The OS Names Books record Arthur Alexander as the proprietor of lands in the parish of Ardrahan in the 1830s. James Mahon of Northampton was acting as agent. The Alexander family owned c.300 acres in county Galway in the 1870s and Arthur Alexander's address is given as Maryville House. Hussey de Burgh gives the address as Maryville House, Kinvara and indicates that the family also owned over 300 acres in county Clare. Walford states that Arthur Alexander's mother was Mary, daugher of Giles Mahon.
Contemporary printed sources
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Galway, http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/default.html: Ardrahan Parish
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 293
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 5
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 151.
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Gort Union, 90.
- WALFORD, Edward. 'The County families of the United Kingdom''. London: Chatto & Windus, 1885): 11 (Alexander)