A branch of the Henry family of Lodge Park, county Kildare.
|Deane||Thomas Deane, a merchant, was granted over 1,500 acres mainly in the baronies of Clare and Dunmore, county Galway, including Castlemoyle and Toghermore, but also in the barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, by patent dated 2 June 1677. Stephen Deane was granted lands in the baronies of Loughrea, Moycullen and Athenry, county Galway and in the barony of Carra, county Mayo in May 1677. The Deanes held land in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway, in the late 18th century and also in the town of Galway. By the end of the 18th century Ambrose Deane was bankrupt and in 1790 sold Toghermore to John Henry of Dublin and Castlemoyle was sold to Valentine O'Connor in 1796. Ambrose Deane died intestate in 1792 and one of his sisters succeeded to the Deane estate of Balrobuck, parish of Annaghdown. She was married to Dominick Skerrett of Ballinduff. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward H. Deane held land in the parish of Cummer, barony of Clare. In the 19th century Edward Deane was agent to Christopher McManus of Barleyhill and leased land in the parish of Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. The Deanes appear to have lent money to the McManuses and in the early 1850s Edward Deane went to America to escape his creditors. He was married to Esmy O'Flaherty of Lisdonagh, near Headford, county Galway. A brother and sister of Edward Deane's married members of the McDermott family of Coolavin, county Sligo.|
|Henry (Toghermore)||Hugh Robert Henry, a younger son of Hugh Henry of Lodge Park, Straffan, county Kildare was the first member of the Henry family to reside at Toghermore in the parish of Killererin, barony of Clare, county Galway, in the early 19th century. In 1790 the Henrys had purchased Toghermore from the bankrupt Deane family. The estate of the Henrys of Toghermore was mainly in the parish of Killererin, while the Lodge Park branch of the family owned townlands in the parishes of Athenry and Lackagh. Hugh Robert Henry had four sons, the eldest, Hugh, settled at Firmount, county Kildare, Robert lived at Toghermore, the Reverend Joseph was a clergyman and missionary. He collected a library of books now housed at the Hardiman Library at NUI,Galway and James was a merchant in Peru. In the 1870s the Henrys of Firmount owned over 6,000 acres and the Henrys of Lodge Park over 1,000 acres in county Galway. Robert Henry of Toghermore also owned 412 acres in county Limerick. By March 1916 a final offer of £6,000 had been received by the Henrys of Lodge Park for their Galway acreage from the Congested Districts' Board. Cecil Henry, a younger son of Robert Henry of Toghermore, bought Crumlin House in the parish of Abbeyknockmoy from a branch of the Blakes of Ardfry in the early 1880s. Bateman mentions over 900 acres which the Lodge Park branch of the family held on perpetual lease in county Mayo in the 1880s. Over 600 acres belonging to Cecil R. Henry were vested in the Congested Districts' Board in April 1914. Toghermore was inherited by Robert Burke of the Ballydugan family, a grandson of Robert Henry, who set up a co-operative in the late 1920s. He left Tuam in the early 1950s and gave Toghermore to the State and it was used as a recovering unit for tuberculosis patients.|
|Burke (Ballydugan)||Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland indicates that Michael Burke of Ballintober, county Roscommon purchased the Ballydugan property from the Lynch family around 1726. The OS Name Books record Thomas Burke of Ballydugan as a proprietor in the parish of Ardrahan in the 1830s. William Burke purchased the former Kelly estate at Lisduff, parish of Tynagh, barony of Longford, from the 2nd Marquess of Sligo in the late 1820s. The Ballydugan estate remained in the Burke family until divided in the early 20th century though some of the demesne lands are still owned by the family. William Burke, son of the Reverend John Burke, Vicar of Kilcolgan, was agent to the Guinness family of Ashford Castle and his son William Creaghe Burke lived at Cloonee.|
|Blake (Crumlin, Clooncon & Moorfield)||Descended from a younger son of the Blakes of Ardfry in the 17th century, the Blakes of Crumlin, parish of Abbeyknockmoy, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, were originally granted their estate by the Cromwellian Commissioners. In the 1870s the estate amounted to 1,405 acres. By the early 1880s the family had become bankrupt and Crumlin was sold in the Land Court to Cecil Robert Henry of the Toghermore family, near Tuam in the early 1890s. Stephen Blake, a member of the Blakes of Crumlin, Clooncon and Moorfield, county Galway, held the two townlands of Clooncon East and West in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, in the mid 1850s. In 1856 he was advertising the sale of these lands amounting to 1,426 acres. Almost half of the estate was readvertised in 1859.|
|Handcock||Patrick Melvin writes that Carrowntryla was originally a Burke property, which was sold in 1753 to Anne Henry, widow of Hugh Henry, a Dublin banker, who died in 1743. Carrowntryla passed to William Henry who had an only daughter, Anne, who married William Handcock in 1802. These Handcocks shared a common ancestor with the Barons Castlemaine and both William Handcock's father and grandfather were clergymen. There was a legal dispute over the Handcock succession to the Carrownatryla estate. The Handcock estate was situated in the parishes of Addergoole, Dunmore, Tuam and Boyounagh in the baronies of Dunmore, Ballymoe and Clare, county Galway. William Henry Handcock married Catherine Josephine Kelly and left three daughters at the time of his death in 1842. In 1851 part of the estate was sold in the Encumbered Estates Court. The purchaser was Patrick Nolan, in trust. A dispute arose over ownership of the estate in the 1850s between John Delacour and John Stratford Handcock. Delacour was compensated but this eventually led to the sale of the estate in the mid 1890s to the mortgagees, Sir Henry Lopes and the representatives of Mr Fitzwilliam Dick. In the 1870s John Handcock's estate in county Galway amounted to 7,865 acres. Major Gerald Stratford Handcock bought back the house and a hundred acres in 1928.|
|Henry (Tipperary & Limerick)||The Henrys of counties Tipperary and Limerick were a branch of the Henry family of Straffan, county Kildare and were closely related to the Henry family of Toghermore, near Tuam, county Galway. In 1801 John Joseph Henry of Straffan married a daughter of the 2nd Duke of Leinster. He is recorded as holding land in the parish of St Nicholas, close to Limerick city, at the time of Griffith's Valuation [although he died in 1835]. His son, Charles John Henry, held an estate in the barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, mainly located in the parish of Templeachally but also in the parishes of Kilcomenty, Kilmastulla and Kilnarth. The estate of Charles John Henry amounting to over 4,000 acres in the barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale in December 1858. In May 1858 the lands of Singland, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick, [476 acres] belonging to Charles John Henry were advertised for sale. Charles John Henry lived at Fort Henry, county Tipperary. He died in 1879 and was succeeded at Fort Henry by his nephew. Untenanted land at Singland was still in the possession of Cecil R. Henry in 1906. In the 1870s Charles John Henry of Cheltenham owned 3,870 acres in county Tipperary while his cousin Robert Henry of Toghermore, county Galway, owned 412 acres in county Limerick.|