Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kelly (Lisduff)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Browne (Coolaran, Kilskeagh & Mountkelly) The Browne's lands at Coolaran were confiscated by the Cromwelllian Commissioners but restored again by Charles II by patent dated 1677, when Oliver Browne was granted 2,481 acres in the baronies of Athenry and Dunmore, including "Cularan". They lost much of their estate in the 18th century through marriage and disputes between family members, resulting in sales to the Mahons of Belleville and the Lamberts, who established the Castle Ellen estate from former Browne property. In 1788 Dominick Browne of Kilskeagh and Ashford, parish of Cong, married Emily a granddaughter of John Browne of Westport, 1st Earl of Altamont. Their eldest son Robert Browne, Ranger of the Curragh, county Kildare, held lands in the parishes of Athenry and Lackagh, barony of Clare, county Galway in the 1850s. Their second son, John William Browne, was a Dublin solicitor, who acted as agent for the Marquess of Sligo's county Galway estate. In 1846 J.W. Browne bought the lease of Mount Kelly estate in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, from Henry Lanauze. Mount Kelly was part of the Marquess of Sligo's estates leased to Christopher Kelly Bellew in the late 18th century and in 1800 to Lanauze. Hussey de Burgh records that Robert J. Browne owned over 2,000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s and James Browne of Mountkelly owned 1,905 acres. http://www.glenamaddy.net/files/history/browne.shtml
Burke (Ballydugan) Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland indicates that Michael Burke of Ballintober, county Roscommon purchased the Ballydugan property from the Lynch family around 1726. The OS Name Books record Thomas Burke of Ballydugan as a proprietor in the parish of Ardrahan in the 1830s. William Burke purchased the former Kelly estate at Lisduff, parish of Tynagh, barony of Longford, from the 2nd Marquess of Sligo in the late 1820s. The Ballydugan estate remained in the Burke family until divided in the early 20th century though some of the demesne lands are still owned by the family. William Burke, son of the Reverend John Burke, Vicar of Kilcolgan, was agent to the Guinness family of Ashford Castle and his son William Creaghe Burke lived at Cloonee.
Prendergast (Kiltormer) A property of over 200 acres in the parishes of Kiltormer and Killoran, barony of Longford , owned by John Prendergast, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in June 1852.
Dalton The Westport Estate Papers document John Dalton of Rahara, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon in the mid 18th century. He was a nephew of Dennis Kelly of Lisduff, county Galway, the father in law of Peter Kelly Browne of Westport. In one document John Dalton refers to his purchase of the estate of Richard Bellew. At the time of Griffith's Valuation a Michael Dalton held land in the parish of Kilcooley, barony of Roscommon.
Kelly (Lisduff) In 1752 Peter Browne of Westport (1730-1780) married Elizabeth Kelly, only child of Denis Kelly, Chief Justice of Jamaica, from whom the Brownes inherited the Lisduff estate, parish of Tynagh, barony of Longford, Co Galway and sugar plantations in Jamaica. The Westport Estate Papers include a variety of papers dated 1723-1758 about property belonging to Denis Kelly in Jamaica and at Lisduff, Co Galway, acquired from his brother Edmond Kelly and also early 19th century rentals of the Lisduff estate. The estate was enlarged by Denis Kelly’s purchase of the lands of Drimatubber [Drumatober] and Garrancarf from the Countess of Kildare and others in 1749 and of the lands of Cormickoge from John Burke in 1750. Some of the earliest title deeds relate to the Hogan lands of Ballagh or Levallagh, barony of Longford, which were conveyed to Denis Kelly by John Prendergast on 19 Aug 1752. The 2nd Marquess of Sligo sold the estate to William Burke of Ballydugan, near Loughrea, Co Galway, in the late 1820s, after an exchange with Lord Clanricarde of a small part of the estate for some islands off the west coast, including Inishboffin. John William Browne, solicitor, of Dublin and Mount Kelly was agent for the Marquess's Galway estate in the early 19th century.