Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Davies (Kentstown)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Davies (Kentstown) John Davis of Clonfinage or Kentstown, county Galway, who married Ellinor, only child of Andrew Kent of Ballynacor, county Galway, is recorded in the Genealogical Office MS 182. The pedigree does not record if they had any children. In the mid 1830s Netterville Davies held at least ten townlands in the parish and barony of Killian. Thomas Davies, a Dublin solicitor, advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court, 140 acres of Briarsfield, parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway in June 1850. The sale of 2,317 acres belonging to Geoffrey Davies in the barony of Killian was advertised in June 1851 and some again in January 1852. The Freeman's Journal reports that much of it was purchased by Thomas Cornwall. It is evident from Griffith's Valuation that some of the former Davies land in the parish of Killian was held by John N. Gerrard, James Thorngate and Matthew Cornwall by the mid 1850s but members of the Davies family still retained Cappagh and Kentstown. Geoffrey Davies tried to claim the estate of Marcella Gerrard after her death in 1865. Thomas Davies of Kentstown was the owner of 841 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. Thomas Henry Davies advertised three different parts of his estate for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1873 and 1877 including Kentstown and Briarfield, barony of Tiaquin in November 1877. Cappagh was sold in the Landed Estates Court in July 1877 when the purchaser was Thomas Mann, in trust. Brierfield was sold to Samuel Nulty and George H. Pentland in November 1877 while was sold in trust to Mr.P.J. Kelly, solicitor, at the same time. In June 1875 John Francis Davies offered for sale lands at Cloonkeen Kelly and Clonfinogue. The Irish Times reported that the former was purchased in trust for William Gleeson and the latter by Thomas H. Davis.