Reverend John Cromie, rector of Ballinrobe and brother of Sir Michael Cromie baronet, married in 1795 Emily Juliana daughter of 1st Baron Kilmaine. They had a number of children including the Reverend William Cromie and Charles Cromie who was an agent for a number of landowners in the locality including his uncle Lord Kilmaine.
|Cromie||At the time of Griffith's Valuation Reverend William Cromie, nephew of the 2nd Baron Kilmaine, occupied the Neale House and held part of the estate of his uncle in the parishes of Ballinchalla, Kilmolara and Moorgagagh, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, and also some lands in the parish of Kilmainebeg. In 1876 the Reverend Cromie of Doughlas, Isle of Man, owned 640 acres in county Mayo. His brother Charles Cromie lived in a number of houses in the locality and was agent to the Bowen Elwoods of Hollymount, the Blakes of Merlin Park, the Lindseys of Hollymount, the Kirwans of Dalgan and to his uncle Lord Kilmaine. The Ordnance Survey Field Name Books for county Galway show that Charles Cromie was also agent to James Clarke, Graig Abbey and Michael Browne of Moyne for lands held by them in the barony of Clare. Charles Cromie was married to Emily Fynn of Ballymacgibbon, parish of Cong.|
|Browne (Neale)||A family established at The Neale, county Mayo, from the 16th century which they were regranted along with other Mayo lands under the Acts of Settlement. The estate of the Lords Kilmaine included most of parish of Manulla, plus lands in the parishes of Aglish and Islandeady, barony of Carra. In the barony of Kilmaine most of their estate was in the parishes of Kilmolara and Ballinchalla with smaller holdings in the parishes of Ballinrobe and Cong. They also owned land in the parishes of Ross and Cong, barony of Ross, county Galway and in the parishes of St Peters and Cam, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. In 1876 the 4th Baron owned 11,564 acres in county Mayo, 2151 acres in county Galway and 979 acres in county Roscommon and estates of about 2000 acres in each of the counties Westmeath and Wexford. The main family residence was then located at Galston House, Killucan, county Westmeath. Although the family were very active in the local affairs of county Mayo in the 17th and early 18 centuries, they were largely absentee by the 19th century and their estate in county Mayo was administered by agents, such as Charles Cromie, a nephew of the 2nd Baron. Parts of the estates in counties Wexford, Westmeath, Roscommon (over 1,000 acres at Monksland, barony of Athlone), Galway (over 2,000 acres in the barony of Ross) and Mayo (230 acres in the parish of Cong) were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1875. The Brownes sold over 2000 acres of their estate to the Congested Districts' Board in February 1907 and another 1660 acres in July 1914.|
|Bowen (Annefield)||The Bowens of county Mayo appear to be descended from the Bowens of Ballyadams, Queen's county [county Laois]. At the end of the 16th century a branch of the Bowens of Ballyadams was settled at Castlecarra, parish of Burriscarra and later at Liskilleen in the parish of Ballinrobe. By the late 18th century Christopher Bowen of Hollymount, a lawyer, held the properties known as Annefield and The Heath. He had daughters who married Anthony Elwood, a younger son of Thomas Elwood of Strandhill, Cong, and John Blake of Windfield, county Galway. By his will Christopher Bowen left Annefield and The Heath to two of his grandsons respectively, Anthony Elwood, who assumed the name of Bowen, and Henry Blake. Anthony Bowen Elwood had no children and Annefield also passed to the Blake family. Anthony Bowen Elwood held lands in the parishes of Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine, and in Kilcolman, barony of Clanmorris. He was recorded as an absentee landlord in 1802 and the estate was run by his agent, Charles Cromie, who also resided at Annefield.|
|Clarke (Graig Abbey)||The Clarke family were leasing the Graig Abbey property from the Warburton estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Graig estate and lands in the barony of Kilconnell had been granted to Arthur Annesley, 1st Earl of Anglesey under the Acts of Settlement. Anthony Clarke, a Dublin attorney, was a brother in law of Dominick and John Bodkin of Kilcloony. Dominick Bodkin sold the Graig estate to Clarke for £5,000 in 1820 to settle a debt. The Clarkes of Graig Abbey, Athenry, held the former Bodkin lands in the parishes of Belclare and Killower, barony of Clare, county Galway and Charles Cromie of Annefield, parish of Kilcommen, county Mayo was their agent. Their estate in county Galway amounted to 1,870 acres in the 1870s.|