Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Connell (Kilgory)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Mahon (Northampton) The Northampton estate was owned by the Mahon family who built Northampton House. Portions of the estate were offered for sale in the Encumbered estates courts in 1851. The portion including the house was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in June 1865. It was purchased by Mr. Murray for over £1100. The OS Name Books record James Mahon of Northampton as a middleman for the estate of Arthur Alexander of Gort on lands in the parish of Ardrahan in the 1830s.
O'Callaghan/O'Callaghan Westropp (Kilgory & Maryfort) The county Cork estates of the O'Callaghans were confiscated in the mid 17th century and the family settled at Mountallon, just south of O'Callaghansmills, in county Clare. In the mid 18th century they moved to Kilgorey. In 1785 Edmund O'Callaghan of Kilgory married Helen O'Brien and had four daughters who married respectively Thomas O'Reilly, the 3rd Earl of Kenmare, James Bagot and Gerald Dease. Kilgory was advertised for sale by them in the early 1860s. In May 1862, the Irish Times reports that it was purchased by Messers T. Fitzgerald and George Keogh, in trust. In 1784 John O'Callaghan married Catherine Colpoys of Ballycar, who eventually inherited Ballycar. Ballycar was advertised for sale in December 1850. George O'Callaghan of Maryfort married Mary Westropp of Fort Anne, which property came into the possession of her son John O'Callaghan. George O'Callaghan died of Famine fever on 31 Jan 1849, see inscription on his ledger MS 865 (NLI). In the 1870s Lieutenant Colonel John O'Callaghan of Maryfort owned 4,842 acres in county Clare. In November 1912 his estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board.
O'Connell (Kilgory) Daniel O'Connell appears to have been resident at Kilgory for the last 2 decades of the 18th century. In 1835 Catherine O'Connell, widow of Daniel O'Connell of Kilgorey, died in Limerick. In the mid 19th century the O’Connell estate was mainly in the parishes of Tulla and Kilnoe, barony of Tulla Upper, county Clare. Maurice O’Connell also held land in the parish of Kilraghtis, barony of Bunratty Upper and Kilkeedy, barony of Inchiquin. In 1837 he married Emily daughter of Denis McCarthy O'Leary. In 1840 her brother Charles McCarthy O'Leary married Kate daughter of Daniel O'Connell of Kilgory. Maurice's son and successor Daniel O’Connell of Kilgory, married in 1867 Jane daughter of Carrol O'Grady, medical doctor, and owned 2,019 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. The 1901 Census records Daniel O’Connell of Kilgory, aged 58, and his wife Jane as resident at Kilgory with their son Charles and two daughters Henrietta and Jenny.
Ryves In 1667 William and John Ryves were granted over a thousand acres in the barony of Coslea and 168 acres in county Kerry. The record in the grant book includes reference to the will of their father Colonel William Ryves deceased. By the beginning of the 19th century there appear to be two branches of the Ryves family settled at Ryves Castle, barony of Coshlea and Newgarden, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick. Francis and Edward Ryves were sons of William Ryves and Jane Gore who married in 1733. William Ryves of Ryves Castle married Francis Warren and their son William married Frances Harding. William Ryves held land in the parishes of Ballingarry and Ballyscadden, barony of Coshlea, at the time of Griffith's Valuation while Hugh Ryves held land in the parishes of Ballyscadden and Galbally. Edward Ryves and Catherine Massy of Stoneville were the parents of Hugh Massy Ryves. Hugh Massy Richard Ryves rental of lands in the barony of Coshlea, county Limerick and the barony of Tulla Upper, county Clare, was advertised for sale in August 1850. Part of the county Clare property was held by Maurice O'Connell of Kilgory. The Franks family purchased much of the Ryves estate post 1850, it was first advertised for sale in March 1852. However the Franks did not buy all the Ryves estate as a copy memorial (P40/61) in the Ryan of Scarteen Papers shows that Edward Reeves of 7 Lower FitzWilliam Square, Dublin, bought Scarteen and Rathgullane in May 1852 for £5,050. The sale rental shows that these townlands were leased to the representatives of Thaddeus Richard Ryan and an excellent dwelling house and offices had recently been built. William H. Ryves, England, owned 246 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. http://members.iinet.net.au/~nickred/trees/ryves.PDF