The Clarke family were leasing the Graig Abbey property from the Warburton estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Graig estate and lands in the barony of Kilconnell had been granted to Arthur Annesley, 1st Earl of Anglesey under the Acts of Settlement. Anthony Clarke, a Dublin attorney, was a brother in law of Dominick and John Bodkin of Kilcloony. Dominick Bodkin sold the Graig estate to Clarke for £5,000 in 1820 to settle a debt. The Clarkes of Graig Abbey, Athenry, held the former Bodkin lands in the parishes of Belclare and Killower, barony of Clare, county Galway and Charles Cromie of Annefield, parish of Kilcommen, county Mayo was their agent. Their estate in county Galway amounted to 1,870 acres in the 1870s.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
OSI Ref: M374 501
OS Sheet: 43
Discovery map: 39
|Graig Abbey||Graig Abbey South||Monivea||Loughrea||Graigabbey 113||Kilconnell||Galway||
OSI Ref: M534302
OS Sheet: 84
Discovery map: 46
- 33 deeds re affairs of Bodkin & Clarke families, Co Galway, 17th-19th centuries. D 10,266-10,298; National Library of Ireland
- Graig Abbey. Photographs. 022/048.; Irish Architectural Archive
- Joyce, Mackie & Lougheed, auctioneers' collection, includes rental and receiver Raoul Joyce's account of estate of Herbert Clarke, a minor by Mary Kathleen Clarke his guardian, 17 Jan 1902. Co 3500; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 338
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 294
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Tuam Union, 12
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: I, 191 (Captain Kirwan)
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 371 (Bodkin)
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Galway, http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/default.html: Golden Park
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Loughrea Union, 66.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''15th Annual Report of the Commissioners of Public Records Ireland,'' 1825. Vol XVI, Appendix I, Grants under Acts of Settlement: 80.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 148.
Modern printed sources
- O'REGAN, Finbar (ed). ''The Lamberts of Athenry''. Athenry: Lambert Symposium, 1999. : MELVIN, Patrick. Landlords and Gentry around Athenry. 52-58
- ''Jnl. of the Old Tuam Society'': STEEMSON, Michael, “No. 2 troop out with Colt gun. Very hot fire." - Private James Clarke’s Second Boer War Diary. IX (2012), pp 21-31