||Daniel Grace traces the occupation of Castle Carney by members of the Grace, Chissers, Saunders, Hunt, Gamble and Nugent families. He writes that in 1797 Catherine Nugent married Arthur French, a Dublin attorney, and that their son, Arthur, came to live in his new house in the 1830s. Lewis describes Carney Castle in 1837 as the residence of A. French "a handsome modern house on part of the site of the ancient castle, now in ruins, and formerly the residence of the Grace family". At the time of Griffith's Valuation Eliza French held the house valued at £17 and 160 acres in fee. In the possession of the Walpole family in 1866. The Falkiner sale rental of June 1873 refers to the deed of partition of the lands of Carney Castle in 1862 and that the Castle Division was alloted to Mrs Eliza ffrench for life. The rental describes Mrs ffrench as "deceased" and that her interest was for sale by her four daughters.