Landed Estates
NUI Galway
Reference Source

ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Galway, http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/default.html

Source Details

Category Contemporary printed sources

Estate Records Citing this Source

Found 104 estate records citing this source.

Reference Estate Name Estate Description
Dangan Lower Redington (Dangan) The Redingtons held land in the Dangan locality from at least the 1830s. At the time of Griffith's...
Oranhill (Dangan) Martin (Ballynahinch) A branch of the Anglo Norman family of Martin, one of the Tribes of Galway, was granted the O'Flaher...
Roo Sellers Roo House, parish of Duras, barony of Kiltartan, is described as the residence of Mr. Sellers in the...
Hollypark Blake (Hollypark) In 1824 Pierce Blake of Hollypark is described as a resident proprietor in county Galway. Peter Blak...
Aggard House Lambert (Cregclare) In 1824 Walter Lambert, Creggaclare, Walter Lambert, Castle Lambert, Walter Lambert, Lambert Lodge,...
Ardrahan Parish, also Kilquain Lambert (Cregclare) In 1824 Walter Lambert, Creggaclare, Walter Lambert, Castle Lambert, Walter Lambert, Lambert Lodge,...
Golden Park Clarke (Graig Abbey) The Clarke family were leasing the Graig Abbey property from the Warburton estate at the time of Gri...
Balrobuck Skerrett (Ballinduff) The Skerretts owned an estate in the barony of Clare, county Galway, which was confiscated at the ti...
Caherhugh Redington (Mirehill) In the late 18th century Nicholas Redington, eldest son of Thomas Redington of Creganna, was living...
Lisheenanoran Rochfort The Rochfort family were established at Clogrenan, parish of Cloydagh, county Carlow, from the early...
Tonagarraun Butler (Winterfield House) The Butlers had an estate of about 1200 acres in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county G...
Lydican Gunning (Kilroe) John J. Gunning, tanner of Galway, bought land in the parish of Kilcoona, barony of Clare, county Ga...
Waterdale, Claregalway Parish. Blake (Waterdale & Vermount) In the early 19th century a junior branch of the Blakes of Kiltullagh, parish of Oranmore, barony of...
Ballynalacka Graydon (Cos Galway & Mayo) At the time of the first Ordnance Survey, Lecarrow, containing 515 acres, in the parish of Annagh, b...
Clydagh Staunton/Lynch Staunton The Stauntons, originally from Buckinghamshire, England, settled in county Galway in the mid 17th ce...
Castle Hacket Kirwan (Castlehacket) In the 16th century the Castlehacket and Cahermorris estates near Tuam in county Galway belonged to...
Cave Nesbitt In the late 18th century the Nesbitt family resided at Tubberdaly, Edenderry, county Offaly. They a...
Golden Park & Killower Cromie At the time of Griffith's Valuation Reverend William Cromie, nephew of the 2nd Baron Kilmaine, occup...
Clerhaun Browne (Claran) There is a memorial to Nicholas Browne of Claran who died in 1714, his wife Cisly and their posterit...
Cloonkeely Carter (Annaghkeen) The South Mayo Family Research Society have recorded late 17th century gravestone memorials to membe...
Inchiquin O'Flaherty (Lisdonagh) For fifty years in the middle of the 19th century a branch of the O'Flaherty family leased an estate...
Ower Burke (Ower) The Burkes of Ower were descended from a younger son of the Burkes of Clanricarde in the 15th centur...
Ardrahan and Beagh parishes Butler (Cregg) The Butlers acquired lands at Cregg through marriage with the O'Shaughnessys. Francis Butler is reco...
Annagh Bodkin (Annagh) The Bodkins, one of the ‘Tribes’ of Galway, were granted Annagh and other lands in the barony of Cla...
Ballyglooneen Blake (Ballyglunin) In ''Blake Family Records'' Martin J. Blake states that Martin Blake of Cummer, county Galway, purch...
Tawnaghmore Blake (Corofin) Pierce Joseph Blake, third son of James Blake of Cregg Castle and his wife, Jane Joyce of Mervue, h...
Inchiquin Lynch (Ballycurrin) An estate in the parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, in the possession of the Lynch f...
Fort Browne Browne (Fort Browne) Fort Browne, parish of Clonbern, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, originally known as Cappanagoine...
Gortdrishagh McDermott (Springfield) According to William Keaveney this estate in the parish of Templetogher, barony of Ballymoe, county...
Cloondoyle More Kelly (Boyounagh) A branch of the Kelly family held an estate in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, county G...
Riversdale Kelly (Riversdale) Riversdale was occupied by John Kelly in the mid 1830s and by James Kelly in the mid 1850s. The Or...
Kentstown Davies (Kentstown) John Davis of Clonfinage or Kentstown, county Galway, who married Ellinor, only child of Andrew Kent...
Killian Chevers (Killian/Killyan) The Chevers/Cheevers family originally owned estates in counties Wexford and Meath. Following their...
Rookwood House Kelly (Rookwood) This family is well recorded in Vera Hughes' book. Crofton Kelly and his wife Elizabeth Threwles we...
Curraghboy ffrench (Ballinamore) The Honourable Martin ffrench was a younger brother of Sir Thomas ffrench, 3rd Baron. Martin ffrenc...
Leitrim Parish O'Farrell/Farrell (Dalystown Demesne) In the 1830s Dalystown House is described as the home of Dr. O'Ferrall. At the time of Griffith's Va...
Queensfort Leonard John Leonard of the Waterford family of that name, was granted over 600 acres in the barony of Kilco...
Ardrahan Parish Hunt (Co Galway) The Hunt estate was centred on the house at Ballymantan, near Gort, in the mid-19th century. Edmund...
Ardrahan Parish Burke (Ballydugan) Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland indicates that Michael Burke of Ballintober, county Roscommon purch...
Ardrahan Parish Burke (Kiltartan) John Burke, of Normangrove, near Kinvara, is recorded as offering lands for lease in that area in t...
Ardrahan Parish Shawe-Taylor Walter Taylor was granted almost a thousand acres in the barony of Kiltartan, county Galway in Febru...
Ardrahan Parish Nolan (Ardrahan) The OS Name Books record John Nolan, of Prospect, Gort, as a proprietor in the parish of Ardrahan i...
Ardrahan Parish Lahiff The Lahiff family held property in various parishes in the barony of Kiltartan. They occupied a hous...
Ardrahan Parish Blakeney (Abbert) Robert Blakeney, a member of a family of Elizabethan settlers, was granted lands at Castle Blakeney,...
Ardrahan Parish Egan (Kiltartan) The OS Name Books record Mrs. Egan of Gort as a proprietor in the parish of Ardrahan in the 1830s.
Ardrahan Parish Mahon (Northampton) The Northampton estate was owned by the Mahon family who built Northampton House. Portions of the es...
Ardrahan Parish Alexander The OS Names Books record Arthur Alexander as the proprietor of lands in the parish of Ardrahan in t...
Ardrahan Parish Butson The Ordnance Survey Name Books record the Butson estate as the proprietor of church lands in the par...
Ardrahan Parish O'Hara (Raheen) It was to the Raheen area that some of the Kilkelly family moved when they were deprived of lands a...
Ardrahan Parish Burke (St. Cleran's) John Hardiman Burke was in possession of the St.Cleran's estate in the 1850s. He had succeeded his f...
Ardrahan Parish Rathbourne Richard Rathbourne/Rathborne was the lessor of several townlands in the parishes of Ardrahan and Kil...
Ardrahan Parish O'Shaughnessy (Gort) Lands in the parish of Beagh had been in the possession of the O'Shaughnessy family for a considerab...
Ardrahan Parish Martyn (Tulira) In 1824 Edward Martyn is listed as a resident proprietor in county Galway. John Martyn was the owner...
Claregalway and Grange Parishes Blake (Towerhill & Bunowen) The Blakes of Menlo Castle, county Galway, held the lands of Clonyne and Clooneen or Towerhill, pari...
Claregalway Parish Joyce (Mervue) The Joyces of Mervue, Corgary and Rahasane were all descended from a family of Joyces long establish...
Claregalway Parish French (Rocklawn) The French estate amounted to over 800 acres in the 1870s including the townlands of Cloon and Polla...
Claregalway Parish Lynch (Lydacan) Patrick Melvin writes of a grant in 1720 of the castle and lands of Lydacan by Protestant trustees t...
Donanaghta Parish Daly (Eyrecourt & Bellgrove) Woodview House and 89 acres, the property of Richard Gore Daly, were offered for sale in the Encumbe...
Donanaghta Parish Eyre (Eyrecourt & Eyreville) Giles Eyre, Eyrecourt Castle and Thomas Knutford Eyre, Eyreville, are described as resident propriet...
Donanaghta Parish Hemsworth The Hemsworth family descend from the Reverend Thomas Hemsworth of Abbeville, county Tipperary, rect...
Duniry Parish Lynch (Duniry) The estate at Springvale was occupied by Francis Lynch at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1...
Grange Parish, Aughrim Parish Lynch (Kilconnell) In 1824 the Lynch family are recorded as being of Rathglass in the parish of Kilconnell. The Rathgla...
Inishcaltra Parish Reade/Read The Reades were originally a Westmeath family who married into the Featherstonehaugh family. John Ce...
Tomnahulla Egan (Annaghdown) At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Egan held the townland of Tomnahulla (617 acres), parish of...
Corrandulla Lynch/Wilson Lynch (Renmore & Duras) A Galway family who prospered in the 18th century as merchants and bankers. Patrick M. Lynch is rec...
Joycegrove Joyce (Joycegrove) An estate in the parishes of Tuam, barony of Dunmore and Dunmore, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway,...
Loughrea Parish Burke (Ballybroder) In the 1870s Hyacinth Burke of Ballybroder was the owner of over 350 acres in county Galway. In 1906...
Drumacoo Parish St. George (Tyrone House) The St.George estate was centred on the house at Tyrone, parish of Drumacoo, barony of Dunkellin, bu...
Kilcolgan Parish St. George (Tyrone House) The St.George estate was centred on the house at Tyrone, parish of Drumacoo, barony of Dunkellin, bu...
Parish of Isertkelly D'Arcy (Woodville) Robert D'Arcy is described as a resident proprietor in 1824. At the time of Griffith's Valuation he...
Ahascragh Parish Kelly (Kellysgrove) James Kealy, son and heir of William Kealy, was granted 612 acres at Kealye's Grove by patent dated...
Ahascragh Parish Mahon (Castlegar) The Mahons were settled at Castlegar from the early 18th century. In 1711 the Earl of Clanricarde l...
Ahascragh Parish Moore (Clonfert) Hubert Moore is recorded as the occupier of property in the baronies of Cloonmacnowen, Kilconnell an...
Ahascragh Parish Dillon (Clonbrock) The Dillons were a Norman family who initially received grants of land in Westmeath and who later ac...
Ahascragh Parish Moore/O'Moore (Cloonbigny) In 1629 John Moore of Brees, county Mayo, settled his Cloonbigney estate in the parish of Taghmaconn...
Ahascragh Parish Clarke (Kilconnell) The estate of William Clarke and George Harrison Clarke "of Ballinasloe" was offered for sale in the...
Ahascragh Parish ffrench (Castle ffrench) Originally known as Clogher and purchased by the ffrenches from the O'Kellys in 1636. Confiscated b...
Ahascragh Parish Daly (Dalysgrove) The Dalys of Dalysgrove, parish of Ahascragh, barony of Killian, county Galway, settled in east Galw...
Ahascragh Parish Kelly (Clooncannon) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edmond Kelly held the townland of Sonnagh, parish of Kilbegnet,...
Ahascragh Parish Rochfort The Rochfort family were established at Clogrenan, parish of Cloydagh, county Carlow, from the early...
Ahascragh Parish Trench (Woodlawn) The Trench family at Woodlawn were one of a number of Trench families who came to prominence in coun...
Athenry Parish Lambert (Castle Ellen) The Lambert family came originally from Yorkshire but were settled in county Galway since the reign...
Athenry Parish Lambert (Castle Lambert) During the 19th century the Lamberts, a junior branch of the Lamberts of Creg Clare, county Galway,...
Athenry Parish Blake (Doonmacreena & Oranmore) This branch of the Blake family, descended from the Blakes of Ballyglunin, county Galway, was settle...
Athenry Parish French (Barnaboy) Patrick French owned the townland of Barnaboy, 299 acres in the parish of Athenry, barony of Clare,...
Athenry Parish Kelly (Athenry) The Ordnance Survey Field Name Books record Mr. Evans as the proprietor of the townland of Farranabl...
Athenry Parish Persse (Roxborough & Moyode) The Persse family first received grants of land in counties Galway and Roscommon in the 1670s. Some...
Athenry Parish Russell (Slane) Thomas Russell, of Slane or Nobber, county Meath, is recorded as owning almost 700 acres in county G...
Athenry Parish Ffrench (Monivea) The Monivea estate, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, was acquired by the ffrenchs from the O'Kellys...
Athenry Parish Redington (Mirehill) In the late 18th century Nicholas Redington, eldest son of Thomas Redington of Creganna, was living...
Athenry Parish Mahon (Belleville) The Mahons bought the Belleville estate in the parish of Monivea, barony of Clare, county Galway, fr...
Athenry Parish Burke (Derrymaclaugha) Richard Burke was granted 1,943 acres in the Derrymaclaughna locality, barony of Clare, county Galwa...
Athenry Parish Kelly (Athenry) The Ordnance Survey Field Name Books record Mr. Evans as the proprietor of the townland of Farranabl...
Aughrim Parish Handy A county Westmeath family, prominent Methodists, who owned land in the Killala area from at least th...
Aughrim Parish Warburton (Kilconnell) Over 6000 acres of the Warburton estate in the barony of Kilconnell, county Galway was offered for s...
Aughrim Parish Wade (Aughrim) The Wade family held lands at Carrowmore, barony of Kilconnell during the late 18th and 19th centuri...
Ballynacourty Parish Blake (Ardfry) By patent dated 24 Feb 1681 the Blakes were granted almost 12,000 acres in counties Galway and Mayo,...
Ballynacourty Parish Ryan (Cottage) Catherine Ryan leased a small estate of about 180 acres from the Athy estate at Cottage, barony of D...
Ballynacourty Parish Knox (Rappa) Originally a Crofton estate which passed through a marriage connection to a younger son of the Knoxe...
Ballynacourty Parish Cuff Sir James Cuff was granted the town and lands of Ballinrobe, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, under...
Ballynacourty Parish Redington (Mirehill) In the late 18th century Nicholas Redington, eldest son of Thomas Redington of Creganna, was living...
Ballynacourty Parish St. George (Tyrone House) The St.George estate was centred on the house at Tyrone, parish of Drumacoo, barony of Dunkellin, bu...