Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Mitchell


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lambert (Cregclare) In 1824 Walter Lambert, Creggaclare, Walter Lambert, Castle Lambert, Walter Lambert, Lambert Lodge, Walter Lambert, Castle Ellen and Henry Lambert, Aggard, are all described as resident proprietors in county Galway. The Lamberts had two townlands, Crumlin and Boleyboy, in the parish of Kilvine, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo, amounting to 989 acres. John Lambert held several townlands in the parish of Kilbeacanty, barony of Kiltartan, and in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway in the 1850s. The estate at Aggard had originally been a Ffrench property but was bought out by the Lamberts in 1729. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, James Lambert was leasing the house at Cregaclare to Lord Clanmorris. Both the Cregaclare and Aggard families held lands in the parish of Ardrahan. The Kilquain Lambert family usually acted as the agents for the Ardrahan estate. The estate of James Staunton Lambert amounting to 10,724 acres in the baronies of Dunkellin, Kilconnell, Clare and Moycullen county Galway and in the barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo was advertised for sale in 1855 and the sales rental includes lithographs of Cregaclare and Waterdale houses. A large portion of these estates was purchased by Lord Clanmorris. In the 1830s a Mr. Lambert "of Ballinrobe" may have had as his agent, James Burke of St. Cleran's. This branch of the Lambert family is documented in the collection of S. & R.C. Walker, solicitors, in the National Archives. Kelly noted that the last Lambert to live in the area resided at Kilquain but left for Dublin around 1930.
Kilkelly (Summerville) An estate, centred on the house originally known as Thomastown and later as Summerville, was in the possession of Daniel Moore Kilkelly in the 19th century. When advertised for sale by D.M. Kilkelly’s widow in the mid 1850s the estate consisted of 1,418 acres in the parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. A small portion of the estate including Summerville was advertised for sale again in 1864 by Maria E. Kilkelly and Anthony O’Kelly.
Mitchell In November 1885 Edmund Mitchell was selling land at Cahernahoon, parish of Lackagh, barony of Clare, formerly belonging to the Lamberts and at Moyloughbeg, parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, formerly belonging to the Kilkellys. Mitchell had purchased Moyloughbeg in 1873 through the Landed Estates' Court.