Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Woodley

This family settled in the parish of Aghabulloge, county Cork, in the mid 17th century. Anthony Woodley was granted over 160 acres in the barony of East Carbery by patent dated 1670 and the Woodley estate was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Ballymoney and Desertserges, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The main part of Francis George Woodley's estate was centred in the parishes of Aghabulloge and Aghinagh, barony of East Muskerry. He seems to have held his estate in conjunction with Winthorp Sealy. Richard Woodley, probably an uncle of F.G. Woodley, was engaged in the legal profession and held townlands in the parishes of Kilmonoge, barony of Kinalea and Liscleary, barony of Kerrycurrihy, at the same time. Francis Woodley, of Leeds House, Macroom, owned over 3800 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Other family members owned smaller acreages in the county.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Shanagraigue Shanagraigue Liscleary Kinsale Liscleary 201 Kerrycurrihy Cork OSI Ref: W690621
OS Sheet: 86, 98
Discovery map: 87
Leades House Deelish Aghabulloge Macroom Kilberrihert 225 East Muskerry Cork OSI Ref: W393 762
OS Sheet: 60
Discovery map: 79
Nadrid Nadrid Magourney Macroom Magourney 217 East Muskerry Cork OSI Ref: W458 718
OS Sheet: 72
Discovery map: 80
Frankfort Frankfort Mogeely Fermoy Curraglass 135 Kinnatalloon Cork OSI Ref: W963 931
OS Sheet: 46
Discovery map: 81

Archival sources

  • Report concerning Francis Woodley's estate, 1820, in possession of John Francis Connolly, Quarry, Leades, Aghinagh, Co Cork in 1975, see James S. Donnelly's book; Private Possession

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources