The Northampton estate was owned by the Mahon family who built Northampton House. Portions of the estate were offered for sale in the Encumbered estates courts in 1851. The portion including the house was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in June 1865. It was purchased by Mr. Murray for over £1100. The OS Name Books record James Mahon of Northampton as a middleman for the estate of Arthur Alexander of Gort on lands in the parish of Ardrahan in the 1830s.
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Mahon, Kinvara, 26 June 1851, Vol 8, MRGS 3 (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Marriage settlement June G. Mahon of Northampton & Daniel O'Grady of Shorepark, Co Clare, re lands in Co Clare, 22 Sept 1841. 999/404/2/4; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol II, 234.
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Gort Union, 87.
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Galway, http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/default.html: Ardrahan Parish
Modern printed sources
- SPELLISSY, Séan. ''The History of Galway''. Limerick: Celtic Bookshop, 1999. : 359
- O'CONNELL, J.W. ''Kinvara History, a family affair.'' Kinvara, county Galway: Kinvara Community Council, 1988. : 23
- ''Irish Times'': Landed Estates Court sales, 28 June 1865, p.4