Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lewis (Galway)

An Aylward property from the 17th century, which passed by a marriage in 1824 to a branch of the Lewis family of county Cork. The representatives of John M.A. Lewis were recorded as the owners of over 6000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. The address is given as Ballynagar, Loughrea. In 1906 the representatives of John M.A. Lewis owned over 500 acres of untenanted demesne land and a mansion house valued at £16 at Ballynagar. In 1915 over 500 acres of the Lewis estate was vested in the Congested Districts Board.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ballynagar/Ballinagar Ballynagar Ballynakill Loughrea Ballynagar 135 Leitrim Galway OSI Ref: M715041
OS Sheet: 125
Discovery map: 52

Archival sources

  • Ballynagar. Photographs. 024/067.; Irish Architectural Archive
  • Printed pamphlet entitled "The Plan of Campaign Illustrated: An account of the Lewis and O'Grady estates'', 1889. LM2009.1204; Limerick City Museum

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources