Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kelly (Boyounagh)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Reilly (Glennamaddy) Patrick Reilly held 3 townlands in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in the mid 1850s and Patrick and Michael Reilly both had houses in the town of Glennamaddy. Michael Reilly of Glennamaddy owned 3,631 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. His estate amounting to 3,726 acres was offered for sale in December 1880 by the trustees of his will. The estate was dispersed throughout the parishes of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe and Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin. Pádraig Lane writes that Michael Reilly of Glan bought some of the property of Bartholomew Kelly in 1856. It is also evident that he bought land formerly in the possession of William Ball, Sir St George Gore and Robert E. Bredin.
Kelly (Boyounagh) A branch of the Kelly family held an estate in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in the 18th and 19th centuries. The nucleus of this was a grant to Cornelius Kelly of 27 acres in Cloondoyle and Cloonlara by patent dated 1 June 1678. Part of the Kelly estate was advertised for sale in 1855. In the 1870s Bernard D. Kelly, Cloondoyle, was recorded as the owner of 754 acres in county Galway. 488 acres belonging to Bernard Dowel Kelly were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 5 April 1906. Descendants of this family now live in Canada.