Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dillon (Feamore)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Malone The Malones of Ballynahown, county Westmeath, were closely related to the Brownes of Westport House, barony of Murrisk, county Mayo and to the Dillon family of Feamore, barony of Costello. They were involved in the sale of the confiscated estate of Gerald Dillon of Feamore, after the Jacobite War. Documents in the Westport Estate Papers indicate that the Malones were leasing lands, including Boleyboy and Levallyroe, from the Dillons in the 1680s. An advertisement in ''Faulkner's Journal'' of 10 Oct 1752 lists 2956 acres for sale in the barony of Costello, the estate of the Honourable Anthony Malone, including Feamore and Levallyroe. The Malones also held land in county Roscommon, Edmond Malone having received a grant of lands in counties Roscommon, Galway and Mayo in August 1678. The county Roscommon estate of Richard Malone in the parishes of Cloonygormican and Oran, barony of Ballymoe, along with lands in counties Longford, Cavan, Westmeath and the city of Dublin, was advertised for sale by the trustees of his will in November 1854. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Malone still held some land in the parish of Cloonygormican, orginally granted in 1678. He was possibly a member of a later generation of the Malone family of Baronston, county Westmeath.
Treston The name Treston appears in the Claremorris and Ballyhaunis area of county Mayo from the 18th century. They seem to have been closely associated with the Dillons of Feamore, parish of Bekan, barony of Costello. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, the Trestons held three townlands in the parish of Kilcolman and one townland in the parish of Mayo, barony of Clanmorris, previously part of the estate of Patrick Kirwan of Dalgan. They also held a townland in the parish of Bekan, barony of Costello, county Mayo and a townland in the parish of Kilgefin, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon. The representatives of John Treston of Carrownedan advertised 1625 acres for sale in counties Mayo and Roscommon in the Landed Estates' Court in 1865. The county Roscommon lands were in the baronies of Ballintober South and Frenchpark. In 1876 four Treston brothers held almost 1900 acres in county Mayo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Treston was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kiltullagh, barony of Castlereagh. In the 1870s James Treston of Tulrahan, Ballyhaunis owned over 180 acres in county Roscommon. 500 acres of the estate of Michael Francis Treston in the barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in July 1890.
Dillon (Feamore) Gerald Dillon of Feamore, Prime Serjeant and signatory to the Treaty of Limerick 1691, is well documented in the Westport Estate Papers. He was granted lands in counties Roscommon, Mayo and Galway, by patent dated 16 Aug 1677. His estates in the baronies of Costello and Clanmorris, county Mayo, and in counties Westmeath and Roscommon were confiscated at the end of the 17th century and sold to Bryan Higgins. His son was married to a sister of Anthony Malone and the Malones appear to have gained possession of the Dillon estate. In 1752 Luke Dillon held 802 acres of Feamore on a lease for three lives from Anthony Malone.
Bourke (Oldtown) A branch of the Bourkes of Carrowkeel and Curraghleagh, Walter Bourke of Oldtown married Cecilia Coghlan of Prospect, county Mayo and had five sons including Thomas Bourke of Rockfort, the Reverend Geoffrey Bourke and Surgeon Major Joseph Bourke. He held the townland of Ballinvilla at the time of Griffith's Valuation, part of the estate of the Blakes of Doonmacreena. In the 1870s Surgeon Major Joseph Bourke of Farnham, Hants, England owned 1394 acres in county Mayo. It was the threat of evictions on this estate that led to the large tenant right meeting in Irishtown in April 1879 and later that year to the establishment of the Land League.