An Aylward property from the 17th century, which passed by a marriage in 1824 to a branch of the Lewis family of county Cork. The representatives of John M.A. Lewis were recorded as the owners of over 6000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. The address is given as Ballynagar, Loughrea. In 1906 the representatives of John M.A. Lewis owned over 500 acres of untenanted demesne land and a mansion house valued at £16 at Ballynagar. In 1915 over 500 acres of the Lewis estate was vested in the Congested Districts Board.
- Ballynagar. Photographs. 024/067.; Irish Architectural Archive
- Printed pamphlet entitled "The Plan of Campaign Illustrated: An account of the Lewis and O'Grady estates'', 1889. LM2009.1204; Limerick City Museum
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 271.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 297.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 322.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 43.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 148.
- SLATER, Isaac. ''Royal National Directory of Ireland: List of the principal seats''. (Manchester: 1894) : xxi, 28
Modern printed sources
- NATIONAL LIBRARY OF IRELAND. Special Lists.: Listing of Aylward Lewis papers in Oxfordshire by Julian Walton. No. 194
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1904: 336-338
- ''The Irish Genealogist'': WALTON, Julian. The Family of Aylward, Part IV. The Aylwards of Ballynagar (c. 1650-1973). IV (1973), 584-597