Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland indicates that Michael Burke of Ballintober, county Roscommon purchased the Ballydugan property from the Lynch family around 1726. The OS Name Books record Thomas Burke of Ballydugan as a proprietor in the parish of Ardrahan in the 1830s. William Burke purchased the former Kelly estate at Lisduff, parish of Tynagh, barony of Longford, from the 2nd Marquess of Sligo in the late 1820s. The Ballydugan estate remained in the Burke family until divided in the early 20th century though some of the demesne lands are still owned by the family. William Burke, son of the Reverend John Burke, Vicar of Kilcolgan, was agent to the Guinness family of Ashford Castle and his son William Creaghe Burke lived at Cloonee.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
OSI Ref: M181 691
OS Sheet: 110
Discovery map: 38
OSI Ref: M679169
OS Sheet: 106
Discovery map: 52
OSI Ref: M155 544
OS Sheet: 120
Discovery map: 38
- Photocopy of the pedigree of the Burke family of Ballyduggan, 10th-20th centuries. Acc. No. 999/347; National Archives of Ireland
- Ballydugan, Photographs. 024/066.; Irish Architectural Archive
- Baker, Ringwood & Gordon, solicitors' collection, includes copy certificates of grants of probate, Thomas Burke of Ballydoogan 1758 & William Burke, 1793. Small Accs. Index 105, T.11,830-11,831; National Archives of Ireland
- Westport Estate Papers, Collection List 78; National Library of Ireland
- Burkes of Ballydugan papers, 1707 – 1970, GP6. small collection which includes marriage settlements and leases, and also personal letters of various family members, ; Galway County Council Archives
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Loughrea Union, 153.
- TAYLOR, George & SKINNER, Andrew. ''Maps of the Roads of Ireland, surveyed in 1777 and corrected down to 1783''. Facsimile of 2nd edition. Shannon: Irish University Press, 1969: 82.
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol II, 177.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 294.
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 62.
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Galway, http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/default.html: Ardrahan Parish
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 325.
- WILSON, William. ''The Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers Directory Through Ireland''. The author: Dublin, 1786 : 135 (Ballydugan)
Modern printed sources
- PINE, L.G. (ed). ''Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. 4th ed. London: Burke's Peerage, 1958.: 123-124.
- HOWARD, Joseph Jackson and CRISP, Frederick Arthur (eds). ''Visitation of Ireland''. Baltimore: reprint by Genealogical Publishing Co. Inc., 1973: Vol V, 49-52
- O LOCHLAINN, Colm (ed.) ''Wilde's Loch Coirib''. Dublin: 1938: 158
- MELVIN, Patrick. ''Estates and landed society in Galway''. (Dublin: Éamonn de Búrca, 2012). : p.413 Photograph of original Ballydugan (with third storey)
- O'RIORDAN, Ann. ''East Galway agrarian agitation and the burning of Ballydugan House, 1922''. Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2015.: All
- DEAN, J.A.K. ''The gate lodges of Connaught: a gazetteer.'' Dublin ; Wordwell, 2019. : p.19 (Ballydugan)