In 1824 Walter Lambert, Creggaclare, Walter Lambert, Castle Lambert, Walter Lambert, Lambert Lodge, Walter Lambert, Castle Ellen and Henry Lambert, Aggard, are all described as resident proprietors in county Galway. The Lamberts had two townlands, Crumlin and Boleyboy, in the parish of Kilvine, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo, amounting to 989 acres. John Lambert held several townlands in the parish of Kilbeacanty, barony of Kiltartan, and in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway in the 1850s. The estate at Aggard had originally been a Ffrench property but was bought out by the Lamberts in 1729. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, James Lambert was leasing the house at Cregaclare to Lord Clanmorris. Both the Cregaclare and Aggard families held lands in the parish of Ardrahan. The Kilquain Lambert family usually acted as the agents for the Ardrahan estate. The estate of James Staunton Lambert amounting to 10,724 acres in the baronies of Dunkellin, Kilconnell, Clare and Moycullen county Galway and in the barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo was advertised for sale in 1855 and the sales rental includes lithographs of Cregaclare and Waterdale houses. A large portion of these estates was purchased by Lord Clanmorris. In the 1830s a Mr. Lambert "of Ballinrobe" may have had as his agent, James Burke of St. Cleran's. This branch of the Lambert family is documented in the collection of S. & R.C. Walker, solicitors, in the National Archives. Kelly noted that the last Lambert to live in the area resided at Kilquain but left for Dublin around 1930.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Cregaclare||Cregaclare Demesne||Ardrahan||Gort||Ardrahan 89||Dunkellin||Galway||
OSI Ref: M472124
OS Sheet: 114
Discovery map: 52
OSI Ref: M501186
OS Sheet: 96, 104
Discovery map: 52
|Lambert Lodge (Kilquain)||Kilquain||Killora||Loughrea||Craughwell 112||Dunkellin||Galway||
OSI Ref: M514173
OS Sheet: 104
Discovery map: 52
OSI Ref: M370 356
OS Sheet: 70
Discovery map: 46
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Lambert, 22 Nov 1855, Vol 37, MRGS 39/017, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Solicitors' records from office of S. and R.C. Walker, includes deeds re Lamberts of Cregclare and Streamstown, Co Galway. Small Accessions Index, No. 30; National Archives of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates Court Rental, Lambert, 22 Nov 1855, baronies of Dunkellin, Kilconnell, Clare & Moycullen & Clanmorris. M24,246; Galway County Library
- Waterdale House photos. 022/095; Irish Architectural Archive
- Land transactions between the Kirwans of Blindwell & the Lamberts of Cregaclare, 1790 & 1820. Small Accs. Index 74, D.11250 & D.11259; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 297.
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Gort Union, 97 (Cregaclare).
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Loughrea Union, 45 (Aggardmore), 50 (Kilquain).
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 3 & 139.
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol I, 56. Vol II, 152.
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 257.
- TAYLOR, George & SKINNER, Andrew. ''Maps of the Roads of Ireland, surveyed in 1777 and corrected down to 1783''. Facsimile of 2nd edition. Shannon: Irish University Press, 1969: 201.
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Galway, http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/default.html: Aggard House
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Galway, http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/default.html: Ardrahan Parish, also Kilquain
- DUTTON, Hely. ''Statistical and agricultural survey of the county of Galway''. Dublin: Royal Dublin Society, 1824. : 414.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 149.
- SLATER, Isaac. ''Royal National Directory of Ireland: List of the principal seats''. (Manchester: 1894) : xxi, 66
- WILSON, William. ''The Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers Directory Through Ireland''. The author: Dublin, 1786 : 140 (Aggard)
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1912: 379-380.
- ''The Irish Genealogist'': MELVIN, Patrick. The composition of the Galway gentry. (1986), 91.
- BENCE-JONES, Mark. ''A Guide to Irish Country Houses''. Revised ed. London: Constable, 1988. : 2 (Aggard), 175 (Kilquaine).
- SPELLISSY, Séan. ''The History of Galway''. Limerick: Celtic Bookshop, 1999. : 287.
- LYONS, Mary C. ''Illustrated Incumbered Estates, Ireland, 1850-1905.'' Whitegate, county Clare: Ballinakella Press, 1993. : 157-158.
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Family History Society : Galway Roots'': Big Houses of Co Galway, photograph of Cregclare. I (1993), 40
- ''The Blazer'': Anon. Aggard House. VI (1977), 60-61.
- ''The Blazer'': Kelly, Sean. Topography of Craughwell. No.1, Spring 1975
- DEAN, J.A.K. ''The gate lodges of Connaught: a gazetteer.'' Dublin ; Wordwell, 2019. : p.17 (Aggard)