Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Davis/Davies (Kilconnell)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Davies (Kentstown) John Davis of Clonfinage or Kentstown, county Galway, who married Ellinor, only child of Andrew Kent of Ballynacor, county Galway, is recorded in the Genealogical Office MS 182. The pedigree does not record if they had any children. In the mid 1830s Netterville Davies held at least ten townlands in the parish and barony of Killian. Thomas Davies, a Dublin solicitor, advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court, 140 acres of Briarsfield, parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway in June 1850. The sale of 2,317 acres belonging to Geoffrey Davies in the barony of Killian was advertised in June 1851 and some again in January 1852. The Freeman's Journal reports that much of it was purchased by Thomas Cornwall. It is evident from Griffith's Valuation that some of the former Davies land in the parish of Killian was held by John N. Gerrard, James Thorngate and Matthew Cornwall by the mid 1850s but members of the Davies family still retained Cappagh and Kentstown. Geoffrey Davies tried to claim the estate of Marcella Gerrard after her death in 1865. Thomas Davies of Kentstown was the owner of 841 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. Thomas Henry Davies advertised three different parts of his estate for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1873 and 1877 including Kentstown and Briarfield, barony of Tiaquin in November 1877. Cappagh was sold in the Landed Estates Court in July 1877 when the purchaser was Thomas Mann, in trust. Brierfield was sold to Samuel Nulty and George H. Pentland in November 1877 while was sold in trust to Mr.P.J. Kelly, solicitor, at the same time. In June 1875 John Francis Davies offered for sale lands at Cloonkeen Kelly and Clonfinogue. The Irish Times reported that the former was purchased in trust for William Gleeson and the latter by Thomas H. Davis.
Davis/Davies (Kilconnell) John Davies was resident at Castle-bin, Kilconnell, in 1814. The estate of George Davies, in the parish of Aughrim, barony of Kilconnell, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in April 1853. The original lease by which Davies held the property dated from 1782 renewable forever. George Davies was the tenant on a holding, consisting of 144 acres, at Rehill, the property of Sophia Mary Ireland, offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in March 1852.Francis Davis was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Killallaghtan, barony of Kilconnell. This may the the same Francis Davys who leasing Ballymantan, parish of Kiltartan. Francis Davis held over 1,000 acres in the parish of Cloontuskert, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Some of his estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in November 1855. The Davies of county Clare are descended from Thomas Davies of Newcastle, county Galway, brother of William Davies of Hampstead and John Davies of Kentstown. The county Clare branch of the family were related to the Pilkingtons and the Bentleys and were living at Rosslevan in the 1820s. Francis Davis held land in the parish of Kilmurry, barony of Ibrickan in the early 1850s. Francis Davis of Kingstown, Dublin, owned 915 acres in county Clare.
Davis (Frenchpark) William Davis was the lessor of property in the parish of Tibohine, barony of Frenchpark at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s he owned an estate of over 1000 acres in county Roscommon. Members of the Davis family are buried in the graveyard surrounding the ruins of Frenchpark Priory.