Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Reilly (Glennamaddy)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Reilly (Glennamaddy) Patrick Reilly held 3 townlands in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in the mid 1850s and Patrick and Michael Reilly both had houses in the town of Glennamaddy. Michael Reilly of Glennamaddy owned 3,631 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. His estate amounting to 3,726 acres was offered for sale in December 1880 by the trustees of his will. The estate was dispersed throughout the parishes of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe and Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin. Pádraig Lane writes that Michael Reilly of Glan bought some of the property of Bartholomew Kelly in 1856. It is also evident that he bought land formerly in the possession of William Ball, Sir St George Gore and Robert E. Bredin.
Ball William S. Ball of Abbeylara, county Longford, held 2 townlands in the parish of Dunmore, barony of Ballymoe and one townland in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway at the time of Griffith's Valuation. William Shirley Ball was the petitioner at the sale of the Ousley interest in lands in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, on 2 July 1850 in the Encumbered Estates' Court. W.S. Ball's daughter Georgina married in 1861 Norman Melville, son of the 9th Earl of Leven. Almost 1800 acres of the estate of Arthur William Ball, Alicia Ball, widow and others in the baronies of Ballymoe and Tiaquin were advertised for sale on 15 June 1869.
Gore (Baronet) In the mid 1850s Sir St George Gore, 8th Baronet, held at least 15 townlands in the parishes of Boyounagh, Dunmore and Templetogher, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. This branch of the Gore family had inherited the estates of Sir Richard St George of Dunmore, county Galway through a marriage in the early 18th century with a niece of Sir Richard's, namely Elizabeth Ashe, daughter of the Reverend St George Ashe, Bishop of Clogher. Sir George St George, father of Richard, had been granted over 8,000 acres in the baronies of Dunmore, Ballymoe and Tiaquin by patent dated 18 Dec 1666. In the late 18th century Sir Ralph Gore, 6th baronet and Earl of Ross from 1771, sold the Dunmore part of his county Galway estates to Sir George Shee. In 1872 estates in counties Limerick (1,657 acres), Galway (4,139 acres), King's County [county Offaly], Cavan, Dublin and Meath, belonging to Sir St George Gore, totaling over 9,000 acres, were advertised for sale. The county Galway estate was the largest amounting to 4,139 acres in the barony of Ballymoe. By March 1916 the Gores had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for over 2,500 acres of their county Galway estate. The Gores county Limerick estate was in the parish of Kildimo, barony of Kenry. St George Gore acted as agent to his father Sir Ralph Gore, London, in the early 1840s. The Westropps of Mellon leased the Gore estate in county Limerick.
Kelly (Boyounagh) A branch of the Kelly family held an estate in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in the 18th and 19th centuries. The nucleus of this was a grant to Cornelius Kelly of 27 acres in Cloondoyle and Cloonlara by patent dated 1 June 1678. Part of the Kelly estate was advertised for sale in 1855. In the 1870s Bernard D. Kelly, Cloondoyle, was recorded as the owner of 754 acres in county Galway. 488 acres belonging to Bernard Dowel Kelly were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 5 April 1906. Descendants of this family now live in Canada.
Bredin At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edgar Robert Bredin, [of Retreat, near Cootehill, county Cavan], held the townland of Lisheennaheltia, parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. This townland of over a thousand acres, held in fee simple, was advertised for sale in 1856.