The Lamberts of counties Galway and Mayo all appear to descend from a John Lambert of Yorkshire who settled at Creg Clare, which he leased from the Earl of Clanricarde, in the late 1660s.
|Bingham (Newbrook)||This estate was founded by John Bingham of Foxford, county Mayo, younger brother of Sir Henry Bingham, ancestor of the Earls of Lucan, in the mid 17th century. The county Mayo part of the estate was concentrated in the parishes of Mayo, barony of Clanmorris; Robeen, Kilcommon and Mayo, barony of Kilmaine; Rosslee and Touaghty, barony of Gallen and Ballynahaglish, barony of Tirawley. The Lords Clanmorris also held lands in the parishes of Claregalway and Lackagh, barony of Clare, county Galway. The Clanmorris estates included the town of Foxford and in 1876 amounted to 12,337 acres in county Mayo and 5,295 acres in county Galway plus 479 acres in the town of Galway. Guinness and Company were the agents for the county Mayo estates in the 1830s. In 1906 Lord Clanmorris was the owner of over 300 acres of untenanted demesne land at Cregaclare. A final offer from the Congested Districts' Board of £16,121 had been accepted for 3053 acres of the Clanmorris estate in county Mayo by March 1916.|
|Lambert (Cregclare)||In 1824 Walter Lambert, Creggaclare, Walter Lambert, Castle Lambert, Walter Lambert, Lambert Lodge, Walter Lambert, Castle Ellen and Henry Lambert, Aggard, are all described as resident proprietors in county Galway. The Lamberts had two townlands, Crumlin and Boleyboy, in the parish of Kilvine, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo, amounting to 989 acres. John Lambert held several townlands in the parish of Kilbeacanty, barony of Kiltartan, and in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway in the 1850s. The estate at Aggard had originally been a Ffrench property but was bought out by the Lamberts in 1729. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, James Lambert was leasing the house at Cregaclare to Lord Clanmorris. Both the Cregaclare and Aggard families held lands in the parish of Ardrahan. The Kilquain Lambert family usually acted as the agents for the Ardrahan estate. The estate of James Staunton Lambert amounting to 10,724 acres in the baronies of Dunkellin, Kilconnell, Clare and Moycullen county Galway and in the barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo was advertised for sale in 1855 and the sales rental includes lithographs of Cregaclare and Waterdale houses. A large portion of these estates was purchased by Lord Clanmorris. In the 1830s a Mr. Lambert "of Ballinrobe" may have had as his agent, James Burke of St. Cleran's. This branch of the Lambert family is documented in the collection of S. & R.C. Walker, solicitors, in the National Archives. Kelly noted that the last Lambert to live in the area resided at Kilquain but left for Dublin around 1930.|
|Lambert (Castle Ellen)||The Lambert family came originally from Yorkshire but were settled in county Galway since the reign of Elizabeth I. The Castle Ellen family are descended from the Cregaclare Lamberts, one of whom, Charles, was killed at the siege of Derry. Charles' great-grandson, Walter Peter, is described as "of Castle Ellen" in the later 18th century. Walter Lambert of Castle Ellen owned over 3000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1906 the representatives of Peter F. Lambert held over 370 acres of untenanted demesne lands as well as the house at Castle Ellen.|
|Lambert (Castle Lambert)||During the 19th century the Lamberts, a junior branch of the Lamberts of Creg Clare, county Galway, had an estate of over 5,000 acres, mainly in the parish of Athenry, barony of Clare, county Galway. In 1756 they bought their estate, originally known as the Aghrim or Moor estate, from the Blakes of Corbally in settlement of a debt. The Lamberts built a new residence and renamed the property Castle Lambert. The estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates’ Court in 1855 and included lands in the baronies of Clare, Leitrim and Athenry. The Trousdells of Kilrush, county Clare, bought an interest in the estate at this time. Thomas Lambert had married Sarah Trousdell in 1850. Almost 40 years later the estate was again sold, in June 1892, having been proposed for sale as far back as March 1887, when the owner was Giles Eyre Lambert. Frank Shawe Taylor of Castle Taylor bought over 1,200 acres with the two houses, Castle Lambert and Moor Park. In the 1870s Captain Thomas Lambert had owned 2621 acres in county Galway and 989 acres in county Mayo. This branch of the Lambert family is well documented in the collection of S. & R.C. Walker, solicitors, in the National Archives.|
|Mitchell||In November 1885 Edmund Mitchell was selling land at Cahernahoon, parish of Lackagh, barony of Clare, formerly belonging to the Lamberts and at Moyloughbeg, parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, formerly belonging to the Kilkellys. Mitchell had purchased Moyloughbeg in 1873 through the Landed Estates' Court.|