Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lynch (Lydacan)

Patrick Melvin writes of a grant in 1720 of the castle and lands of Lydacan by Protestant trustees to Patrick Lynch. Soon afterwards the estate of approximately 1,000 acres was mortgaged to Edward Eyre of Galway. By the early 19th century the estate was in the hands of the Court of Chancery and some members of the family had emigrated to Argentina. Patrick and James Lynch, merchants of Lynch's Castle, Galway, bought the estate from the Court. The Lynch brothers had also bought the estate of the Frenches at Moycullen. Both properties passed to Andrew Henry Lynch, the son of Patrick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Andrew H. Lynch were leasing the property at Lydacan, in the parish of Claregalway, to Peter McDonald.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Lydacan Lydacan Claregalway Galway Carnmore 54 Dunkellin Galway OSI Ref: M377314
OS Sheet: 83
Discovery map: 46

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Lydican estate, 20 May 1856, Vol 40, MRGS 39/0019 (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Pedigree of Lynch of Athenry, Drimcong, Ballydavid, Lydican and Lynch's Grove, Co Galway and of Paris, c 1430-1784. GO MS 165: 389-392; National Library of Ireland
  • Draft pedigree of Linch of Lydican, Co Galway and Buenos Aires, c 1670-c 1750. GO MS 817: 12; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources