Landed Estates
NUI Galway

French (Moycullen)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lynch (Lynch's Castle) In the 19th century Andrew Henry Lynch, son of Patrick Lynch, owned an estate of approximately 4,300 acres in the parish of Kilcummin, barony of Moycullen, county Galway and another estate in the parish of Rahoon in the county of the town of Galway containing almost 4,000 acres, which he purchased from the Lynches of Barna in 1834. Andrew Henry Lynch was a Member of Parliament for the city of Galway between 1832 and 1841. Sale particulars for the West Barna estate of 3,130 acres, mainly in the parish of Rahoon, were compiled in 1846/7 by direction of the trustees and mortagees. In 1851 Andrew H. Lynch's estates were put up for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court by his sisters and co-heiresses and were taken over by John Campbell, 1st Baron Campbell and previously Lord High Chancellor of Ireland, to whom they were heavily mortgaged. In May 1856 another estate at Lydacan in the barony of Dunmore, was advertised for sale by the co-heiresses of Andrew H. Lynch.
French (Moycullen) Martin J. Blake states that John French Fitz Stephen was given 2,200 acres by the Cromwellian Commissioners, at Moycullen, county Galway, as a tranplanted person. His son Thomas was confirmed in his possession by patent under the Acts of Settlement. Four generations of Frenchs held this estate until the death of Thomas French of Moycullen in the early 1780s. He is recorded as residing at Moycullen on the Taylor and Skinner map. Martin J. Blake refers to the sale of the French's Moycullen estate following a law suit after the death of Thomas. At least some of the estate was in the possession of Andrew Henry Lynch in 1851 when he sold it to Lord Campbell.
Lynch (Lydacan) Patrick Melvin writes of a grant in 1720 of the castle and lands of Lydacan by Protestant trustees to Patrick Lynch. Soon afterwards the estate of approximately 1,000 acres was mortgaged to Edward Eyre of Galway. By the early 19th century the estate was in the hands of the Court of Chancery and some members of the family had emigrated to Argentina. Patrick and James Lynch, merchants of Lynch's Castle, Galway, bought the estate from the Court. The Lynch brothers had also bought the estate of the Frenches at Moycullen. Both properties passed to Andrew Henry Lynch, the son of Patrick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Andrew H. Lynch were leasing the property at Lydacan, in the parish of Claregalway, to Peter McDonald.