Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Walpole

At the time of Griffith's Valuation George Walpole was the main tenant on the lands of Trilacroghan, parish of Kilgefin, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon, part of the Treston estate. 172 acres of Sheehaun (Morton) in the parish of Kilgefin, county Roscommon, plus the lands of Springfield and Carney Park, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary, the estate of William Calvert, were advertised for sale in June 1866 on Calvert's behalf and as trustee for sale for George and Joseph Walpole. The Bolton sale rental of 1854 records John Walpole as tenant of these lands. In the 1870s George Walpole of Castlenode, Strokestown, owned 694 acres in county Roscommon and smaller acreages in counties Tipperary, Offaly and Laois. George Walpole held land in the parish of Kilbarron and Robert Walpole held land in the parish of Finnoe, both in the barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary in the mid 19th century. George held his land from the Marquess of Ormond. William Walpole of Salisbury, Athy, county Kildare, owned 615 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Castlenode House Castlenode Bumlin Strokestown Strokestown 111 Roscommon Roscommon OSI Ref: M945 789
OS Sheet: 29
Discovery map: 40
Killaghy Killaghy Kilvemnon Callan Mullinahone Slievardagh Tipperary OSI Ref: S330 406
OS Sheet: 63
Discovery map: 67
Carney Castle Carneycastle Cloghprior Nenagh Cloghprior 8 Lower Ormond Tipperary OSI Ref: R875 899
OS Sheet: 10
Discovery map: 59

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Calvert & Walpole, 7 June 1866, Vol 81, MRGS 39/039, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Bolton, (Springfield & Carney Park), 21 Nov 1854, Vol 32 (2), MRGS 39/014, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources