Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kelly (Boyounagh)

A branch of the Kelly family held an estate in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in the 18th and 19th centuries. The nucleus of this was a grant to Cornelius Kelly of 27 acres in Cloondoyle and Cloonlara by patent dated 1 June 1678. Part of the Kelly estate was advertised for sale in 1855. In the 1870s Bernard D. Kelly, Cloondoyle, was recorded as the owner of 754 acres in county Galway. 488 acres belonging to Bernard Dowel Kelly were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 5 April 1906. Descendants of this family now live in Canada.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Kedagh Park Cloonlara South Boyounagh Glennamaddy Glennamaddy 76 Ballymoe Galway OSI Ref: M660 614
OS Sheet: 19
Discovery map: 39
Cloondoyle Cloondoyle More Boyounagh Glenamaddy Glennamaddy 76 Ballymoe Galway OSI Ref: M653 607
OS Sheet: 18
Discovery map: 39
Ashfield Ashfield Boyounagh Glennamaddy Glennamaddy 76 Ballymoe Galway OSI Ref: M655 604
OS Sheet: 18
Discovery map: 39

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Kelly, 18 Dec 1855, Vol 37, MRGS 39/018, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources