Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Browne (Fort Browne)

Fort Browne, parish of Clonbern, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, originally known as Cappanagoine, was granted to Anthony Browne, son of Gregory deceased, by patent dated 17 Jan 1682, along with other lands. In the Ordnance Survey Name Books Anthony Browne of Fort Browne, is recorded as holding four townlands in the parish. In March 1850 Walter Patrick Kirwan, the assignee of Gregory Browne, an insolvent, was offering the Fort Browne estate of 578 acres for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the estate was in the possession of St John A. Clerke, the petitioner in 1850. Members of the Browne family are buried in Clonbern cemetery.

Associated Families

No associated families were found for this estate

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Fort Browne Fortbrown Clonbern Glennamaddy Cloonkeen 72 Ballymoe Galway OSI Ref: M568 541
OS Sheet: 31
Discovery map: 39

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Kirwan & Browne, 21 Mar 1850, Vol 2, MRGS 39/001, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources