Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Conyers

The Conyers family were established at Castletown Conyers in county Limerick by the early 18th century. In the mid 19th century the Conyers estate was mainly in the parish of Kilcolman, barony of Shanid but also in the parish of Corcomohide, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick. Lewis writes that the parish of Castletown Conyers was granted to Captain George Conyers by William III. In the 1870s Conyers family members still held a considerable acreage in this locality, Charles Conyers of Castletownconyers owned 2,425 acres, Grady F. Conyers of Liskennet owned 1,023 acres and Edward Conyers of Liskennet owned 95 acres.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Liskennet Liskennet East Ballingarry Croom Coolrus 12 Connello Upper Limerick OSI Ref: R487 359
OS Sheet: 38
Discovery map: 65
Rossmore Rossmore Corcomohide Croom Castletown 11 Connello Upper Limerick OSI Ref: R433 294
OS Sheet: 46
Discovery map: 73
Castletown Conyers Castletown Corcomohide Croom Castletown 11 Connello Upper Limerick OSI Ref: R443 299
OS Sheet: 38
Discovery map: 73
Ballyteige Ballyteige Upper Bruree Kilmallock Rockhill 28 Connello Upper Limerick OSI Ref: R511 302
OS Sheet: 38
Discovery map: 65

Archival sources

  • Accounts & copy legal papers re Major E.C. Conyers Trust 1891-1906. MS 25,526; National Library of Ireland
  • Collection of deeds, leases, correspondence, valuations, Land Commission & other papers re the Ballyteige estate & the family of Charles Langley Tuthill, including including a rental 1879-1893 & lease of Ballyteige House to David G. Conyers, 25 Mar 1885, 1850s-1910s. LLM2002.0482.001-333 ; Limerick City Museum

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources