Over 6000 acres of the Warburton estate in the barony of Kilconnell, county Galway was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in November, 1855. Much of this land was leased to the Handy family and also formed parts of the Knott and Ireland estates near Aughrim. The original lease, between the Earl of Arran and Richard Warburton, was dated August 1718. Townlands in the parish of Aughrim are recorded as the property of Major Warburton at the time of the 1st Ordnance Survey in the 1830s. The Warburton family's main residence was at Garryhinch in county Offaly, but close to the town of Portarlington, County Laois.
- Landed Estates Court Rentals (O'Brien),Warburton , 8 November 1855, Vol 36, MRGS 39/017, (microfilm copy in NUIG).; National Archives of Ireland
- Graig Abbey. Photographs. 022/048.; Irish Architectural Archive
Contemporary printed sources
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Galway, http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/default.html: Aughrim Parish
Modern printed sources
- ''The Irish Genealogist'': MELVIN, Patrick. The composition of the Galway gentry. VII No. 1(1986), 83
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1904: 637