The name Treston appears in the Claremorris/Ballyhaunis area of Co Mayo in the early 18th century.
|Treston||The name Treston appears in the Claremorris and Ballyhaunis area of county Mayo from the 18th century. They seem to have been closely associated with the Dillons of Feamore, parish of Bekan, barony of Costello. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, the Trestons held three townlands in the parish of Kilcolman and one townland in the parish of Mayo, barony of Clanmorris, previously part of the estate of Patrick Kirwan of Dalgan. They also held a townland in the parish of Bekan, barony of Costello, county Mayo and a townland in the parish of Kilgefin, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon. The representatives of John Treston of Carrownedan advertised 1625 acres for sale in counties Mayo and Roscommon in the Landed Estates' Court in 1865. The county Roscommon lands were in the baronies of Ballintober South and Frenchpark. In 1876 four Treston brothers held almost 1900 acres in county Mayo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Treston was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kiltullagh, barony of Castlereagh. In the 1870s James Treston of Tulrahan, Ballyhaunis owned over 180 acres in county Roscommon. 500 acres of the estate of Michael Francis Treston in the barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in July 1890.|
|Walpole||At the time of Griffith's Valuation George Walpole was the main tenant on the lands of Trilacroghan, parish of Kilgefin, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon, part of the Treston estate. 172 acres of Sheehaun (Morton) in the parish of Kilgefin, county Roscommon, plus the lands of Springfield and Carney Park, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary, the estate of William Calvert, were advertised for sale in June 1866 on Calvert's behalf and as trustee for sale for George and Joseph Walpole. The Bolton sale rental of 1854 records John Walpole as tenant of these lands. In the 1870s George Walpole of Castlenode, Strokestown, owned 694 acres in county Roscommon and smaller acreages in counties Tipperary, Offaly and Laois. George Walpole held land in the parish of Kilbarron and Robert Walpole held land in the parish of Finnoe, both in the barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary in the mid 19th century. George held his land from the Marquess of Ormond. William Walpole of Salisbury, Athy, county Kildare, owned 615 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s.|