The name Treston appears in the Claremorris and Ballyhaunis area of county Mayo from the 18th century. They seem to have been closely associated with the Dillons of Feamore, parish of Bekan, barony of Costello. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, the Trestons held three townlands in the parish of Kilcolman and one townland in the parish of Mayo, barony of Clanmorris, previously part of the estate of Patrick Kirwan of Dalgan. They also held a townland in the parish of Bekan, barony of Costello, county Mayo and a townland in the parish of Kilgefin, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon. The representatives of John Treston of Carrownedan advertised 1625 acres for sale in counties Mayo and Roscommon in the Landed Estates' Court in 1865. The county Roscommon lands were in the baronies of Ballintober South and Frenchpark. In 1876 four Treston brothers held almost 1900 acres in county Mayo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Treston was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kiltullagh, barony of Castlereagh. In the 1870s James Treston of Tulrahan, Ballyhaunis owned over 180 acres in county Roscommon. 500 acres of the estate of Michael Francis Treston in the barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in July 1890.
- Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Treston, 17 Nov 1865, Vol 79, MRGS 39/038, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Treston, 17 Nov 1865, 14 June 1866 & 4 June 1880, Vol 79, 81 & 139, MRGS 39/038, 39/039 & 39/062, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Copy of conveyance Landed Estates' Court to John P.Treston, 31 July 1867. Small Accs. Index 8, LEC 41; National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court rental, 17 Nov 1865.; Mayo County Library
- Crown and Peace Records, Register of Trees, Co Mayo 1775-1919. ID/51/62; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 312
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 451
Modern printed sources
- ''Jnl. of the South Mayo Family Research Society'': TRESTON, James Denis. The Treston Family of Mayo. VI (1991), 57-66
- COMER, Michael and Ó MURAÍLE, Nollaig (eds.). ''BÉACÁN/BEKAN Portrait of an East Mayo Parish''. Castlebar: Connaught Telegraph, 1986: HEANEY, Fr Martin J. and GREENE, Joe. Families of note in bygone days. 153-156
- ''Irish Times'': Notice of forthcoming sale, 30 June 1890, p.1.