Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Carter (Annaghkeen)

The South Mayo Family Research Society have recorded late 17th century gravestone memorials to members of the Carter family of Annaghkeen in the Church of Ireland cemetery, Headford, county Galway. In the 19th century the Carters owned an estate of about 2000 acres in the parish of Killursa, barony of Clare, county Galway. Almost 400 acres of their estate was leased to Martin Browne of Clerhaun/Claran in 1814 and this portion was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1863 by John Carter Barrett. Willoughby H. Carter was the proprietor for much of the 19th century and in the 1870s owned 1,963 acres in county Galway and 95 acres in Queen's county (Co Laois) while William S. Carter owned 209 acres at Barnaboy. The agent for the estate at the time of the first Ordnance Survey was John Kilkelly of Mossfort.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Moyne Hill Barnaboy Kilkilvery Tuam Headford 203 Clare Galway OSI Ref: M267 493
OS Sheet: 42
Discovery map: 45
Annaghkeen Annaghkeen Killursa Tuam Killursa 207 Clare Galway OSI Ref: M206 447
OS Sheet: 55
Discovery map: 45

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Carter Barrett, 16 Jan 1863, Vol 67, MRGS 39/033, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Records of Franks and Carter Estate Office, Mountrath, Co Laois, 17th - 20th centuries; National Archives of Ireland
  • Estate records of Denis J. Kirwan and Sons, land agents, Tuam, mid 19th - mid 20th centuries, including account book of rents received, 1909-1921. Acc. No. 5124; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources