In 1824 Edward Martyn is listed as a resident proprietor in county Galway. John Martyn was the owner of several townlands in the parishes of Ardrahan, Kilbeacanty and Kilthomas, all situated within the barony of Kiltartan, county Galway, in the 1850s. In the 1830s the OS Name Books describe Mr. Martyn's ancestry as "Strongbownians from Shropshire". The estate is recorded as being in excess of 4000 acres in the 1870s. In 1906 Edward Martyn held about 1000 acres of untenanted demesne land. In June 1927 the ''Tuam Herald'' reported that some parts of the estate had been vested in the Land Commission. A branch of this Martyn family lived at Doobeg, county Sligo, in the 18th century. Descendents of this branch settled in Austria & Hungary.
- GO MSS 164: Pedigree of Martyn of Tullyira, county Galway, Doobeg, county Sligo & Austria, c.1690-1805. ; National Library of Ireland
- GO MSS 813 (24): draft pedigree of Martyn of Tullyra, county Galway, Doobeg, county Sligo & Hungary, 1700-1912. ; National Library of Ireland
- Tulira. Photographs & Press Cuttings. 071/043. Sale Catalogue. 1981. RP.D.32.4. Catalogue of furniture in sale. 1926. ; Irish Architectural Archive
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Gort Union, 92.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 298
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 382.
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol I, 56.
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 309.
- DUTTON, Hely. ''Statistical and agricultural survey of the county of Galway''. Dublin: Royal Dublin Society, 1824. : 415
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Galway, http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/default.html: Ardrahan Parish
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 321
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 149.
- SLATER, Isaac. ''Royal National Directory of Ireland: List of the principal seats''. (Manchester: 1894) : xxxiii, 14 (Tullira)
- BATEMAN, John. ''The great landowners of Great Britain and Ireland''. London: Harrison, 1883. : p.302
Modern printed sources
- SPELLISSY, Séan. ''The History of Galway''. Limerick: Celtic Bookshop, 1999. : 283-285.
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1912: 465.
- BENCE-JONES, Mark. ''A Guide to Irish Country Houses''. Revised ed. London: Constable, 1988. : 276-277 (Tulira)
- ''Tuam Herald'': Local Land Purchase. 11 June 1927
- ''Irish Arts Review'': NOLAN, J.C.M. Edward Martyn and guests. X (1994), 167-173.
- ''Irish Arts Review'': O'BYRNE, Robert. Tulira Castle, Gothic revival. XXI, 3 (2004), 124-129.
- ''Jnl. of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society'': DEUTSCH-BRADY, Chantal. The Cattle Drive of Tulira. XXXIV (1974-1975), 35-39
- ''Weekly Irish Times'': 8 Jan 1938 Tulira
- ''Irish Times'': Residential property, 3 October 2013
- HICKS, David. ''Irish country houses: portraits & painters''. Cork: The Collins Press, 2014. : pp.192-205.