In the mid 19th century the Reverend Joseph Marshall held at least 9 townlands in the parish of Loughkeen, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary. He was the eldest son of the Reverend Cornelius Marshall, a cousin of the Marshalls of Glenkeen, county Tyrone. In the 1870s Sophia Marshall of Baronne Court, Parsonstown [Birr], widow of the Reverend Joseph, owned 2,543 acres in county Tipperary, 1,079 acres in King's County (Offaly), 195 acres in county Armagh and 96 acres in county Tyrone.
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Barony of Lower Ormond, 106 (Stonestown)
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 307
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 166
- SLATER, Isaac. ''Royal National Directory of Ireland: List of the principal seats''. (Manchester: 1894) : xxii, 301 (Baron court)