John Davis of Clonfinage or Kentstown, county Galway, who married Ellinor, only child of Andrew Kent of Ballynacor, county Galway, is recorded in the Genealogical Office MS 182. The pedigree does not record if they had any children. In the mid 1830s Netterville Davies held at least ten townlands in the parish and barony of Killian. Thomas Davies, a Dublin solicitor, advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court, 140 acres of Briarsfield, parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway in June 1850. The sale of 2,317 acres belonging to Geoffrey Davies in the barony of Killian was advertised in June 1851 and some again in January 1852. The Freeman's Journal reports that much of it was purchased by Thomas Cornwall. It is evident from Griffith's Valuation that some of the former Davies land in the parish of Killian was held by John N. Gerrard, James Thorngate and Matthew Cornwall by the mid 1850s but members of the Davies family still retained Cappagh and Kentstown. Geoffrey Davies tried to claim the estate of Marcella Gerrard after her death in 1865. Thomas Davies of Kentstown was the owner of 841 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. Thomas Henry Davies advertised three different parts of his estate for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1873 and 1877 including Kentstown and Briarfield, barony of Tiaquin in November 1877. Cappagh was sold in the Landed Estates Court in July 1877 when the purchaser was Thomas Mann, in trust. Brierfield was sold to Samuel Nulty and George H. Pentland in November 1877 while was sold in trust to Mr.P.J. Kelly, solicitor, at the same time. In June 1875 John Francis Davies offered for sale lands at Cloonkeen Kelly and Clonfinogue. The Irish Times reported that the former was purchased in trust for William Gleeson and the latter by Thomas H. Davis.
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Davies, 14 June & 15 Nov 1850, Vols 1 & 3, MRGS 39/001, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Davies, 24 June 1851 & 27 Jan 1852, Vols 8 & 13, MRGS 39/003 & 39/006, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Davies, 11 June 1873, Vol 119, MRGS 39/054, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Davies, 27 Apr 1877, Vol 127, MRGS 39/057, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Davies, 2 Nov 1877, Vol 130, MRGS 39/058, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates Court Rental, Davies, 2 Nov 1877, baronies of Tiaquin & Killian. M62,659; Galway County Library
- Map of Cloonkeen, parish & barony of Killian, showing division of townland as agreed betwen Denis Kelly, Edmond Netterville & Geoffrey Davis, 11 Sept 1769. 21.F.76(30); National Library of Ireland
- Confirmation of arms to descendants of Thomas Davies of Rossleven, Co Clare & Moate, Co Galway, eldest son of Walter Davies, second son of Thomas Davies of Newcastle, Co Galway of the Davies family of Cloonshanvoyle, Co Roscommon & to grandson of Thomas Davies of Rossleven being Seymour George Pilkington Davies of Victoria, second son of Thomas Pilkington Davies of Rossleven, Victoria, Australia, 17 Sept 1910. GO MS 111a: 42; National Library of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 117
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 295
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Mountbellew Union, 57
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Galway, http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/default.html: Kentstown
Modern printed sources
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society'': SYNNOTT, David. Marcella Gerrard's Estate. LVII (2005), 38-64
- ''Irish Times'': Landed Estates Court sale reports, 14 June 1875, p.6. 7 July 1877, p.3. 3 November 1877, p.3.
- ''Freeman's Journal'': Incumbered Estates Court sale reports, 28 January 1852, p.4. 8 June 1853, p.4.