, county Cork, came into the possessi...
xxi Winn The Winns were originally a Yorkshire family. Their main seat was at Nostell Priory, near Wakefield....
xxi,70 MacDermottroe This estate was centred around the house at Alderford, near Ballyfarnon, in County Roscommon. It inc...
xxi, 70 Bodkin (Annagh) The Bodkins, one of the ‘Tribes’ of Galway, were granted Annagh and other lands in the barony of Cla...
xxi, 72 O'Hara The O'Haras were the only Gaelic family to continue as major landowners in County Sligo up to modern...
xxi,164 Annesley/Grove Annesley (Annes Grove) A junior branch of the Annesley family which bore the titles Viscount Glerawly and Earl of Annesley,...
xxi, 124 Crosbie/Talbot-Crosbie (Ardfert) Reverend John Crosbie, bishop of Ardfert in the early 1600s, was the common ancestor of the Crosbies...
xxi, 15 Blake (Ardfry) By patent dated 24 Feb 1681 the Blakes were granted almost 12,000 acres in counties Galway and Mayo,...
xxi, 216, 225 Orpen (Glanarought) Burke describes the Orpen family as claiming great antiquity. They settled in Ireland after the Crom...
xxi, 120 Quin/Wyndham-Quin Thady Quin (1645-1726) of Adare, county Limerick, had two sons from whom descend the Earls of Dunrav...
xxi, 42 Guinness Sir Benjamin Lee Guinness of the famous brewing family began to purchase Connacht estates for sale i...
xxi, 19 Lynch Blosse A Galway family who lost most of their estates in that county under Cromwell but received extensive...
xxi, 254 Bouchier/Bourchier (Baggotstown) The Bouchiers had estates in county Limerick from Elizabethan times when they were granted some of t...
xxi, 45 Blake (Ballinafad) In the early 17th century a younger son of the Blake family of Ballyglunin, county Galway, acquired...
xxi, 28 Lewis (Galway) An Aylward property from the 17th century, which passed by a marriage in 1824 to a branch of the Lew...
xxi, 245 O'Callaghan (Ballinahinch) Weir writes that Ballinahinch, parish of Kilnoe, county Clare, belonged to the O'Callaghans from the...
xxi, 79 Berridge In 1872 the Ballynahinch estate in county Galway, was bought by Richard Berridge, a London brewer, f...
xxi,65 Ormsby (Ballinamore) The Ballinamore estate, in the parish of Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, was granted to the...
xxii, 44 Nolan (Ballinderry) The Nolans were Elizabethan settlers in the Ballinrobe area of county Mayo. They lost most of their...
xxii, 61 Comyn (Kilconnell) Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' states that Andrew Comyn of Ryefield, county Roscommon, married...
xxii, 207 Fitzgerald (Knight of Kerry) According to the late Desmond Fitzgerald, last Knight of Glin, county Limerick, three of the cadet b...
xxii, 141 Connor (Ballybricken) In March 1702 Daniel Connor of Bandon Bridge, county Cork, merchant, bought 744 acres at Curryleagh...
xxii, 85 Lynch (Ballycurrin) An estate in the parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, in the possession of the Lynch f...
xxii, 317 Barry/Smith-Barry (Ballyedmond) In 1814 John Smith-Barry of Marbury Hall, Cheshire and Fota Island, county Cork, married Eliza-Mary,...
xxii, 33 O'Connor Peter O'Connor, a successful merchant in Sligo, acquired land in various parishes in the baronies of...
xxii, 29 Sampey Henry Sampey was leasing property in the barony of Castlereagh at the time of Griffith's Valuation....
xxii, 202 Norwood William Norwood, of Dunmanway, was the owner of over 500 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. He was a...
xxii, 131 Crosbie (Ballyheige) Reverend John Crosbie, bishop of Ardfert in the early 1600s, was the common ancestor of the Crosbies...
xxii, 222 O'Connell (Barryscourt) Morgan John O’Connell was a son of John O’Connell of Grenagh, county Kerry, and his wife Elizabeth C...
xxii, 181 (Ballymonis), xxxii, 332 (Rockbarton), xxxiii, 325 (Trabolgan) Roche (Trabolgan) The Roches were established at Trabolgan, Whitegate, county Cork, from the mid 17th century. In 1703...
xxii, 15 ,xxv, 14 (Creg Clare) Bingham (Newbrook) This estate was founded by John Bingham of Foxford, county Mayo, younger brother of Sir Henry Bingha...
xxii, 41, (Ballymore), xxxiii, 41 (Somerset) Seymour (Galway) The Seymour family first settled in east Galway in the late 17th century. The families at Ballymore...
xxii, 149 Croker (Ballynagarde) The Crokers settled in county Limerick in the 17th century and were resident at Ballynagarde early i...
xxii, 136 (Ballyseedy) Blennerhassett (Ballyseedy & Beaufort) Smith states that the Blennerhassett family were originally from Cumbria, in the north of England. T...
xxii, 95 Ruttledge (Barbersfort) A county Galway estate in the parish of Killererin, barony of Clare, purchased by Robert Ruttledge f...
xxii, 82 Lynch (Barna) According to Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' the Barna estate came into the possession of the L...
xxiii, 298 Lloyd (Beechmount) In 1805 Colonel Thomas Lloyd purchased Beechmount in the parish of Rathkeale, barony of Connello Low...
xxiii, 199 Keane (Beech Park) The Keanes were established in county Clare from at least the mid 17th century and were residing at...
xxiii, 64 Montgomery Hugh Lyons Montgomery was MP for Leitrim, 1852-57 and served as High Sheriff in 1840. In 1876 the Mo...
xxiii, 172 Lynch/Wilson Lynch (Renmore & Duras) A Galway family who prospered in the 18th century as merchants and bankers. Patrick M. Lynch is rec...
xxiii, 43 O'Shaughnessy (Creagh) In the 1870s John O'Shaughnessy owned almost 400 acres in county Roscommon.
xxiii, 98 Caswell The Caswell family were farmers and millers in the Blackwater locality, parish of St Patricks, count...
xxiii, 142 Colthurst In 1702 Nicholas Colthurst of Ballyally, county Cork, purchased over 1,000 acres from the trustees f...
xxiii, 82 Ruttledge (Bloomfield) In May 1749, Peter Ruttledge of Cornfield and Carrowkillen, parish of Robeen, barony of Kilmaine, co...
xxiii, 222 Bowen/Cole-Bowen Originally from Wales, Henry Bowen, a Cromwellian army officer, settled in county Cork. In 1660 his...
xxiii, 60 Brabazon This family were descended from Sir Anthony Brabazon of Ballinasloe Castle, a younger brother of Sir...
xxiii, 45 Acton (Bridgemount) The Acton family had an estate of over a thousand acres in the parish of Drum, barony of Carra, coun...
xxiii, 43 Lambert (Brookhill) The Lamberts of county Mayo were descended from the county Galway family located at Cregclare and Ag...
xxiii, 84 (Brookill), xxix, 72 (Kinlough), xxx, 84 (Mount Prospect) Johnston (Kinlough) The Johnston family from Fermanagh purhased this land in Leitrim in the early 18th century. In 1802...
xxiii, 147, (Bunratty), xxvi, 228 (Dunboy Castle) Studdert (Bunratty) The Reverend George Studdert, rector of Kilpeacon and Rathkeale, county Limerick, was the son of Geo...
xxiii, 185 de Moleyns (Lord Ventry) Smith indicates that Frederick Mullins was granted lands in Dingle, which he named Burnham after the...
xxiii, 147 Travers History suggests that the Travers family acquired much of the land fomerly owned by the Abbey of Tim...
xxiii, 222 White (Cahiracon) The Whites of Woodlands, county Dublin, Rathcline, county Longford, Lareen, county Leitrim, Cahircon...
xxiii, 93 (Caher), xxvii & 50 (Fremchpark) French /ffrench (Frenchpark) Patrick French fitzStephen of Galway is recorded as the earliest member of the family to be associat...
xxiii, 299 (Cahermoyle) O'Brien (Cahermoyle) William Smith O'Brien was born at Dromoland, county Clare in 1803. He was the second son of Sir Edw...
xxiii, 259 (Caherline) Gabbett (Caherline) A Shropshire family who were established at Caherline, county Limerick by the end of the 17th centur...
xxii, 219 (Callansfersy) Marshall (County Kerry) John Marshall, son of Robert, assignee to Sir William Petty, was granted 58,701 acres in the barony...
xxiv, 182 Roche (Carass) George Roche was Mayor of Limerick at the beginning of the 18th century and also represented the cit...
xxiv, 47 Handcock Patrick Melvin writes that Carrowntryla was originally a Burke property, which was sold in 1753 to A...
xxiv, 265 (Carhoo) Colthurst (Dripsey Castle) This county Cork family was a junior branch of the Colthurst family, baronets and were descended fro...
xxiv, 276 Foote/Foott (Millfort & Carrigacunna) The Foote family were living in county Cork by the early 18th century. Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ir...
xxiv, 245 Fitzgerald (Carrigoran) A branch of the Geraldines of Pallas, county Limerick, was established at Carrigoran, parish of Kiln...
xxiv, 83 Burke (Carrowroe) In the 1870s John Burke of Carrowroe Park, Roscommon, owned 2941 acres in county Roscommon.
xxiv, 35 Bingham The Binghams were military commanders sent to Connacht in the 16th century, where they settled in th...
xxiv, 134 (Castle Bernard), xxv & 301(Coolmain) Bernard According to Burke, the first Francis Bernard settled in Ireland around the time of Elizabeth I. In...
xxiv, 263 Collis/Cooke Collis The Collis estate was in the parishes of Clondulane and Leitrim, barony of Condons and Clangibbon, c...
xxiv, 50 (Castlecoote), xxiv, 133 (Chute Hall), xxvii, 225 (Glenfield) Chute It appears that this family owes its origins in county Kerry to George Chute, a soldier in the Engli...
xxiv, 218 Barry (Castle Cor) In 1754 Richard Barry married Mary Norton and their son Colonel Richard Barry purchased the Castle C...
xxiv, 14 Daly (Castledaly) This branch of the Dalys were descended from the Dalys of Killimer and also Dalysgrove, near Ahascra...
xxiv, 15 Lambert (Castle Ellen) The Lambert family came originally from Yorkshire but were settled in county Galway since the reign...
xxiv, 296 Evans/Evans-Freke John Evans, of Welsh descent, settled in the city of Limerick in the early 17th century. In 1666 Geo...
xxiv, 69 Gore (Castle Gore) In 1666 the Gores were granted extensive estates, over 14,700 acres, in the barony of Tirawley, coun...
xxiv, 67 Kirwan (Castlehacket) In the 16th century the Castlehacket and Cahermorris estates near Tuam in county Galway belonged to...
xxiv, 131 Harrison (Castle Harrison) This family was residing at Castle Harrison, Charleville, county Cork, from at least the mid 18th ce...
xxiv, 44 Walsh (Castlehill) In the late 1830s the Walshes inherited part of the Cormack estate in the parish of Crossmolina, bar...
xxiv, 262 (Castlehyde) Hyde (Castle Hyde) A family who settled in county Cork in Elizabethan times. In the early 1850s John Hyde's estate was...
xxiv,43 (Castlemagarrett) Browne (Castlemagarret) The Brownes of Carrowbrowne, parish of Oranmore, county Galway, had estates in the counties Galway,...
xxiv, 178 (Castle Mary), xxix, 130 (Longueville), xxxii, 147 (Seafort), Longfield (Castlemary & Longueville) John Longfield, of Castle Mary, near Cloyne, county Cork married Mary Hawnby of Mallow, county Cork....
xxiv, 163 Boyle (Earl of Shannon) Henry Boyle, a descendent of Richard Boyle, first Earl of Cork, was created Earl of Shannon, baron o...
xxiv, 99 (Castlepark) Delmege The French "Palatine" family of Delmege or Dolmage were settled at Rathkeale in county Limerick in t...
xxiv, 148 (Castlequin), xxvi, 254 (Dunloe Castle) Mahony (Dunkerron North) The Mahonys were originally a Gaelic Irish family, various branches of which held lands in Cork, Ker...
xxii, 26 (Ballycastle House [Mullins]), xxiv, 64 (Castlereagh), xxxii, 93 (Rathfranpark) Knox (Castlereagh) The Knoxes came from county Donegal and settled at Castlereagh in the 17th century. By the early 1...
xxiv, 63 (Castlerea) Sandford/Wills Sandford The descendants of Captain Theophilus Sandford of Moyglare, county Meath, settled at Castlerea, coun...
xxiv, 50 Mulry At the beginning of the 20th century Thomas Mulry held an estate at Castlestrange, county Roscommon....
xxiv, 14 (CastleTaylor) Shawe-Taylor Walter Taylor was granted almost a thousand acres in the barony of Kiltartan, county Galway in Febru...
xxiv,16 (Castletown Conyers) Conyers The Conyers family were established at Castletown Conyers in county Limerick by the early 18th centu...
xxiv, 220 (Castletown Manor) Waller (Castletown) This branch of the Waller family are descended from Sir Hardress Waller, a Cromwellian soldier, who...
xxiv, 164 Smyth (Castle Widenham) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Grice R. Smith held land in the parishes of Ardnageehy and Kilqu...
xxiv, 69 (Charlestown), xviii & 58 (Jamestown Lodge) King (Drumsna) The King family descend from the Reverend Edward King, Bishop of Elphin (1611-1639) who was granted...
xxii, 227 (Ballyduvane), xxv, 182 (Creagh House) Beecher/Becher Burke's ''Irish Family Records'' and Smith both indicate that the Beechers were originally a Kent...
xxiii & 348 Usher/Ussher (Cappagh & Camphire, Co Waterford) Beverly Usher was granted 1,295 acres in the barony of Imokilly, county Cork in 1667. Sadleir refer...
xxiv & 153 Keane (Cappoquin) According to family sources, the Keanes have held this property since the seventeenth century when G...
xxiv & 285 Bloomfield The Bloomfield family were originally settled at Eyre Court, county Galway, in the early 18th centur...
xxv & 85 Martin (later Wood-Martin) The Martin family owned extensive property in Sligo town and surrounding area. Many served in politi...
xxv & 39 Eyre (Clifden) Thomas Eyre of Bath, Somerset, bought much of the property of John D'Arcy of Clifden, county Galway,...
xxv & 63 O'Conor Don The O'Conor Don ancestral lands were in County Roscommon centred on Clonalis House near Castlerea....
xxv & 13 (Clonbrock) Dillon (Clonbrock) The Dillons were a Norman family who initially received grants of land in Westmeath and who later ac...
xxv & 243 (Clonderlaw), xxx, 255 (Moy House) Studdert (Clonderalaw) Five generations of Studderts lived at Clonderalaw, parish of Kilmurry, barony of Clonderalaw, count...
xxv & 132 Hare (Listowel) The Hare family had come to Ireland after the Cromwellian settlement and acquired property initiall...
xxv & 264 Browne (Coolcour) The Brownes were established at Coolcour/Coolcower, parish of Macroom, county Cork, from at least th...
xxv & 180 (Coole Abbey) Peard Turtle Bunbury writes that Henry Peard of Coole married Mary Gumbleton of Curraglass, county Cork, i...
xxv & 70 Gregory The Coole estate was purchased by Robert Gregory from the Martyns of Tullira in 1768 on his return f...
xxv & 227 Cooper (Cooperhill) Samuel Cooper of Cooper Hill, parish of Kilkeedy, county Limerick, died in 1779 aged 62 years, accor...
XXV, 181 (Corkbeg) Fitzgerald/Penrose Fitzgerald (Corkbeg) In 1667 Garrett Fitzgerald was granted the castle, town and lands of Kilcorkbegg alias Corkbeg with...
xxv, 78 (Correen) Potts The Drum Heritage Group record Correen, parish of Moore, barony of Moycarn, county Roscommon as the...
xxv, 180 O'Byrne John Byrne of Mullinahack, county Dublin, a partner in the firm of that name, married Elizabeth Byrn...
xxv, 283 Courtenay The introduction to the Devon rentals at the Limerick City Archives states that "the Devon Estate in...
xxv, 227 (Cragbeg), xxvi, 227 (Elm Park) Massey (Elm Park) The Lords Clarina are descended from Eyre Massey, sixth son of Hugh Massy of Duntrileague, county Li...
xxv, 93 Fair (Creggagh) John Fair of Creggagh, parish of Toomore, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, was a merchant, who held th...
xxv, 181 (Cratloe Woods) O'Brien/Stafford O'Brien In 1699 Henry O'Brien, second son of sir Donough O'Brien of Dromoland Castle, county Clare, married...
xxv, 187 (Creagh Castle) Creagh/Brasier Creagh In 1779 Alderman Kilner Brooke Brasier of Rivers and Ballyvoir, Lisard, county Limerick married Mary...
xxv, 14 (Cregg Castle) Blake (Cregg Castle) The Blakes of Cregg Castle, county Galway, were descended from the Blakes of Renvyle and Kiltolla an...
xxv, 31 (Croghan) Lloyd (Croghan & Leitrim) The Lloyd estate was centred on Croghan, close to Carrick-on-Shannon but located in county Roscommon...
xxv, 182 (Croom Castle and House) Lyons (Croom) The Lyne or Lyons family were established in Croom, county Limerick, by the beginning of the 18th ce...
xxv, 183 (Crosshaven House) Hayes (Crosshaven) Ó Murchadha states that, in 1656, Richard Hayes, gentleman, of Cork city, was assigned the lands of...
xxv, 224 Savage (Kerry) Portions of the estate of George Edwards Savage in the barony of Iraghticonnor were offered for sale...
xxv, 120 De Vere This family were descended from Vere Hunt, a Cromwellian soldier who was granted land in county Lime...
xxv, 169 (Curraghmore) Beresford/Le Poer Beresford The Beresford family, Marquis of Waterford and Viscount Tyrone, owned land in various parts of Irela...
xxv, 318 French (Cuskinny) The French family of county Cork descend from Richard French of the city of Cork who died in 1651....
xxv, 85 (Dalgan Park) Kirwan (Dalgan) This junior branch of the Kirwans of Cregg Castle, county Galway, were merchants in the city of Galw...
xxv, 220 (Derrynane), xxix, 231 (Lakeview) O'Connell The O’Connells are an ancient Gaelic family, whom Burke claims had their origins in county Clare, be...
xxv, 70 Hardy (Dartfield) Joseph Hardy was a farmer who rented large amounts of land from Lord Dunsandle. This included over 2...
xxv, 134 (Debsborough) Bayly (Debsborough) The Bayly family were established at Debsborough, Nenagh, county Tipperary from the early 18th centu...
xxv, 216 Petty-Fitzmaurice (Marquess of Lansdowne) This estate owes its origins to Sir William Petty, renowned cartographer, mathematician and scientis...
xxvi, 228 (Derry Castle) Spaight The Spaight family was originally from Kent. In the late 17th century Thomas Spaight was seneschal...
xxvi, 188 (Derrylaghan Park) Head The Head family descend from Michael Head, Sheriff of the city of Waterford in 1672 and Mayor in 168...
xxvi, 237 (Derrymore) Gore (Clonroad & Tyredagh Castle) In 1712 Henry 8th Earl of Thomond leased Clonroad, parish of Drumcliff, barony of Islands, county Cl...
xxvi, 221 (Derryquin) Warden Col. Charles W. Warden owned c.1000 acres in the Sneem area of county Kerry in 1906.
xxvi, 187 (Doneraile Park) St. Leger A Norman family who first established connections with the Province of Munster in the mid 16th centu...
xxvi, 235 (Doolin Castle), xxvi, 201 (Ennistymon House) Macnamara (Doolin) This branch of the Macnamara family was established in the barony of Burren, north county Clare, at...
xxvi, 45 (Doughcloyne) Sarsfield (County Cork) The Sarsfield family were established in Cork since medieval times. Many of them served as High Sher...
xxvi, 180 (Drew's court) Drew (Drewsborough & Drewscourt) A branch of a Devonshire family who settled in county Waterford in the reign of Elizabeth I. By th...
xxvi,189 (Dripsey Castle) Colthurst (Dripsey Castle) This county Cork family was a junior branch of the Colthurst family, baronets and were descended fro...
xxvi, 189 (Dripsey House) Greer In November 1853 Alfred Greer, fourth son of Thomas Greer of Rhone Hill, county Tyrone, married Marg...
xxvi, 161 (Drishane) Somerville Burke's ''Irish Family Records'' indicates that the first of this family to settle in Cork was Rev....
xxvi, 180 (Drishane castle) Wallis (Drishane Castle) A family established at Curraglass, Mogeely, county Cork, from the early 17th century. In 1703, Thom...
xxvi, 190 (Dromagh Castle), xxx, 189 (Mount Leader) Leader (Mount Leader & Dromagh Castle) The senior branch of the Leader family descended from Henry Leader who bought estates in county Cork...
xxvi, 121 (Dromana) Villiers Stuart/Stuart (de Decies) The introduction to the Public Record Office Northern Ireland list of the Villiers Stuart papers sta...
xxvi, 245 (Dromoland) O'Brien (Dromoland) The introduction to the Inchiquin Papers in the National Library of Ireland records that, in about 1...
xxvi, 221 (Dromore Castle), xxxi, 72 (Northampton, Harry de Vere Pery) Pery Sometime in the mid 17th century Susanna Sexton, eventually heiress to the Sexton estates in county...
xxvi, 306 (Dromore) Crowe (Dromore) The Crowe family were living at Nutfield, near Ennis, county Clare in the 1780s. Burke records that...
xxvi, 64 (Drumkeel) Palmer (Leitrim) The Palmer family were resident at Sriff or Shriff from at least the end of the 18th century. They...
xxvii & 202 (Manor House) Lucas (East Carbery) George Lucas, JP, of Ballinadee, Bandon was the owner of over 1200 acres in county Cork in the 1870s...
xxvii & 203 (Fedamore), xxviii & 182 (Islandmore) Kelly/Roche Kelly Descended from an O’Kelly of county Kilkenny, the Kelly family were established in county Limerick b...
xxvii & 297 Fell Richard Latham Fell of Ulverstone, Lancashire and Fell Fort, Watergrasshill, Fermoy, county Cork, ow...
xxvii & 167 (Fermoyle) Hickson (Corkaguiny) Both James and Robert Hickson held lands in several parishes in the barony of Corkaguiny at the time...
xxvii & 224 (Fishmoyne), xxxiii, 316 (Templemore Abbey) Carden (Templemore & Fishmoyne) The Cardens settled at Templemore, county Tipperary, in the mid 17th century. In 1717 John Carden...
xxvii & 97 (Flowerhill) Nugent (Pallas) In 1677 Thomas Nugent was granted an estate of 3,250 acres in the baronies of Leitrim and Longford,...
xxvii & 219 (Fortfergus) Ball (Fort Fergus) William Hawkins Ball was the eldest son of Benjamin Ball of Dublin and his wife Elizabeth, daughter...
xxvii & 47 (Fortlands) Brinkley Richard Graves Brinkley purchased lands in various parts of County Sligo in the Encumbered Estates C...
xxvii & 16 (Fort Lyster) Jameson (Windfield) The Jamesons were a Dublin family well known in the 19th century distilling and banking circles of t...
xxvii & 172 (Fota) Barry/Smith-Barry (Fota) John Smith-Barry of Marbury Hall, Cheshire and Fota Island, county Cork, was a son of James Hugh Smi...
xxvii & 223 Kenny (Freagh Castle) According to the Cecil S. Kenny material in the National Library of Ireland, Matthias Kenny of Freag...
xxvii & 217 Buckley By the mid 1870s Nathaniel Buckley, a Lancashire cotton millionaire, had bought much of the Earl of...
Garbally, xxvii & 59 Trench (Garbally) Burke indicates that the Trenches originated in France but settled in the North of England. Frederic...
Gardenmorris, xxvii & 217 Power O'Shee (Gardenmorris) The Shees were a Kilkenny family of ancient lineage who married into a number of other significant l...
Gurteen, xxvii,174, 249 Power (Gurteen) A family decended from the Poer family established in county Waterford in the 12th century and who h...
Glanleam, xxvii & 334 Fitzgerald (Knight of Kerry) According to the late Desmond Fitzgerald, last Knight of Glin, county Limerick, three of the cadet b...
xxvii & 84 (Glenade) Tottenham The Tottenham family's main properties were based in Leinster, especially in the counties of Wicklow...
xxvii & 258 (Glencairn, Mrs. Bushe) Bushe Colonel John Bushe, originally from Somerset, was granted lands at Kilfane in county Kilkenny follow...
xxvii & 228 (Glenduff Castle) Ievers (Mountievers) The first member of this family to settle in county Clare in the 1640s was Henry Ievers. He was a c...
xxvii, 20 (Glengarriff Castle) White/Hedges White Richard Hedges of Macroom Castle and Mount Hedges, county Cork, married Mary Eyre and had a son, Ric...
xxvii, 44 (Glenglassera Lodge) Mudge At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Zachary Mudge owned three townlands in the parish of Doonfeeny,...
xxvii, 285 (Glenstal) Barrington (Glenstal) The Barringtons settled in Limerick city at the end of the 17th century, Benjamin Barrington was she...
xxvii, 149 (Glenview) Russell (Limerick) A branch of the Russell family held land in the parish of Kilfergus, barony of Shanid, county Limeri...
xxvii, 128 (Glenwilliam) Atkinson (Glenwilliam) According to Burke's Landed Gentry the Atkinsons settled in the north of Ireland in the late 16th ce...
xxvii, 223 (Glin Castle) Fitzgerald (Knight of Glin) The Knight of Glin is a title which was in existence for six centuries, borne by a branch of the Fit...
xxviii, 157 (Grange) Condon/Condron/Conron In the 18th century this family was located at Walshestown, parish of Churchtown, barony of Orrery a...
xxviii, 146 (The Grange) Croker (The Grange) Edward Croker, son of the Reverend Robert Croker of the Ballynagarde family and his wife Margaret O'...
xxviii, 223 (Grantstown) Massy (Grantstown) Like the Glenwilliam branch of the family the Massys of Grantstown descend from the Reverend William...
xxviii, 74 (Gurtray) O'Kelly (Gortray/Fairfield) Ambrose O'Kelly was the one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilmalinoge, barony of Longfor...
xxviii, 63 (Harristown) Young (Castlerea & Sligo) The Young family held lands in the parish of Drumcliff according to the 1749 Census of Elphin. In 18...
xxviii, 71 (Hatley Manor), xxxi, 88 (Newtown Manor, Pottinger) Whyte (Newtown Manor) Colonel John James Whyte is recorded as the owner of over 9000 acres in county Leitrim in the 1880s....
xxviii, 33 (Hazelwood) Wynne The Wynne family established themselves in Sligo in the later 17th century. They went on to become o...
xxviii, 67 (Headford Castle) McDonagh (Lickmolassy/Wilmount) According to Burke's ''Landed Gentry of Ireland'' (1904) the McDonoghs held land in the Gort area in...
xxviii, 66 (Hearnesbrook) Hunter & McKay In 1906 James A. Hunter and H.E. McKay were the owners of over 500 acres of untenanted land in the K...
xxviii, 44 (Heathfield) Bourke (Heathfield) An estate in the parishes of Kilbride and Lackan, barony of Tirawley, Co Mayo, comprised of 1663 acr...
xviii, 160 (Hermitage) Massy The Massy family are descended from a Cromwellian soldier Captain Hugh Massy who was granted 3,055 a...
xxviii, 314 (Hoddersfield) Hodder (Hoddersfield) A Dorset family who settled in county Cork in the mid 17th century. ''Burke's Irish Family Records'...
xviii, 31 (Hollybrook) Ffolliott The ffolliott family held lands in the parish of Aghanagh since the early 18th century. At the time...
xxviii, 60 (Hollymount) Lindsey (Hollymount) This branch of the Lindsey family were descended from a younger son of the first Lindsey of Turin, p...
xxviii, 15 (Hollypark) Blake (Hollypark) In 1824 Pierce Blake of Hollypark is described as a resident proprietor in county Galway. Peter Blak...
xxviii, 220 (Holly Park) Taylor (Ballynort & Holly Park ) An entry in ''Pue's Occurances'' 19-23 June 1739 indicates that the Taylors were resident at Ballyno...
xxvi, 48 (Earlsfield), xxviii, 33 (Holywell), Gethin Under the Restoration settlement Richard Gethin, created a baronet in 1665, was granted a large esta...
xxviii, 320 (Inch) Ryan (Inch) The Ryan family were located at Inch, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, from the late 17th cent...
xviii, 213 (Inislonagh House) Gough (Limerick) The Gough family were originally from Wiltshire and descend from Reverend Hugh Gough, brother of R...
xxviii, 160 (The Island) De Burgho (Castleconnell) Lewis wrote that the Bourkes were connected with the parish of Stradbally from the 12th century. Th...
xxviii & 235 (Kells Lodge) Blennerhassett (Killorglin) This branch of the Blennerhassett family acquired lands around Killorglin which had formerly been pa...
xxviii &190 (Kenneigh House) Fitzgerald (Iveragh) The estate of John Fitzgerald amounted to over 800 acres in the 1870s. His estate was one of the pri...
xxviii& 254 (Kilballyowen) O'Grady (Kilballyowen) This was the senior family of O'Grady in Munster. This family was located in the Kilballyowen area...
xxviii & 243 (Kilboy) Prittie (Lord Dunalley) The Prittie family descend from Colonel Henry Prittie who was granted 5,900 acrese in county Tippera...
xxviii & 218 (Kilbrittain Castle), xxix, 297 (Lisnagar) Stawell (Kilbrittain) Burke's "Landed Gentry of Ireland" (1912) traces the lineage of this family back to the 12th century...
xxviii & 134 (Kilcaskan Castle) Daunt (East Carbery) This branch of the Daunt family descends from William Daunt of the Tracton Abbey family, whom Burke...
xxviii & 60 (Kilcolgan House) St. George (Tyrone House) The St.George estate was centred on the house at Tyrone, parish of Drumacoo, barony of Dunkellin, bu...
xviii & 219 (Kilcolman Abbey) Godfrey (Kilcolman) According to Smith, the first Godfrey to settle in Kerry was John, who was granted an estate under...
xxviii & 90 (Kilcornan House) Redington (Kilcornan) The Redington family estate was centred on their house at Kilcornan. This had previously been a Burk...
xxix, 225 (Kilfrush) Gubbins By the end of the 17th century Joseph Gubbins was settled at Knocklong, county Limerick. Joseph Gubb...
xxix, 243 (Kilkishen) Studdert (Kilkishen) The Studdert families of Kilkishen and Bunratty, county Clare, are descended from the Reverend Georg...
xxix, 251 (Killaghy) Walpole At the time of Griffith's Valuation George Walpole was the main tenant on the lands of Trilacroghan,...
xxix, 230 (Killarney House) Browne (Kenmare) Smith states that Sir Valentine Browne was granted over 6000 acres in county Kerry after the Desmond...
xxix, 287 (Killenure Castle) Cooper (Killenure) This family, originally from Surrey, settled at Butterhill in county Wicklow in the 17th century. Fo...
xxix, 35 (Killygar) Godley The Godley family held lands in the barony of Carrigallen, centred around the house at Killygar, som...
xxix, 246 (Kilruane) Tuite (Kilruane) In 1876, Sir Mark Anthony Henry Tuite, baronet, of Sonagh, county Westmeath, is recorded as the owne...
xxix, 246 (Kilrush House) Vandeleur (Kilrush) The Vandeleur family are descended from Maxmilian Van Der Leur, a Dutch merchant, who had settled in...
xxix, 250 (Kiltinane Castle) Cooke (Kiltinan Castle) The Cookes of Kiltinan Castle, Fethard, county Tipperary were descended from Edward Cooke, younger b...
xxix, 72 (Kilturra) Cooke The estate at Kilturra was originally part of the property of the Archdeacon of Achonry. It was held...
xxix, 78 (Knockbrack) Hall (Knockbrack) The Halls were an English family who settled in the north of Ireland at Narrow Water, county Down, i...
xxix, 332 (Knocklofty) Hely Hutchinson The Hutchinsons were established at Knocklofty, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county Tipperary, from...
xxix, 236 (Knoppoge) Butler (Knappogue) The Lords Dunboyne of the 19th century were descended from James Butler of Cragnagowra, county Clare...
xxix, 28 (Kylemore) Henry (Kylemore) Mitchell Henry was a doctor who was left a large fortune by his father, a Manchester merchant, in 18...
xxix, 168 (Lassinagh) Stokes The Stokes family first settled in county Limerick in the seventeenth century but gained estates in...
xxix, 122 (Leades) Woodley This family settled in the parish of Aghabulloge, county Cork, in the mid 17th century. Anthony Woo...
xxix, 184 (Leemount) Young (Leemount) In the 1870s, Henry Lindsay Young, whose address is given as Leemount, Cork, was the owner of over 5...
xxix, 265 (Leemount) Beamish Burke's Irish Family Records indicates that lands granted to members of the Beamish family were conf...
xxix, 316 (Lisheen Castle) Lloyd (Lisheen, Co Tipperary) From his will dated 1770 it is evident that John Lloyd bought Lisheen, parish of Moyne, county Tippe...
xxix, 45 (Lissadell) Gore Booth The Gore Booth family were descended from Sir Francis Booth who was granted land at Ardtermon, bar...
xxix, 45 (Lissadell) Gore Booth The Gore Booth family were descended from Sir Francis Booth who was granted land at Ardtermon, bar...
xxix, 45 (Lissadell) Gore Booth The Gore Booth family were descended from Sir Francis Booth who was granted land at Ardtermon, bar...
xxix, 44 (Longford House) Crofton (Sligo) The Croftons acquired land in the 17th century from the McSweeneys which had previously been part of...
xxix, 317 (Long Orchard) Lalor/Power-Lalor Jeremiah Lalor settled in county Tipperary in the mid 17th century and married Judith O'Meagher. T...
xxx, 29 (Loughcooter) Gough The Goughs were a Wiltshire family members of whom settled in the south of Ireland in the 1620s. Sir...
xxx, 74 (Loughglinn) Dillon (Loughglynn) The Dillon family held a large estate on the border of counties Mayo and Roscommon. They were descen...
xxx, 71 (Loughscur) Peyton (Loughscur) Richard Reynolds Peyton of Loughscur owned over 2500 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s. He was Hi...
xxx, 71 Loughscur) Reynolds George Nugent Reynolds was the owner of Letterfine in the late 18th century. McParlan records Mr. Re...
xxx, 264 (Macroom Castle) Guinness Sir Benjamin Lee Guinness of the famous brewing family began to purchase Connacht estates for sale i...
xxx, 267 (Mallow Castle) Jephson-Norreys (Mallow Castle) Following the Desmond Rebellion in the 16th century, Mallow Castle was granted to Sir John Norreys,...
xxx, 202 (Manch) Conner (Manch) Burke indicates that the Conners first settled in the town of Bandon in the late seventeenth century...
xxx, 26 (Markree Castle) Cooper (Markree) Edward Cooper was a soldier in Richard Coote [Lord Collooney]'s, regiment of horse. He is known in...
xxx, 268 (Marlfield) Bagwell (Marlfield) In 1749 William Bagwell, Member of Parliament for Clonmel married Jane daughter and co heir of John...
xxi, 171 (Ballinard Castle), xxx, 145 (Meldrum) Tennant The Tennant family [from Kirkcubridshire] bought the Jacob estate of Mobarnan in the 1850s. In the...
xxx, 80 (Menlough Castle) Blake (Menlo) The Blakes, raised to the peerage as baronets in 1622, were established at Menlough on the bank of t...
xxx, 80 (Merlin Park), xxxi, 12 (Moyne Park) Waithman Robert William Waithman, a member of a Lancashire family, came to Ireland in the 1860s and purchased...
xxx, 272 (Milltown House) Morony (Milltown Malbay) The Moronys of Miltown Malbay, barony of Ibrickan, county Clare, share a common ancestry with the Mo...
xxx, 304 (Myross Wood) Townsend (Derry & Myross Wood) The Townsend estates in west Cork derive from Colonel Richard Townsend, an officer in the Cromwellia...
xxx, 273 (Mitchelstown Castle) King (Kingston/Lorton) The King estate was one of the largest in Connacht including lands in Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo as wel...
xxx, 275 (Mogeely, seat of Lt-Col. Des Barres) Cavendish In 1753 the Cavendish family, Dukes of Devonshire, inherited the Lismore estate, mainly located in c...
xxx, 78 (Monivea) Ffrench (Monivea) The Monivea estate, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, was acquired by the ffrenchs from the O'Kellys...
xxx, 251 (Moorepark) Moore (Moorepark) In the late 17th century Stephen Moore purchased the Kilworth estate in county Cork. In the 1940s l...
xxx,255 (Mooresfort) Moore (Mooresfort) Charles Moore, a member of the Moore family of Crookedstone, county Antrim, purchased the Mooresfort...
xxx, 33 (Moorehall) Moore (Moore Hall) An estate in the parishes of Ballintober, Ballyovey and Burriscarra in the barony of Carra, county M...
xxx, 251 (Moorehill) Maxwell/Perceval Maxwell The Percevals were related to the Perceval family of Temple House, county Sligo and descend from the...
xxx, 68 (Mote Park) Crofton (Mote Park) The senior branch of the Crofton family settled at Ballymurray, county Roscommon in the 16th century...
xxx, 172 (Mount Baylee) Baylee/Bayley (Mount Baylee) Henry Baylee of Loughgur, county Limerick, was a nephew of Sexten Baylee, Mayor of Limerick in 1758....
xxx, 91 (Mount Browne) Browne (Mount Browne) George Browne held 3 townlands in the parish of Kiltrustan, barony and county of Roscommon at the ti...
xxx, 14 (Mount Campbell) Lawder/Lauder The Lawders were a Scottish family who came to Ireland in the late 16th century marrying into landed...
xxx, 241 (Mount Congreve) Congreve Burke indicates that this family originated in Staffordshire and descend from John Congreve, residen...
xxx, 184 (Mount Desert) Dunscombe (Mount Desert & Kingswilliamstown) A family originally from Devon who settled in county Cork in the mid 17th century. In 1703 William...
xxx, 61 (Mount Druid) O'Conor (Mount Druid) Denis O'Conor was one of the principlal lessors in the parish of Kilcorkey, barony of Castlereagh at...
xxx, 28 (Mount Falcon) Knox (Mount Falcon) An estate in the parish of Ballynahaglish, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, previously belonging to...
xxx, 59 (Mount Pleasant, Murray) Devenish The Devenish family were resident in county Roscommon from the 17th century. By the late 18th cent...
xxx, 33 (Mount Shannon) Olpherts Capt. Richard Olpherts was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Dromard, barony of Tireragh...
xxx, 93 (Mount Talbot) Talbot (Mount Talbot) The Talbots were descended from a younger son of the Talbots of Malahide in the 16th century. They w...
xxx, 262 (Mount Trenchard) Spring-Rice Smith indicates that the Spring family were originally from Lavenham in Suffolk and settled in Kerry...
xxxi, 61 (Moyode), xxxii, 66 (Roxborough) Persse (Roxborough & Moyode) The Persse family first received grants of land in counties Galway and Roscommon in the 1670s. Some...
xxxi, 188 (Moyriesk) Fitzgerald/Foster Vesey Fitzgerald (Moyriesk) This family of Fitzgeralds was originally Fitzgerald Fitzgibbon but the surname Fitzgibbon was dropp...
xxxi, 231 (Muckross Abbey) Herbert (Muckross) The Herberts were granted land in Kerry during the reign of Elizabeth I. Smith indicates that two me...
xxxi, 80 (Murrisk Abbey) Garvey (Murrisk) Under the Acts of Settlement the Garveys were granted lands at Murrisk and Carrowkeel in the parish...
xxxi, 265 (Nadrid) Galgey/Gallagy William Gallagy held two townlands in the parish of Kilmichael, barony of West Muskerry, county Cork...
xxxi, 69 (Neale Park) Browne (Neale) A family established at The Neale, county Mayo, from the 16th century which they were regranted alon...
xxxi, 236 (Newhall) MacDonnell (Newhall) This family was descended from the MacDonnell family of Dunluce, county Antrim. In the late 17th cen...
xxxi, 284 (Newmarket House) Aldworth The Aldworths settled in county Cork in the early 17th century and were established at Newmarket by...
xxxi, 48 (Newpark) Duke The Duke family were granted lands in Sligo in the mid 17th century through the patronage of Richard...
xxxi, 249 (Newtown Anner), xxiii, 124 (Beechwood) Osborne (Newtown Anner & Beechwood) The Osbornes were established in county Waterford from the early 17th century and were granted lands...
xxxi, 78 (Newtown) Kelly (Newtown) A family with county Roscommon origins, members of 18th century generations of the Kellys served in...
xxxi, 249 (Old Dromore) Williamson (Carhookeal) At the time of Griffith's Valuation this family held land in the parishes of Garrycloyne and Grenagh...
xxxi, 62 (Oldhead) Wilbraham At the time of Griffith's Valuation Hugh Wilbraham, who became the brother-in-law of George Browne,...
xxxi, 72 (Oldtown) Bourke (Oldtown) A branch of the Bourkes of Carrowkeel and Curraghleagh, Walter Bourke of Oldtown married Cecilia Cog...
xxxi, 222 (Paradise) Henn (Paradise) The Henns, an English family, were granted lands in county Clare by the Earl of Thomond at the end o...
xxxi, 259 (Pembrokestown House) Power (Middlethird) John Power of Dunhill was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Islandikane, Newcastle and...
xxxi, 263 (Portland Park) Stoney (Co Tipperary) Thomas Stoney from Yorkshire came to Ireland in the late 17th century and settled in county Tipperar...
xxxi, 81 (Portumna) Burke (Clanricarde) The Clanricarde estate was one of the largest in county Galway. Lord Clanrickard, a minor, is liste...
xxxi, 98 (Prospect House) Buchanan (Prospect) The Buchanans, a legal family, had a small estate of church land at Fahburren, in the parish of Ough...
xxxi, 72 (Raford) Daly (Raford) The Daly family of Raford were descended from the Dalys of Carnakelly. The Raford estate was bought...
xxxi, 325 (Raheen) Moreland (Raheen) In 1836 Thomas Brown Brady mortgaged Raheen and in 1852 was forced to sell the estate because of his...
xxxii, 332 (Balllinanty) Smith (Ballynanty) Charles Wilmot Smith was the son of John Wilmot Smith and his wife, Mary Lloyd of Beechmount, county...
xxxii, 15 (Raheen Park) Lopdell A family who came to Ireland in the mid 17th century and purchased land in county Galway. They were...
xxxii, 62 (Rappa) Knox (Rappa) Originally a Crofton estate which passed through a marriage connection to a younger son of the Knoxe...
xxxii. 66 (Rathmore) McDermott (Ramore/Rathmore) James Anthony McDermott of Ramore married Mary Agnes Blake of Cregg Castle in the early 19th century...
xxxii, 29 (Rathmoyle) Irwin (Rathmoyle) Richard, Robert and John Irwin were occupiers and lessors of property in the parish of Baslick, baro...
xxxii, 45 (Raughley Lodge) Jones (Raghly) John Gore Jones is recorded as the owner of over 650 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s. McTernan wr...
xxxii, 231 (The Reeks) McGillycuddy The McGillycuddy of the Reeks is an ancient title from the Gaelic tradition, believed to be descende...
xxxii, 15 (Rinville) Athy The Athy family were one of the original Tribes of Galway. Their estate was mainly centred around th...
xxxii, 325 (Rochemount) Roche (Rochemount) This branch of the Roche family of county Cork was descended from Edmond, second son of Edward Roche...
xxxii, 169 (Rockett's Castle) Medlycott The Burrishoole estate of approximately 70,000 acres was acquired by Thomas Medlycott, Chief Commiss...
xxxii, 296 (Rockforest) Cotter A family, possibly of Danish origin, who were settled in county Cork from at least the 16th century....
xxxii, 221 (Rossdohan) Heard (Cos Cork, Tipperary & Kerry) The Heards were a long established county Cork family stated to have arrived with Sir Walter Raleigh...
xxxii, 180 (Rossmore) Shelton (Rossmore) The Sheltons were in the Castletown area of county Limerick from the early 18th century. In the mid...
xxxii, 33 (Rosturk Castle) Stoney James Butler Stoney and his son, Robert Vesey Stoney, built up a considerable estate in the Burrisho...
xxxii, 148 (Roxborough, Crawford) Vereker (Viscount Gort) Lough Cutra or Lough Cooter was originally O'Shaughnessy land which was granted to Thomas Prendergas...
xxxii, 78 (Ryehill) Roche (Ryehill) In the late 18th century the Ryehill estate in the parish of Monivea, barony of Tiaquin, county Galw...
XXXII, 280 (St. Davids) Holmes (Nenagh) By the early 18th century the Holmes family were settled in counties Offaly and Tipperary. Daniel Gr...
xxxii, 133 (Shanbally) Smithwick Peter Smithwick of Mount Catherine, county Limerick, married an Apjohn of nearby Linfield and died i...
xxxii, 309 (Shanbally) O'Callaghan Cornelius O'Callaghan, a lawyer in the early 18th century, married Marie Jolley. Their grandson, al...
xxxii, 225 (Sillahertane) Lowe (Kilshane) In 1783 Simon Lowe of Cork and Galbally, county Limerick, married as his second wife, Elizabeth, dau...
xxxiii, 71 (Skycur) Callanan (Co Galway) The Callanans are recorded as residing at Skecoor from at least the early 19th century. Matilda Call...
xxxiii, 228 (South Park) Balfe The Balfe family were settled at Heathfield in county Roscommon in the 18th century but had moved to...
xxxiii, 228 (Springfield Castle) Deane Matthew Deane came to Ireland in the mid 17th century and purchased lands in county Cork. He was ma...
xxxiii, 151 (Srugrena House) McCarthy (Glanarough & Iveragh) Timothy McCarthy, MD. was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilgarvan at the time of Gri...
xxxiii, 219 (Strancally) Lloyd (Strancally Castle) George Whitlocke of Berkshire married Mary daughter of David Roche of Carass, county Limerick, and e...
xxxiii, 13 (Streamstown) Irwin (Streamstown) Various members of the Irwin family are recorded as the owners of land in county Sligo in the 1870s....
xxxiii, 90 (Strokestown) Mahon/Pakenham-Mahon In February 1666 Captain Nicholas Mahon was granted over 2,700 acres in the barony of Roscommon and...
xxxiii, 300 (Suir Castle) Massy (Suir Castle) Francis Hugh Massy of Suir Castle, county Tipperary, (born 1755) was the fourth son of the the 1st B...
xxxiii, 196 (Summerville House) Fortescue Local sources suggest that the Fortescue interest in Waterford began with Edmund Fortescue of London...
xxxiii, 288 (Sunville) Lowe (Sunvale/Sunville) In the late 18th century the Lowe family had connections with counties Limerick, Cork and Tipperary....
xxxiii, 44 (Tanregoe) Verschoyle The Irwin estate at Tanrego was purchased by Verschoyle in the 1860s. According to the OS name books...
xxxiii, 313 (Tarbert) Leslie (Tarbert) The Leslies, descended from the Scottish clan, held lands in North Kerry since the seventeenth centu...
xxxiii, 72 (Temple House) Perceval The Perceval family succeeded to lands in Sligo in the mid 17th when George Perceval married Mary Cr...
xxxiii, 227 (Tervoe) Monsell (Limerick) Originally from England, this family sold their estates in Somerset and purchased estates in county...
xxxiii, 45 (Thomastown Park) Naghten (Thomastown) The Naghtens or O'Naghtens were one of the old Gaelic families who managed to retain some of their f...
xxxiii, 287 (Tinerana) Purdon (Tinerana) The Purdons were active in the affairs of Limerick city but lived in the parish of Ogonnelloe, baron...
xxxiii, 94 (Towerhill) Blake (Towerhill & Bunowen) The Blakes of Menlo Castle, county Galway, held the lands of Clonyne and Clooneen or Towerhill, pari...
xxxiii, 332 (Tullamain Castle) Harding (Tullamaine) By the 1870s, Henry Maynard Harding, a lieutenant in the 7th Foot, had either bought or was leasing...
xxxiii, 14 (Tullira) Martyn (Tulira) In 1824 Edward Martyn is listed as a resident proprietor in county Galway. John Martyn was the owner...
xxxiii, 97 (Turlough Park) FitzGerald (Turlough) This family from Gorteens in county Kilkenny was transplanted to county Mayo under the Cromwellian s...
xxxiii, 72 (Turoe) Dolphin At the time of Griffith's Valuation Oliver Dolphin held land in the parish of Killoscobe, barony of...
xxxiii, 264 (Warren's Court) Warren (Warren's Court) Robert Warren, an army officer, established himself in the East Carberry area of county Cork in the...
xxxiii, 347 (Waterville) Butler (Waterville) The Waterville branch of the Butler family descended from Whitwell Butler who married into the Yield...
xxxiv, 80 (Westport House) Browne (Westport) A very large estate in county Mayo, much of it formerly Bourke property, was acquired by Colonel Joh...
xxxiv, 64 (Woodberry) Davy Thomas Davy is listed as the holder of over 350 acres in county Galway in the 1870s.
xxxiv, 96 (Woodbrook) Kirkwood (Boyle) The Kirkwood family were landowners in the barony of Boyle during the nineteenth century. Andrew and...
xxxiv, 312 (Woodhouse) Beresford (Woodhouse) In the 1870s Robert H. Beresford was the owner of over 2000 acres in county Waterford. Almost 200 ac...
xxxiv, 242 (Woodstock) Hely Thomas Hely was among the principal lessors in the parish of Modelligo, barony of Decies-without-Dru...
xxxiv, 227 (Woodstown House) Carew (Castleboro & Woodstown) The Carews were established as landowners in counties Wexford and Waterford since the seventeenth ce...
xxxiv, 58 (Woodpark) Hibbert The Reade estate at Woodpark, parish of Inishcaltra, passed to the Hibbert family through the marria...
xxxiv, 63 (Woodlawn) Barrett (Greenhills & Ballintava) At the time of Griffith's Valuation, John Samuel Barrett was leasing the Greenhills estate in the pa...
xxi, 249 (Anner Castle), xxii, 249 (Ballydine) Mandeville The Mandevilles were established at Ballydine Castle, parish of Kilmurry, south county Tipperary fro...
xxi, 125 (Ardfinnan Castle) Prendergast (Co Tipperary) This family was originally established at Newcastle, county Tipperary, but they were dispossessed of...
xxi, 125 (Ardoginna) McKenna Sir Joseph Neale McKenna was an Irish banker and politican. He was born in Dublin in 1819, the son...
xxi, 253 (Ashley Park) Atkinson (Ashley Park) The Atkinsons of Ashley Park and South Park, county Tipperary, were a junior branch of the Atkinsons...
xxi, 171 (Ballinard Castle) Lindsay (Ballinard) In 1906 Paul Maylor Lindsay held untenanted land at Ballinard, Garrankyle and Tinnekilly, county Tip...
xxii, 290 (Ballingan [sic]) Paul Sir Robert Paul was the proprietor of over 800 acres in the parish of Listowel, county Kerry in the...
xxii, 26 (Ballycastle House [Mullins]) Knox Gore James Knox of Broadlands Park (1774-1818) was the third son of Francis Knox of Rappa Castle. Both h...
xxii, 315 (Ballyknockane) Butler The 1st Duke of Ormonde was one of the largest estate owners in Ireland at the beginning of the 18th...
xxii, 171 (Ballynacourty) Dawson/Massy-Dawson (Ballynacourte) In 1666 John Dawson was granted an estate of over 2,900 acres in county Tipperary including the cast...
xxii, 316 (Ballynatray) Smyth (Ballynatray) The Smyths were settled in county Waterford from Elizabethan times. In the 17th century Richard Smy...
xxii, 235 (Ballynonty) Going (Ballyphilip, Co Tipperary) This family was a junior branch of the Going family of Traverston, Nenagh, county Tipperary. In 181...
xxii, 171 (Ballywire) Massy (Ballywire) John Bolton Massy (1785-1871) was the son of Robert Compton Bolton of Brazille Castle, Swords, count...
xxii, 174 (Barne) Moore (Barne) A family who were established in the Clonmel area of county Tipperary from the early 17th century....
xxii, 301 (Baron court) Marshall (Baronne Court) In the mid 19th century the Reverend Joseph Marshall held at least 9 townlands in the parish of Loug...
xxiii, 262 (Belle Isle) Yelverton From the late 1780s the Yelvertons held an estate in the parish of Ballintober, barony of Carra, cou...
xxiii, 133 (Besborough) Young (Shallee) From the mid 18th century the Youngs were resident in the Shallee locality, parish of Killoscully, b...
xxiii, 180 (Birchgrove) Birch (Roscrea) Members of the Birch family were prominent distillers and brewers at Roscrea, county Tipperary in th...
xxiii, 319 (Brittas Castle) Knox /Blake Knox (Moyne Abbey) The senior branch of the Knox family in county Mayo who were descended from William Knox of Castlere...
xxiii, 218 (Butlerstown Castle, [Prendergast]) Sherlock (Waterford) Paul Sherlock was granted large estates in the baronies of Middlethird and Gaultiere, county Waterfo...
xxiii, 150 (Caher Abbey) Grubb (Co Tipperary) A family originally from Northamptonshire, John Grubb came to county Waterford in the mid 17th centu...
xxiii, 150 (Cahir Lodge) Charteris (Caher) Lady Margaret Charteris was the eldest daughter of Richard Butler, 2nd and last Earl of Glengall. S...
xxiv, 129 (Castle Fogarty) Lenigan (Castle Fogarty) In 1788 James Fogerty of Castle Fogarty, near Thurles, county Tipperary, died childless and his sist...
xxiv, 243 (Castle Fray [Gray[) Goold/Verschoyle Goold The Goold estate was mainly in the parishes of Rathronan (10 townlands) and Ardagh, barony of Shanid...
xxiv, 316 (Castle Otway) Otway By a patent dated 10 October 1685, John Otway was granted Castle Otway, county Tipperary. His desc...
xxiv, 133 (Castle Willington) Willington (Castle Willington) Jonathan Willington, the third son of James and Mary Willington of Killoskehane Castle, county Tippe...
xxxiii, 32 (Breaffy) Browne (Breaghwy) A junior branch of the Brownes of the Neale, county Mayo, was located in the parish of Breaghwy in t...
xxv, 224 (Clonodfoy Castle) Trench (Woodlawn) The Trench family at Woodlawn were one of a number of Trench families who came to prominence in coun...
xxv, 69 (Cloonteen) Russell (Slane) Thomas Russell, of Slane or Nobber, county Meath, is recorded as owning almost 700 acres in county G...
xxv,178 (Corbally) Stacpoole (Cragbrien) The Reverend William Stacpoole of Cragbrien, parish of Clondagad, barony of Islands, county Clare, w...
xxv, 180 (Cordangan) Townsend (Firmount) Samuel Philip Townsend of Firmount, county Cork was the fifth son of the Reverend Horatio Townsend,...
xxvi, 46 (Dunamon Castle) Caulfeild (Dunamon) The Dunamon estate was held under a lease for 500 years from John King, Lord Kingston to Thomas Caul...
xxvi, 191 (Dundrum) Maude Robert Maude [of Yorkshire] was granted over 10,000 acres in counties Tipperary, Cork and Meath in 1...
xxvi, 47 (Dunmore House) Martin (Bushy Park) Robert Martin held an estate in the parishes of Kilcummin and Kilannin, barony of Moycullen, county...
xxvi, 73 (Dunsandle) Daly (Dunsandle & Carnakelly) The Daly family of Dunsandle derived from Daly of Carnakelly in the parish of Kiltullagh. They bough...
xxvi, 197 (Dysart Lodge) Synge (Dysert) The Synges held lands in the parish of Dysert, county Clare, from the mid 18th century when Nicholas...
xxvi, 133 (Edenburn) Hussey (Corkaguiny) Members of the Hussey family held property in several parishes in the parish of Corkaguiny at the ti...
xxvi, 197 (Ennismore) Hewson (Clanmaurice & Iraghticonnor) In the 1870s the estate of George Hewson, of Ennismore, Listowel, amounted to over 400 acres in coun...
xxvi, 93 (Errit Lodge) French (Errit Lodge) In the mid 19th century the Right Honourable Fitzstephen French of Erritt Lodge, Member of Parliamen...
xxvi, 44 (Eyrecourt Castle), xxvi, 71 (Eyreville) Eyre (Eyrecourt & Eyreville) Giles Eyre, Eyrecourt Castle and Thomas Knutford Eyre, Eyreville, are described as resident propriet...
xxvi, 217(Faha Court) Bernard/Morrogh-Bernard According to Burke, Edward Murrough married Martha Bernard of the county Kerry family and their son...
xxvi, 74 (Fairy Hill) Chevers (Killian/Killyan) The Chevers/Cheevers family originally owned estates in counties Wexford and Meath. Following their...
xxvi, 62 (Falduff Lodge) O'Dowd (Tully) In 1881 Patrick O'Dowd bought the lands of Fallduff, parish of Kilgeever, barony of Murrisk, county...
xxvii, 221 (Clashnacree, Fuller) Bland (Derryquin) The Blands were originally a Yorkshire family who settled in Kerry in the early 18th century. Franci...
xxvii, 221 (Clashnacree) Fuller Thomas Fuller of Bandon was the owner of over 500 acres in county Cork in the 1870s with other membe...
xxvii, 255 (Glenatore) Gumbleton The Gumbletons of counties Cork and Waterford are descended from the Gomeledon family of Kent. Richa...
xxviii, 251 (Hilton) Grant (Hilton) In the 1870s G. Fox Grant of Ballylanigan, Callan, county Tipperary owned 292 acres in the county....